Fastershire / Gigagclear 1000Mbps fibre to the property

Soldato
OP
Hahaha the BT joke was pretty good but the icing on the cake was the BT guy in the audience during questions at the end..

Definitely on board with these guys :cool:

Associate
On plusnet's 76/20 service atm, getting 50 down. Happy with the download speed, don't really have a need for more, but would be nice if I could more than the 6mb upload I do currently.

I must have gotten lucky in a previous property on virgin media, it was always at or slightly faster than the 30mb I paid for even during peak times.

Associate
I'm on Talktalks 80/20 fibre which I get pretty close to. Would love gigabit just to try game streaming from at home.

4793452294.png

Caporegime
You can stream 720p comfortably with 5Mbps, so there's no reason why you can't do game streaming from home with the connection that you've got.

Caporegime
That wouldn't change if you had gigabit fibre connected to the same ISP though. If your speeds drop massively during peak times then switch to a different provider.

Caporegime
Hahaha the BT joke was pretty good but the icing on the cake was the BT guy in the audience during questions at the end..

Definitely on board with these guys :cool:

The guy's got a point though - 10Gb split across 300 subscribers isn't a lot of capacity, and prevents the sale of high value business-grade services. It also sounds like the topology is subscriber -> chassis switch -> backhaul, so you'd better hope that the switches are intelligent enough to do QoS otherwise some expensive upgrades will be needed to cover subscriber growth.

I fully commend these community FTTH efforts, but I think wireless has a potential that is yet to be realised as well.

Soldato
The guy's got a point though - 10Gb split across 300 subscribers isn't a lot of capacity, and prevents the sale of high value business-grade services. It also sounds like the topology is subscriber -> chassis switch -> backhaul, so you'd better hope that the switches are intelligent enough to do QoS otherwise some expensive upgrades will be needed to cover subscriber growth.

I fully commend these community FTTH efforts, but I think wireless has a potential that is yet to be realised as well.

Is this linked to B4RN?

Last edited:
Soldato
4794634149.png

not bad for 25 quid a month with no line rental, never had any slow downs at all!

I have no need for uploading large amounts of data, so perfect for me

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Our village has been flyered for this, i really hope they built it out to us. The next village over is already live a couple of miles away.

Post some results when its live :)

Back
Top Bottom