Fastershire / Gigagclear 1000Mbps fibre to the property

Soldato
OP
Our village has been flyered for this, i really hope they built it out to us. The next village over is already live a couple of miles away.

Post some results when its live :)

Will do, came home to an already tarmaced trench across my frontage and my front lawn is a pile of dirt at the moment. :D

Soldato
My parents are moving to address barely capable of 1Mbit. BT "fibre" is due soon but they're about 1.4km from the cabinet, I'd be surprised if they can get >20Mbit with "fibre"

Soldato
OP
A few bits turned up to keep me busy while they finish digging outside.

2015-11-03%2018.20.20_zpsr8bgreez.jpg

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Aweome...Make sure you take some pics of the install and an insight into what the termination equipment etc is like :)

Soldato
OP
Will do as I've gone for the self install option at £68 for 100m of the kevlar "road fibre" into my house. I can't dig the trench yet until I find out where they decide to put the connection point.
If they put it near my drive I shall havce to run it down the edge of the drive which means digging up the tarmac.
Hopefully they put it a little further down the verge so I can come straight across the garden.

This is what you get from Gigaclear for the "self install"
Video should start in the correct place (unless you want to watch it all :D)

Edit, OK that didn't work... start it at 1.34

Caporegime
Presumably if they haven't put it in yet then you can crack out a can of line paint and spray a "fibre here please" square onto your front yard?

Soldato
OP
Hahaha :D
I did think about leaving a little note..
The guys actually doing the digging contract (Complete Utilities) I actually know through their bosses race car ( The cream coloured Herbie if you remember it)
I've already said to their boss "hope your lads to a good job" :D

Caporegime
Why did you buy FTP Cat6A and plastic modules?

5Gbps headline speeds is just being announced because it's cheaper than paying for advertising. They are pretty open about backhauling an entire village on a single 10Gbps link so I can't see the point of paying a ton more to go from an already incredibly quick 1Gbps to 5Gbps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The modules were specific to that cable as it's solid core type.
Both modules and cable were Cat6a specific.
The end connectors I didn't use after a little redesign as I bought enough patch cables to go from both ends of the patress mounted modules
4 gang module in the attic
2 gang in one room and another 2 gang in another.
So now the cable is mounted solidly and the patch cables that are multi strand can be moved around a bit with less issue.

Caporegime
I meant that you appear to have bought shielded cable and patch leads but are passing them through plastic modules that don't maintain the shield.

Edit: Appears that Connectix make FTP jacks that don't look like FTP jacks. Stealthy.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dear Andy,

Excellent news! Your Gigaclear ultrafast fibre broadband service is on its way! Our contractors have been building your fibre-optic network in your community.

Here's a quick look at what we have been doing in your local area as we continue to build the network.

The Gigaclear fibre cabinet went live at the beginning of December 2015 which enables us to test individual connections before they can be made live for customer use.

The fibre broadband connection points (pots) at the boundary of each property will be tested and expected to be useable by our customers between the middle of December 2015 and the end of December 2015.

Customers that have not had their in-property installation performed will need to arrange for this to take place. Please see instructions below on installation options.

We anticipate the Gigaclear network build to be completed by the end of December 2015.

Self-installation.
Customers that have selected the self-install option, will be contacted to verify the cable length required (the distance between your fibre 'pot' and the location required for the router in your property) and informed when their self-install kit will be despatched*.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Soldato
:D I look forward to you getting this inter web:D I am quite curious about services like steam/origin haha if you will actually be able to max out your speed on them! If you can then that's amazing and I want it even more haha also uploading for instance to YouTube

(Trivia : my auto correct changed YouTube to your butt)

Associate
I have Gigaclear FTTP. My bottleneck is more likely to be my disk than my connection now :) I regularly do 5-6TB/month in data transfer and they've never complained about it to me. It takes YT longer to process a video than for me to upload it.

Welcome to the 21st century. Enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom