Fastershire / Gigagclear 1000Mbps fibre to the property

Soldato
OP
Tada!!!

2016-02-05%2023.02.06_zpsqzgena55.jpg

2016-02-052023.02.22_zpsdniulnhp.jpg

2016-02-05%2023.02.35_zpsedz3lamf.jpg

Associate
I can't wait to show this thread to my mate. He lives on a new development just south of Gloucester and has ADSL. He's constantly bitching about it.
He's been on to MP's and all sorts trying to get a better connection :D

Soldato
OP
Was getting there today..... until it started to lash down and blow a gale. :mad:

Rain stop play til next week. :(

2016-02-07%2014.08.28%20HDR_zpsbbzmcehv.jpg

Soldato
The guy's got a point though - 10Gb split across 300 subscribers isn't a lot of capacity, and prevents the sale of high value business-grade services. It also sounds like the topology is subscriber -> chassis switch -> backhaul, so you'd better hope that the switches are intelligent enough to do QoS otherwise some expensive upgrades will be needed to cover subscriber growth.

I fully commend these community FTTH efforts, but I think wireless has a potential that is yet to be realised as well.

Wireless should not be viewed as an alternative to FTTH. There is no alternative, FTTH is the most reliable and fastest way to deliver data. Every year furthers the need for widespread FTTH.

All other data delivery methods suffer from interference, limited range and reliability. They are all antiquated.

Once the rest of Europe completely humiliates us Broadband speed/reliability wise, the government will be forced to step in and fund a full FTTH rollout.

Soldato
OP
Are you going deeper? That looks too shallow!

Yes, that's just the tarmac removed to see where I can sit the pipe as the footings for the edging strips are getting in the way.
Having now seen the termination ends on the fibre, they will (should) slide up a bit of blue PVC water pipe quite nicely..
Planning on doing that now... subject to modification of course :D
Plan be will be bed of sand, pegged or mortared in, covered with sand and then tarmaced back over.

Soldato
Good stuff, I think you mean MDPE water pipe? I can't remember which is cheaper out of Blue, Black and Yellow.

Blue is potable drinking water, black is non potable and yellow will make anyone who finds It with a spade run for miles in fear of gas :D

Soldato
OP
The cable has entered the building!!!!!!!!!

Finally had a decent weekend where it all came together.
It's been a lot of too cold / too wet / no tools / too knackered to do it this last month.

One last hole up into the attic after dinner and I think we are there.. been a pain in the ass feeding all the cable through as I only needed about 50m but self install kit was 100m and it can't be cut :o
So it's been birds nest city today and a few toys left the pram but it's underground (in black waste water pipe 20mm O/D (basically the same as the blue MDPE but UV stabilised))

2016-02-28%2017.40.48_zpstmmz1klg.jpg

2016-02-28%2017.41.11_zpskooypzli.jpg

Soldato
OP
It's up. First test immediately after connection was 500 up 900 down.
But away for work now so can't play with it ::o:rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
I shall have to have a conversation with Gigaclear I think..
As although the speed is fast... it is not what I signed up for!
If they can't deliver it after no doubt jumping through a load of test hoops and bull**** I will downgrade the service to their 200/200 for about half the cost!

Current speeds tonight on their test page..
speedtest%20giga_zpssl0owabh.png

Soldato
OP
Oh wait a minute, it looks like the issue is inside my house. :(

Just downloaded a bit of software to test my own LAN and the download result is rather close to the download test speed above! ****sticks!

LAN%20test1_zpsyytipaey.png

Caporegime
Those stats are all kinds of wrong anyway - you aren't reading at 7Gbps for example.

Try a bunch of devices, all wired, see what you get. I think Gigaclear only backhaul with a single 10Gbps link per cabinet so it's not unexpected that you won't get a solid gigabit all the time.

If they host an FTP server for the benefit of speed testing then try that to rule out their own interconnects.

V F

V F

Soldato
Wireless should not be viewed as an alternative to FTTH. There is no alternative, FTTH is the most reliable and fastest way to deliver data. Every year furthers the need for widespread FTTH.

All other data delivery methods suffer from interference, limited range and reliability. They are all antiquated.

Once the rest of Europe completely humiliates us Broadband speed/reliability wise, the government will be forced to step in and fund a full FTTH rollout.

Isn't it funny how we've always to be embarrassed/shamed into it.

Associate
I shall have to have a conversation with Gigaclear I think..
As although the speed is fast... it is not what I signed up for!
If they can't deliver it after no doubt jumping through a load of test hoops and bull**** I will downgrade the service to their 200/200 for about half the cost!

Current speeds tonight on their test page..

Errrr Fuzz? Is that your IP address? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom