0culusness - old oculus software.

Soldato
A little look round the 'classic' home...… from the first floor balcony.

Does this mean you got it working somehow???

I have been messing around with Unity and an assets extractor. But, I am not having much luck to be honest. I thought the media files for the home area would be more easily accessible.

Soldato
OP
Does this mean you got it working somehow???

I have been messing around with Unity and an assets extractor. But, I am not having much luck to be honest. I thought the media files for the home area would be more easily accessible.

Very sadly no. This is just one of the home environs for the Q2. Thanks for having a look at the problem though.

I even tried installing the latest version of the oculus software on another machine, and then replacing the oculus folder in program files with one copied from the old machine. The setup starts to run but the headset isn't picked up.

If by some miracle it could be made to work, rather than having a thousand yard active cable to a Rift S, it would be easier to run the S with the default cable to the PC and then lob the PC into a bergen with a standard domestic extension to run the PC in a big enough space.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd forgotten that when you pointed the hand controller at some of the plant pots and hit one of the buttons, the plant pots jumped.
50743141726_ec3ab89e9b_o_d.gif

Soldato
OP
Eureka-ka-ka!

Firstly I'd like to thank Mr @melmac, for taking the time and trouble to have a look at the issue I was having, trying to recover/restore some of the older oculus software from a system I had.

I wanted to revisit the old Oculus home with the radio and the koi pool and the jumping plant pots??? :eek::eek::eek:

It looks like the original home folders still work when run using the current Oculus PC software. Even with the Quest 2 and link. The VR hands are no longer visible and the library/menu screen is absent, which actually makes it better.
If anyone wants a copy of the old home room, avatar editor, dreamdeck and touch controller intro, featuring 'first contact' the zipped folders can be found here. They all also work offline as well.
https://mab.to/XvF74MbaH

Soldato
Eureka-ka-ka!

Firstly I'd like to thank Mr @melmac, for taking the time and trouble to have a look at the issue I was having, trying to recover/restore some of the older oculus software from a system I had.

I wanted to revisit the old Oculus home with the radio and the koi pool and the jumping plant pots??? :eek::eek::eek:

It looks like the original home folders still work when run using the current Oculus PC software. Even with the Quest 2 and link. The VR hands are no longer visible and the library/menu screen is absent, which actually makes it better.
If anyone wants a copy of the old home room, avatar editor, dreamdeck and touch controller intro, featuring 'first contact' the zipped folders can be found here. They all also work offline as well.
https://mab.to/XvF74MbaH

Hey, Well done!! How did you get it working?

Soldato
OP
Hey, Well done!! How did you get it working?

Cheers chap. My old working install had become corrupt when I whipped the HDD out to transfer the airship video into a machine that was connected to the internet to upload the first video.

The Oculus home files were zipped in the download cache and were unzipped in the old oculus install. I was just messing around, and plonked the unzipped home folder onto the new machine . I had the oculus software running on the new machine and double clicked on the home application file, and after a bit of egg-timer action I was back in the old home room.
After running it once, it adds the launch icon to your recently played games list, as seen in the video. You're still able to turn on the radio and change channel. The blimp still does it's thing during the day. The day/night must be linked to the PC time. The comet still appears near the moon. And the four plant pots jump when you point the controller at them and press on of the controller buttons. Just a great place to chill out with a glass of vino collapso. The uploaded files should last for a couple of days if you're interested.

Soldato
Cheers chap. My old working install had become corrupt when I whipped the HDD out to transfer the airship video into a machine that was connected to the internet to upload the first video.

The Oculus home files were zipped in the download cache and were unzipped in the old oculus install. I was just messing around, and plonked the unzipped home folder onto the new machine . I had the oculus software running on the new machine and double clicked on the home application file, and after a bit of egg-timer action I was back in the old home room.
After running it once, it adds the launch icon to your recently played games list, as seen in the video. You're still able to turn on the radio and change channel. The blimp still does it's thing during the day. The day/night must be linked to the PC time. The comet still appears near the moon. And the four plant pots jump when you point the controller at them and press on of the controller buttons. Just a great place to chill out with a glass of vino collapso. The uploaded files should last for a couple of days if you're interested.

haha, so simple in the end. I still have the downloaded files. I had been trying to get it uploaded into unity and transferred across as an APK into the quest 2.

I didn't think for a minute that the old version of Oculus home would work on the new software.

Fair play Drakulton!! All that Sherry has obviously helped you out :p

Soldato
OP
haha, so simple in the end. I still have the downloaded files. I had been trying to get it uploaded into unity and transferred across as an APK into the quest 2.

I didn't think for a minute that the old version of Oculus home would work on the new software.

Fair play Drakulton!! All that Sherry has obviously helped you out :p

It would be great to have it on the Q2 as well.

Soldato
OP
More sherry fuelled nonsense, and another thing ticked off the bucket list.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

A proper mooch round the old Oculus Home, using oculus quest 2 and link cable, attached to the backup PC, 4690K, (not backup 780Ti), attached to a 50m extension cable.
Recorded using the Q2 screen recorder.

Soldato
More sherry fuelled nonsense, and another thing ticked off the bucket list.

A proper mooch round the old Oculus Home, using oculus quest 2 and link cable, attached to the backup PC, 4690K, (not backup 780Ti), attached to a 50m extension cable.
Recorded using the Q2 screen recorder.

Nice one :) It does look cool to be able to walk around the whole environment like that. Surprised there are no easter eggs though.

You should have done some narration though, would have made the video a whole lot better.

I think you should drink more Sherry, you seem to accomplish a lot when you are drinking it! :p

Soldato
OP
Nice one :) It does look cool to be able to walk around the whole environment like that. Surprised there are no easter eggs though.

You should have done some narration though, would have made the video a whole lot better.

I think you should drink more Sherry, you seem to accomplish a lot when you are drinking it! :p

It was always a place I wanted to have a look around, but even with long cables for the headset and sensors it was just a no-go. Perhaps that's why the lack of easter eggs. Unless the jumping pot plants are easter eggs.

I don't think the world is ready for any narration in a west mids accent..... especially after some sherry.

I probably shouldn't drink anymore sherry than I'm currently doing.

Soldato
OP
Yes I tried that one, but I'm only getting an empty grey area when I run it. (Possibly the installed version adds something to the folder that isn't in the zip?)

Here you go chap... https://mab.to/E2Ul4XIr5 the link will only last a couple of days. I've put the old oculus avatar editor in as well so you can pew,pew at koy carp or create fireworks when you shoot at the sky.

Associate
Here you go chap... https://mab.to/E2Ul4XIr5 the link will only last a couple of days. I've put the old oculus avatar editor in as well so you can pew,pew at koy carp or create fireworks when you shoot at the sky.
Many thanks for the quick upload :) I never tried the avatar editor - so thanks for that too! The version you uploaded is about 4 times the size of the one from the link in the video comments, so that is probably why that one doesn't work.

When I start it up, I get the room with the fireplace, do you know how I can switch to the deck one with the radio and pond?

Back
Top Bottom