** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
FreeSync (or probably more Adaptive Sync VESA implementation) is young and its going to be the display scalar's that have this limited range, probably as they are the very first revision.

Im sure with time new monitors will ship with wider ranges available, however for me FPS limiting a game to <90hz works for me :)

Jim - ASUS any idea when these will be in stock ? iv got my finger on the BUY trigger, but wont pre order (you know what happens to ETA's ;) )

Soldato
So this is a freesync limitation?

Or is it an Asus Scaler of choice limitation?

Scalers are made by different vendors-MStar, Novatek and Realtek.

As reported ranges are 36-240Hz, 21-144Hz, 17-120Hz and 9-60Hz, did Asus go the cost effective route and use the cheapest to hit the target pp resulting in reduced range?

Clarification would be good, I imagine there is more to the story than a FreeSync limitation be it scaler/driver limitations.

Soldato
35-90Hz works for me. Keep the screen sub £500 and don't let the quality control slip like all the other monitor makers and I'll probably buy a couple of them.

Caporegime
35-90Hz works for me. Keep the screen sub £500 and don't let the quality control slip like all the other monitor makers and I'll probably buy a couple of them.

This!

QC is more of a concern for me, if this sucks i.e. bleed and/or severe IPS glow + dead pixels then it will be an instant no :(

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
I can't see how. Well not in the UK at least because it's not been released yet and Jim has just told us to expect 35-90Hz.

Caporegime
AMD have had well over a year to prepare drivers for when monitors would be available, it boggles the mind that they have waited until monitors were launched before lifting a finger they could have had the drivers ready months ago.

It boggles the mind that they held Xfire profiles back for a monitor release. :D

Associate
A real shame about this monitor. My real concern is also resolution scaling for plugging in things other than a PC (If I pay for a monitor I want it to work with as much tech as possible). On my current 1080p Asus VE278Q, plugging in a 768p tablet leaves massive black borders around the small space in the middle that is actually used. No options on the monitor or the tablet to stretch it to the full-screen. I hope this isn't an issue on this monitor. Though it could just be terrible Win8.1 not allowing the output to stretch, since games consoles fill the screen just fine.

Soldato
Or is it an Asus Scaler of choice limitation?

Scalers are made by different vendors-MStar, Novatek and Realtek.

As reported ranges are 36-240Hz, 21-144Hz, 17-120Hz and 9-60Hz, did Asus go the cost effective route and use the cheapest to hit the target pp resulting in reduced range?

Clarification would be good, I imagine there is more to the story than a FreeSync limitation be it scaler/driver limitations.

Those ranges were a pure fabrication before scalers had even been produced, there arent even any panels that support 9-21hz frequencies either.

Like it or not, "freesync" is the entire ecosystem, from drivers to gpu to scaler to panel. By removing themselves from the equation, AMD have given up control of key parts of the ecosystem and the end result is poor integration with problems like ghosting or limited ranges of operation being rife across multiple models.

If you buy a product labelled "freesync" it should be a case of getting a product that conforms to a standard, AMD sign off on every "freesync" product and should be acting as backstop to ensure a minimum viable product, so ultimately if products fall short of hype then it reflects on "freesync" as a whole.

Associate
Those ranges were a pure fabrication before scalers had even been produced, there arent even any panels that support 9-21hz frequencies either.

Like it or not, "freesync" is the entire ecosystem, from drivers to gpu to scaler to panel. By removing themselves from the equation, AMD have given up control of key parts of the ecosystem and the end result is poor integration with problems like ghosting or limited ranges of operation being rife across multiple models.

If you buy a product labelled "freesync" it should be a case of getting a product that conforms to a standard, AMD sign off on every "freesync" product and should be acting as backstop to ensure a minimum viable product, so ultimately if products fall short of hype then it reflects on "freesync" as a whole.

Would then be G Sync and cost more, but at least it work as described so must be something in it!!, glad i didn't wait as i had originally intended for the much hyped cheaper version of active sync....

Although it does appear to try and move the monitor sales forward and push people for a reason to upgrade we now have poor glow and bleed across what appears to be the majority of top end panels at the moment, poor qc and panels not delivering what was originally stated on the tin, maybe 24" 1080p @60hz was the best option, 5 years and not one problem and going strong on the second pc..

Last edited:
Associate
So, owing to engineering limitations it's not possible to provide FreeSync across the full range of frequencies (as you may have read about), and that's something that all manufacturers are working with.

If I'm not mistaken, BenQ XL2730Z supports the full range of freesync of 40-144hz.

Was really looking forward to purchasing this monitor, but this is a deal breaker for me.

Soldato

It was aimed at Jim - ASUS, a question added onto a question.

I'm asking for clarity, because after sending back a faulty BenQ XL2730Z with intermittent flickering, as yet I haven't ordered another FreeSync panel as I would like some answers first.

At this moment in time, Gsync works as advertised, FreeSync certainly isn't working as advertised.

AS works on the BenQ, if the OD can be firmware flashed at home- make no mistake, that panel is a winner, when AMA is on, there is a massive difference, next to no reviewers have saw AMA running as they wouldn't have known how to activate AMA as it's disabled and only works through ulmb.

If answers don't come from somewhere, the next monitor sitting in front of me will run Gsync-delivery is key as it's fell off a cliff since January.

Man of Honour
If I'm not mistaken, BenQ XL2730Z supports the full range of freesync of 40-144hz.

Was really looking forward to purchasing this monitor, but this is a deal breaker for me.

May be due to that panel being a TN, the IPS type tech ones seem to have more limited ranges.

Back
Top Bottom