***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Purchased a 34c and a sample pack along with a few other bits as I need to try this type of shaving and thought now is a good time as I just can't get along with any cartridge razor, never happy with the finish. Cost wasn't so bad as king of shaves sent me two razors and lots of free cartridges but the shave isn't close enough!

Think I've got the jist of it after watching a few video's, best razor to use first time? Anything but the feathers?

My first blade was a feather, in a shavette no less. As long as you respect the razor and are mindfull of it you wouldn't have an issue. you will get nicks or spotting either way when your first dipping your toe in the water, it is to be expected.

Got my slant bar yesterday, couldn't wait to try it so even though i didn't feel i had enough growth to shave comfortably i went ahead. Quite immpressed with it, lovely close shave and very easy to navigate my chin area, i think i will be using a combination of the slant and shavette for my shaves as the shavette is better suited for my neck, thinner hair with softer skin.

Last edited:
Associate
Okay cheers guys i'll have a look over and start on derby's or the mildest razor and see how i get on.. won't be any worst then the Azor 5 cartridge either-way.

No pressure, weight of the shaver only... Only area where i think i will have a problem is the frontal chin area, just where it curves under is where the thickest and dense hair is.

Soldato
I tried the Derby shave stick i got from bestshave last night. It was very similar to Arko, excellent lather but it smells of household cleaner.

So at the end of the day, neither Arko or Derby will get any use.

I'll stick with my normal soaps as they are all excellent in performance and smell much better.

I recommend the following soaps in no particular order:-

- MWF
- VITOS Super Extra Coconut
- Lea stick
- D R Harris Almond
- D R Harris Windsor
- Proraso Menthol

Associate
30t40eu.jpg

Found 600 Wilkinson Sword DE razors dated 1981 in my grandfathers house :)

I love an old British Wilkie. If you're thinking of selling any of them I'd be well up for buying some.

Soldato
Tried my Israeli made blades yesterday in the slant, very impressed with them indeed. might have to trade some of my feathers for some other blades to try out. Really enjoying the slant too, much different experience to the shavette.

Soldato
Ingram is the business in this weather.

8627998458_40488cf331_z.jpg

(old pic)

Pros:
Natural ingredients.
Big menthol kick.
One of the best for post shave feel, probably down to the lanolin.
Made in Surrey.
Fairly cheap. £1.75p from superdrug
Light old school scent. (menthol with a touch of lemon, think Proraso without the eucalyptus)

Cons:
Prone to separation, possibly a due to a lack of heavy emulsifier/surfactant. Give it a shake and the water mixes back in easily enough.
A bit harder to lather than creams/soaps containing foaming detergents, especially with hard water, but get the water/cream ratio right and it's very good.
Amount of cream needed, which is almost double something like Palmolive/RS. (Who cares! It's cheap enough :p)

Conclusion:
A national treasure, try it out now! (unless you hate menthol :p)

Associate
Just had my first DE shave with my new Murker 34C....

Its flipping incredible! didn't cut myself and although a slight rash on my neck (to be expected with a new style of shaving and poor technique) its smooth as hell, defiantly liking this so far and should be even better once my face is used to it.

Soldato

Its flipping incredible! didn't cut myself and although a slight rash on my neck (to be expected with a new style of shaving and poor technique) its smooth as hell, defiantly liking this so far and should be even better once my face is used to it.

The rash looking effect is usually from being used to applying pressure, learnt not to, it was my biggest mistake starting out, I didn't even think I was applying pressure til you really learn to put nothing on the handle except to hold it in place.

Soldato

Welcome.

Associate
Cheers guys,

Cu3ed your probably right mate I did find myself applying pressure when I knew I shouldn't have just need a better brush and to try a few different blades used an astra first time and found it to be fine.

Soldato
I tried an Asco, an Egyptian blade. It wasn't fun. Dullish on the first shave and cut my face a bit. Felt like it was pulling rather than cutting. I threw it away - the first time I've not used a blade at least three times. A Feather Hi-Stainless went in and I'm back in my happy place.

Associate
On the few times i have tried my old mans DE razor (he uses an el cheapo plastic wilkinson sword razor and wilkinson sword blades) it always leaves me with a rash + bleeding (not through nicking myself, just sensitve skin i think.
Do you guys that use them regularly think i would be better off trying a Merkur or other type of metal DE or just give it a miss due to the cost of said razors (i could always pass it on to my dad if i don't get on with it) and the fact i have quite sensitive skin on my neck.

Soldato
On the few times i have tried my old mans DE razor (he uses an el cheapo plastic wilkinson sword razor and wilkinson sword blades) it always leaves me with a rash + bleeding (not through nicking myself, just sensitve skin i think.
Do you guys that use them regularly think i would be better off trying a Merkur or other type of metal DE or just give it a miss due to the cost of said razors (i could always pass it on to my dad if i don't get on with it) and the fact i have quite sensitive skin on my neck.

I have quite sensitive skin, too. (With Mach Quattro cartridge razors I'd get ingrowing hairs, razor burn and shaving spots. With DE, I get almost none of that.) The shaver must make a difference, although I've only ever used one - a Merkur - so I can't tell you about that, but the blades make a big difference. Your dad's Wilkinson Sword blades just might not be right for you. Check your technique (no pressure, correct angles of attack, flattening the skin, study your 'grain', etc) and use a pre-shave oil to lubricate the blade's passage. I find the oil helps and they can be found cheap in the supermarkets. Get a variety of blades and try them out until you find the correct ones for your skin. They are darned cheap, too.

Good luck.

Soldato
OP
^ Nice one :cool:

Diamond Edge sell the Super (aka Simpsons best) version for £16.20, they've even added two more sizes. It's much better than the scratchy Pure badger version.

http://diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Progress-Vulfix-shaving-brushes.html

Ingram is the business in this weather.

(old pic)

Pros:
Natural ingredients.
Big menthol kick.
One of the best for post shave feel, probably down to the lanolin.
Made in Surrey.
Fairly cheap. £1.75p from superdrug
Light old school scent. (menthol with a touch of lemon, think Proraso without the eucalyptus)

Cons:
Prone to separation, possibly a due to a lack of heavy emulsifier/surfactant. Give it a shake and the water mixes back in easily enough.
A bit harder to lather than creams/soaps containing foaming detergents, especially with hard water, but get the water/cream ratio right and it's very good.
Amount of cream needed, which is almost double something like Palmolive/RS. (Who cares! It's cheap enough :p)

Conclusion:
A national treasure, try it out now! (unless you hate menthol :p)

Thanks, chopped you into the OP :)

Associate
I have quite sensitive skin, too. (With Mach Quattro cartridge razors I'd get ingrowing hairs, razor burn and shaving spots. With DE, I get almost none of that.) The shaver must make a difference, although I've only ever used one - a Merkur - so I can't tell you about that, but the blades make a big difference. Your dad's Wilkinson Sword blades just might not be right for you. Check your technique (no pressure, correct angles of attack, flattening the skin, study your 'grain', etc) and use a pre-shave oil to lubricate the blade's passage. I find the oil helps and they can be found cheap in the supermarkets. Get a variety of blades and try them out until you find the correct ones for your skin. They are darned cheap, too.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.Think i will pick one up to try and get a sample pack of blades and pre-shave oil.Always used to have a bit of trouble with Mach 3 blades causing a bit of a rash(to face and wallet) so switched to a morrisons own brand 3 blade razor which causes less irritation but doesn't shave as close due to the blades being slightly closer together.

Back
Top Bottom