Kerbal Space Program

Soldato
Just been reading the website:

Planned Features:
Take on Missions to attract interest in your Space Program. Or use the Mission Planner to create your own missions.
Manage your Space Program. Hire astronauts, train them, research and improve parts.
Fly out to Moons and other Planets
Build Space Stations, and surface bases on other worlds.
And a whole lot more!

:D can't wait.

Soldato
Right, i challenge somebody to beat this using only one engine and not being able to move the camera.

oNPAJl.png.jpg

Was still going but i got bored :p I very nearly managed to complete an orbit and land safely with the same craft but just ran out of fuel at 600m, so i went 50m/s tail first into the ground, and adding a parachute and/or stage separator was just too much weight for it to lift.

Soldato
Just been reading the website:

Planned Features:
Take on Missions to attract interest in your Space Program. Or use the Mission Planner to create your own missions.
Manage your Space Program. Hire astronauts, train them, research and improve parts.
Fly out to Moons and other Planets
Build Space Stations, and surface bases on other worlds.
And a whole lot more!

:D can't wait.

Until then you might want to check out Orbiter, also free but much more fully featured... well, in a way. It doesn't have sound by default, but there's tons of add ons you can get for it :p

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Soldato
Right, i challenge somebody to beat this using only one engine and not being able to move the camera.

challenge-accepted.png

KSP2011-07-1419-50-29-76.jpg

Soldato
Just made a rather awesome spacecraft, only trouble is I was trying to achieve a stable orbit around 50km up. I appear to have overshot rather, reached 2200km and was still going around 1200m/s so I decided to use my last tank of fuel to try and bring my kerples back to earth. My altitude is dropping but I've no idea if I will just slingshot past or actually grab the atmosphere enough to slow down. I think that if I were murderous enough I could have used the last of the fuel to achieve escape velocity easily enough.

This game definitely makes you think a lot about how orbits work :)

Soldato
Looks like it's a slingshot orbit, this is taken as I passed over the base:

KSP2.jpg

My closest distance was around 350km, with an orbit time of around 1hr30m. Not sure if I want to wait another 45 minutes to see what my greatest distance is, I doubt I will get out as far as 2200km again but lets see :)

Associate
Managed to get into a nice stable orbit for once! You have to be pretty exact with your altitude and horizontal speed.

Never thought I'd have to use Newton's Laws of gravity in a game before :p

Back
Top Bottom