Huel: The Future of Food ..

Caporegime
I've become more interested in how this stuff spikes glucose levels after eating it. Anyone tested that with black edition? I've seen how RTD is pretty poor performing for glucose spikes and wondered if anyone has experience of the powdered. I much prefer the black edition over RTD as I like the texture better. RTD main ingredients are Tapioca flour and oat flour, starches which convert to glucose and cause the large spike. What I can see the Black edition has the Tapioca but not the oat flour.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else find that no matter how much you shake the hot & savoury bag each time you use it, you end up with too much powder at the end?

I've polished off 3 bags in last few days and all had extra creamy sauce :D
Nearing the end of my Cajun pasta and I’m certainly seeing more powder than pasta lol. I didn’t have that issue with chicken and mush!

Soldato
Hot & savoury Korma - oh dear, do not like, almost as bad as the tomato and herb. Not much flavour or texture to speak of.

I'll probably use it at home and add in some extra bits and pieces.

Soldato
2 bags of Cajun Pasta and a Huel Black Strawberry & Cream delivered.

Decanted one pouch of Cajun Pasta to an oxo airtight container and created an orange dust cloud in the process :o

I hate these pouches!

New Vitamin drink does look interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have got round to properly trying hot & savoury with the Bolognese, consistency is a bit iffy but overall enjoying it. Have today ordered the carbonara to try, along with the new vitamin drink https://uk.huel.com/products/huel-daily-a-z-vitamins
I always wondered why drinks like this always do 100% of daily intake, or for energy drinks 200% and more, why not do 80% or something less so your other consumptions make up the remainder to 100% ?

Caporegime
5.6% fruit juice from concentrate. So 5.6% sugar. No thanks.
I hate these pouches!

Same, I have tubs that take 1 complete bag of black edition but it's a complete bitch to pour it out and get it all out.

Strawberry and cream is one of my fav's. Even better with one frozen strawberry added.

They need to hurry up and get the daily greens released this side of the pond.

Caporegime
Looking at the breakdown the sugar is 0.9 per 100ml, so less than 1%?

It's 5.6% fruit juice from concentrate. Which ever way they want to spin it that's just sugar. I became very interested in this since Bartlett (on the board at Huel) has Jessie Inchauspé on his podcast. He hid the bottles of Huel when she came on and has every single time a nutrition expert has appeared. Ready to Drink gives a massive glucose spike. Her book is a fantastic read, every single person they have had on has stated if it says juice from concentrate, it's just another word for sugar and a way to hide sugars from food labels.

I've fallen for so many of the tricks myself, oats being a good breakfast etc. For a variety of reasons I've become very interested in what causes blood sugar spikes and what doesn't. :)

Soldato
The whole point of Huel is a balanced meal replacement, so you don't have to worry about carbs/fats/sugars/vitamins, etc. as it's already balanced.

That's what it is. It's not really designed as a body building super high protien drink.

So for example, you can have a shake with 2 spoons in lieu of lunch if you want to shed weight.

Or 3 scoops and a Sausage roll if you want to gain weight.

You know exactly how many calories are in any given measurment.. that's what it is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who recommended the regular banana flavour to me? I can't workout if I like or hate it :cry: It's about as nice as the Black Cookies and Cream but not as nice as the Black Strawberries and Cream and classic vanilla

Associate
I've always found banana flavoured protein shakes to be like that. Sometimes I like the artificial flavour but other times it's overbearing and just not nice!

Have had Huel myself before and did like the Strawberries and Cream one and think I once had a Salted Caramel which was great.

I tend to buy MyProtein Benu powder now though when on offer and the cinnamon bun flavour one is fantastic.

Soldato
So anyone who wants to get some new customer discounts, just use a new email. I used a fresh email for an order yesterday, got a free bag of Black thrown in worth £28, new t-shirt (they're so damn well made and comfortable, don't wear in public though) and the new shaker they sell for a tenner as well as a new hot huel pot and some scoops.

Back
Top Bottom