0culusness - old oculus software.

Associate
Many thanks for all the files, and for taking the time to upload them :)

I had a look at the avatar creator, and I remember it now. I think I had only tried it once originally to set up a very quick avatar and then got distracted by everything else there was to try. I can now shoot at the pond and set off fireworks again lol.

It would be nice to be able to use the jazz deck and the default home room instead of the current soulless one.

You can do that already if you follow my renaming/moving instructions in post 58, the rest of Oculus seems to be happy with this and works normally. The only downside is that you can't seem to interact with the radio or plants with the dash showing and the pointer disappears again with the dash off.

I think it would be possible to install the older version instead of the newer one, but I think it might break things in newer games, I remember reading something about Home 2.0 relying on Core 2.0, so anything else that does won't work with Core 1. I'll carry on trying frankenstein mixes of the two though to see if I can get the best of both worlds. If I have any positive results, I'll post them here :)

Soldato
OP
Nice work. I'm going to be looking at the old home again tonight. Jazz club here we come.
50742439333_1cc9762364_o_d.gif

Soldato
OP
Many thanks for all the files, and for taking the time to upload them :)

I had a look at the avatar creator, and I remember it now. I think I had only tried it once originally to set up a very quick avatar and then got distracted by everything else there was to try. I can now shoot at the pond and set off fireworks again lol.

You can do that already if you follow my renaming/moving instructions in post 58, the rest of Oculus seems to be happy with this and works normally. The only downside is that you can't seem to interact with the radio or plants with the dash showing and the pointer disappears again with the dash off.

I think it would be possible to install the older version instead of the newer one, but I think it might break things in newer games, I remember reading something about Home 2.0 relying on Core 2.0, so anything else that does won't work with Core 1. I'll carry on trying frankenstein mixes of the two though to see if I can get the best of both worlds. If I have any positive results, I'll post them here :)

just one question. How did you find the obscure video in the first place?

Associate
just one question. How did you find the obscure video in the first place?
I found this thread first and checked the page to your video to see if there were any more links as the ones that were here at the time were dead. The one linked from there in the oculus forum is a much smaller file and I don't think is complete (he does say that if you install it, oculus will download more stuff too, back when that installer still worked).

Associate
By the way, did you say you have a backup of the actual installed files? If so, have you tried running oculus-client to see if it opens up the old home with old menu and pointers (you'll need to close the existing client first)? I tried running it from the zip but it just closes instantly - so it probably isn't finding the files it needs in the right place.

EDIT: I tried extracting each to a separate file and switching the overall folder with the oculus Support one, the client starts up but doesn't activate the headset. It also adds every background app on my pc as "now playing" and if you start a VR app (I tried google earth) it starts to open up but then closes quickly, probably because it can't find the headset.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
By the way, did you say you have a backup of the actual installed files? If so, have you tried running oculus-client to see if it opens up the old home with old menu and pointers (you'll need to close the existing client first)? I tried running it from the zip but it just closes instantly - so it probably isn't finding the files it needs in the right place.

EDIT: I tried extracting each to a separate file and switching the overall folder with the oculus Support one, the client starts up but doesn't activate the headset. It also adds every background app on my pc as "now playing" and if you start a VR app (I tried google earth) it starts to open up but then closes quickly, probably because it can't find the headset.

Unfortunately, the install became corrupted when I switched the drive to another PC to transfer files over. Gutted!

Associate
I tried installing from your files on a VM but it does the same as the smaller one, needing an internet connection and downloading the latest version.

Soldato
OP
I tried installing from your files on a VM but it does the same as the smaller one, needing an internet connection and downloading the latest version.

I tried installing it but using wayback machine to get to an older oculus install process. It didn't work, but I may have been doing it wrong.

Associate
The setup exe I think can be anywhere, but the folder with zips needs to be called "OculusSetup-DownloadCache" (with any trailing letters removed) and put in the C: root folder. However, once the installer realises there is a newer version after checking online, it overwrites this folder with newer zips and ignores what was already there.

EDIT: There are a number of threads on the oculus site complaining there is not completely offline installer. The "offculus" app on github will restore a previously backed up installation, but you had to have run it at some point previously to make the backup it can use.

Soldato
OP
The setup exe I think can be anywhere, but the folder with zips needs to be called "OculusSetup-DownloadCache" (with any trailing letters removed) and put in the C: root folder. However, once the installer realises there is a newer version after checking online, it overwrites this folder with newer zips and ignores what was already there.

So I need to invent a time machine to go back to 2017 and install the software then, then. I can see why VR take-up is so low. tardis' not included.

Associate
At least you don't need a facebook account to use the rift (at least not yet!)
Maybe someone somewhere has an "offculus" backup from before Home 2.0 (although it looks like the app hasn't been around long enough for that).

Soldato
OP
At least you don't need a facebook account to use the rift (at least not yet!)
Maybe someone somewhere has an "offculus" backup from before Home 2.0 (although it looks like the app hasn't been around long enough for that).

Yes, having the old install working from 2017 without connecting to the interweb, and the old home plus the games I had installed on the machine worked perfectly.

Associate
An update, having gone through the batch files of "Offculus", it looks you might be able to convert your current oculus setup to the older one by replacing the Support folder with the extracted zips and then running the following:
...\Support\oculus-drivers\oculus-driver.exe
...\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServiceLauncher.exe -install -start

You'd then start oculus using
...\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe
(although this shoould be automatic)

I haven't tried this as I don't want to risk hosing my Oculus setup, if you want to try it I strongly suggest using something like macrium reflect (free) to backup your system first.

It is also possible that it will expect the files to be somewhere else other than Support afterwards, and even more possible this won't work at all. I'm not sure what the relevance or importance of the Oculus files outside the Support folder as these don't appear in the zips, but they look like they are mainly download folders and manifests.

EDIT: here is a reddit post I found with more or less the same instructions (they didnt include the ovrservicelauncher step, which might not be needed as this service just manages your library), so it might work.
https://reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/hnfhdx/psa_you_can_revert_oculus_drivers_to_fix/

I tried installing it but using wayback machine to get to an older oculus install process. It didn't work, but I may have been doing it wrong.
How good is your google-fu (or in this case wayback-machine-fu)? The first appearance of the jazz deck was the beta version that was in oculus 1.16. This version allowed you to launch the lanterns in the pond (which got removed later for some reason). Here's a video with the lanterns taking off:
https://youtu.be/RnRbg2oNZV8?t=68

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
After a 'couple' of festive sherries and listening to some jazz, one of the pot plants jumped even though I wasn't pointing either of my touch controllers at said pot. Pulled the trigger on the controller and the pot jumped again. Then realized that the targeting is done by the invisible pointer in the headset not the touch controllers. This makes it now very easy to turn the radio on and off and change station.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Associate
Amazing find :) - it would explain why turning the radio on appeared to be easier when I was standing up. (The lanterns still don't launch though lol).
You should market whatever it is you're adding to your sherry XD

Soldato
OP
Hey can i have a link to download the files?
@dinkywinks here you go chap. This is the full installer package, which no longer works..... unless you can make it work.

MyAirBridge Linky

There are the zipped 'home' and 'avatar editor' folders in the package. Unzip, plonk on your desktop and run the .exe file. You may need to do @DontFret's registry tweak, as there are two Oculus homes to chose from.

Back
Top Bottom