Zero spending, could you do it?

Soldato
Quite easily, I did 8 weeks of 6 nights a week, only working and sleeping.

Didn’t touch a single penny, food and drink was provided by work and what I didn’t finish, I took home with me.

Direct debits etc still came out but I spent no money on myself.

I was working 12 hours until 6am, sleeping until 3pm and then chilling out before work, didn’t have time to spend money.

Soldato
With 4 daughters and christmas, I had to buy glue to fix my trainers. I can and have done so for years, but there is no point in doing so unless you have a long term goal and every penny counts. Life is too short to not set aside a little to treat yourself.

Soldato
I can go most weeks without spending anything bar bills. I'll have a blow out every so often but haven't bought clothes in years.

Need to buy some new shoes as soles are falling apart and missing about 2" of the tread now so leaking water in.... but I generally look after my stuff - only replace it when it is broken.

Soldato
I could do up to a year, probably. I have most of what I need. I've got loads of games in my backlog, so I could play a new game a day for at least a year and still have more to play. Hobbies wise, I've spent out on them already for the most part, so I could go up to a year not buying anything. The only thing that would get in the way would be if something broke, and I had to buy a new one.

Soldato
Minimalism works fine until you realise that you're wearing out your clothes and shoes twice as fast as you would have done without minimalism.
I don't think it stretches to owning one pair of shoes. Perhaps taken to the extreme, but many people have way more clothes/shoes than they actually use. I may have a clear out actually.

Associate
I could quite easily do this, infact I pretty much did when saving for a house deposit & don't really recall it being that detrimental to my lifestyle. Less extravagant holidays & I only had 1 car instead of 3.

Permabanned
My 2 main games I've played for 16 and 12 years lol.
TV/Movies cost nothing.
Wasting time on OCUK costs nothing.
I watch a lot of parliamentlive.tv, costs nothing.
Walking costs nothing.

Associate
Hard to define what is a necessary expense. People have differing ideas on that. For example I spent £100 on 5 shirts for work recently which felt like a lot. But to me it is a necessity as some of the ones I was wearing were 5 years old. Others would say unless there are holes then I'd not replace them. It all comes down to relativity in the end because the more money you have available, the more you will see purchases as necessary to maintain a certain quality of life.

If I cut spending right down to bills and food, then my house would begin to get shabby as there is always something that needs doing, or I wouldn't be able to cycle to work because some expense is always required to keep the bike going.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure I go 2 or 3 weeks all the time or even a month. If I have a book, or a game on the go I tend to focus on it till it is finished. Other hobbies are making music and photography and there are no consumables involved. I like reading the web on my iPad and listen to a lot of podcasts and that is all free.

Clothes I tend to go on a spree for so will go a couple of months without new ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom