***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Strong opening post. Let the old one rot. People were asking the same old questions over and over, anyway. Now they can all be pointed to the OP. Good job.

Soldato
Well I love my shavette, best shave I have ever had and my neck is clear of rash almost completely now, years of abuse from cartridge razors ranging from bic's to sensors & mach 3's has taking quite some time to heal and diminish the raw spotty look my neck had, ingrown free now as well.

I honestly can not think of anything more unappealing than going back to cartridge razors that shred my face to bits.

In other news i have finally ordered my Merkur 37c slant bar razor. I threw in my basket 30 feathers and also some Israeli made blades as the free gift from the Shaving shack for a try. It should be in my hands by Thursday.Has any one else used a slant bar? would love to hear your opinions.

As far as soaps and creams go, i can highly recommend The Palmolive stick to new DE shavers, for 50p i honestly do not think it can be beaten for quality and results, I use it each and every time over my Taylor of old bond street cream.
Obviously opinion is very subjective but it for me is a fantastic product and i would love something else similar to add to my collection, the cream though doesn't seem to cut it for me compared to the stick.

Caporegime
I like my DE from a VFM stance, but my Profusion does as good a job much quicker, but at a massively higher price-point :(

What I have found is that I can go against the grain with my Profusion (super smooth) with no rash or irritation, but doing it with my DE is rashy mess.

I only shave twice a week.

Soldato
the 37c slant is great but i prefer an open comb. ill put my slant shaving video on after work. i went out last night :)

Cheers, i have heard it is a more aggressive shave, i think after getting quite proficient with the shavette straight razor it shouldn't be a problem as that is all i use but i think the slant will offer a little more versatility with my dimpled chin and awkward contours under my chin. I have quite coarse hair and sensitive skin so im hoping the slants aggressive shave benefits that.

Im thinking that if the shaver suits my face i may look at an adjustable that can be set for even more aggressive an angle on the blade.

Associate
30t40eu.jpg

Found 600 Wilkinson Sword DE razors dated 1981 in my grandfathers house :)

Soldato
Nice vid scorch, certainly looks a tamer beast than i was expecting.

On the subject of growth, your growth in that vid is about equivalent to 36 hours of growth for me, my facial hair is so thick so fast its unmanageable for a constant clean shaven look, shaving with the growth you had is still risky business for me and even with my shavette and a fresh feather can still leave me in pain so i tend to leave it atleast 2 & 1/2 days, 3 or more and i know im safe for a super close shave. Fancied making a shave vid but i know it will be the day i nick my self to bits... it's sods law!

Associate
i would not recommend using them mate, the blades back then were not a patch on the methods used today, give it a careful try with one maybe but be very very cautious

I hope this is a joke, these are some of the best blades out there, supperb quality.

Nice find! Chuck them on ebay asap, esp with this thread still running > http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/349341-So-How-far-would-YOU-go

Sounds a good idea! What do you think, should I sell in singles, per box or all 3 etc?

Associate
i started selling blades on ebay, so far its very slow the only ones ive sold are russian voskhods because you cant get them over here. The sampler packs ive put together are going nowhere its a flooded market sadly.

Soldato
Most people on the shaving forums buy Voskhod's/Sputniks/Rapira Swedish etc.. in bulk direct from Russia from unuta77, it might be why you are struggling.

I had a sample pack of all the blades a while back from him.

This is probably the best Blade sample pack i've seen though Starter Blade Pack
------------------

My Bestshave bits arrived yesterday, not bad i only ordered them on 19th, so 5 days from Turkey. I took advantage of the free shipping on $50+ orders, Customs ignored the package too.

The Astra's have only just come back into stock and are in new style packaging which is a result. No more annoying wax spots, just 2 small spots in the centre, single wrapped like all the new blades from that Russian factory.

M9KIBhaM

The £2.36 razor has a merkur copy head, good weight, poor finish. If i can get the base, cap and a blade lined up properly i'll try it. The base and cap can be adjusted like you can the blade as the pegs are too small, doh! The head fits my Weber Bulldog and UFO Kaiser.

4VeK3ysb

The No.6 brush looks like Boar but is softer and has a different stink, is that really horse? random glue visible, but at the price (£1.68) i'm not complaining!

Astra SP (£5.81 for 100) and Rapira Super Stainless (£4.41 for 100) are both great blades, the Astra's in my OC's and Rapira in my SB razors. That's 7-8 years of blades sorted.

Nice lather from Arko on par with my normal soaps (MWF, Lea, VITOS, Proraso, D R Harris), it smells like household cleaner though, the Derby stick smells a bit different, will give that a go on my next shave and see what it's like.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I need some advice.

I dropped my Futur in the shower and the cap became detached from the base and the blade popped out. No problem, I thought, I'll just put it back together. This worked but now when I 'tighten' it the mark sits at 3 rather than at 1.

Thoughts on how to fix this or on whether it's important, i.e. if I normally shaved on 6 do I just add an additional three?

Associate
800 blades lol, good man. you should try the polsilver super iridiums ( not from best shave) too expensive but cheap on ebay, the best blades ive used. Those brushes arent bad for a couple of quid ive got a few of them. Do you rate the sharks? they are cheap on best shave

Back
Top Bottom