2022 QD-OLED thread

Associate
Just got the QN95B in 75 inch and while it's pretty decent so far I'm having an issue displaying 4k / 120 or 144hz on it from my pc. It's an i7 8700k with a 3070 and using an hdmi 2.1 cable. Screen just goes black when I try to enable 4k 120 or more.

Anyone run into similar issues? I have game mode enabled and it works ok on 60hz, have tried 3 different cables now.

Soldato
Just got the QN95B in 75 inch and while it's pretty decent so far I'm having an issue displaying 4k / 120 or 144hz on it from my pc. It's an i7 8700k with a 3070 and using an hdmi 2.1 cable. Screen just goes black when I try to enable 4k 120 or more.

Anyone run into similar issues? I have game mode enabled and it works ok on 60hz, have tried 3 different cables now.
Three of the same brand of cable? How long are they?

Soldato

The QN95B is a completely different TV than the ones this thread is about which is probably why not many people have seen or responded to your question.

Make sure the cables you get are certified. I use these 5m ones and they work fine with 120hz HDR VRR on the S95B:

Soldato
Oh my gosh, the build quality on these Samsungs is horrendous.

Just struggled to get my 65 inch out the box and one of the corners is completely bent (not the issue - seems like it was dropped before it was packaged up as the box was fine, but polystyrene was damaged inside), but also the panel itself was massively bent.

When I was getting it out of the box it was flexing massively.

Soldato

Just struggled to get my 65 inch out the box and one of the corners is completely bent (not the issue - seems like it was dropped before it was packaged up as the box was fine, but polystyrene was damaged inside), but also the panel itself was massively bent.

Bending is a common problem with thin TVs, they look nice but the thinner they get the more fragile they become

Soldato
Bending is a common problem with thin TVs, they look nice but the thinner they get the more fragile they become

I’ve never bent a TV before, having owned 2x LG OLEDs and also worked in John Lewis a few years back unboxing (thin) TVs on the regular.

The Samsung is worryingly flimsy. It’s really hard to explain, but it’s more like plastic than metal. The LG doesn’t really flex - the Samsung deformed like a piece of card.

Soldato
I’ve never bent a TV before, having owned 2x LG OLEDs and also worked in John Lewis a few years back unboxing (thin) TVs on the regular.

The Samsung is worryingly flimsy. It’s really hard to explain, but it’s more like plastic than metal. The LG doesn’t really flex - the Samsung deformed like a piece of card.
LG have a lightweight and thin, rigid frame that everything attaches to. That's why they feel so sturdy even though they're thin. Perhaps the Samsung doesn't have the full body frame, the frame may only exist as far as the VESA mount needs.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not Samsung build quality, that's a tV being treated like it's a football. I have never had any issue with any TV that I have moved (sometimes multiple times.) Treat them properly and they don't do that. It has been abused.

I disagree - a bent corner is due to it being poorly handled, but the flimsiness of the actual panel is just poor build.

Associate
I disagree - a bent corner is due to it being poorly handled, but the flimsiness of the actual panel is just poor build.
A TV is not designed to be abused - I could bend any flat screen tv if I didn't look after it. TVs are not designed to be manhandled and so build quality has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
A TV is not designed to be abused - I could bend any flat screen tv if I didn't look after it. TVs are not designed to be manhandled and so build quality has nothing to do with it.
Again, I disagree.

I’ve worked at John Lewis in the AV department, and have unboxed a lot of TVs, including LG OLEDs (and owned 2 of them).

The Samsung is the most flexible TV I’ve handled. It warped and bent just trying to move it from laying flat to upright, just like a piece of card.

Picking up the TV as per instructions is not “abusing” it.

No other TV has done this before. Even the two LG OLEDs have been very solid when moving them.

There’s a reason many of the S95Bs you’ll see in a shop are bent.

Soldato

You don't get it out of the box, you literally just lift the box up and off it, then lean it down onto the box with the white protective stuff still around it, attach the stand and lean it back to upright again.

When unboxing mine I barely even touched the panel and had the white protective stuff around it the whole time until it was on the unit where it will likely be for the next 5 years.

Yours looks like somebody tried to scrunch it up from the corner... Not saying it was you, but the force used to cause that damage would have damaged any flat screen TV.

Soldato
You don't get it out of the box, you literally just lift the box up and off it, then lean it down onto the box with the white protective stuff still around it, attach the stand and lean it back to upright again.

When unboxing mine I barely even touched the panel and had the white protective stuff around it the whole time until it was on the unit where it will likely be for the next 5 years.

Yours looks like somebody tried to scrunch it up from the corner... Not saying it was you, but the force used to cause that damage would have damaged any flat screen TV.
I just went by the instructions, which said to take the top part of the box off by lifting it, as you say (just like most TVs).

Then lifting the TV out of the remaining part of the box (which is what I was referring to) - this was the difficult bit. Because the corner was so bent, it was stuck into the polystyrene.

It then tells you to lay it flat on a flat surface, like a table. I went with my sofa as it’s deep and wide.

This is when I noticed the corner being bent

I put it straight back into the box, but when I did so, I had to rotate the TV from horizontal to vertical - this was the point where the sides flexed and warped like crazy. I’ve never had a TV do it to this extent before

I think using the box would be easier, as you can use it to rotate the TV, taking the pressure off any given point and distributing it across the entire TV, so I’ll do that when I get my replacement.

Crazy though - can’t believe you need to treat it this cautiously.

Last edited:
Soldato

Ended up returning this for a refund, because Samsung still haven't sorted a replacement.

I've then ordered it again for delivery tomorrow for £80 less than I paid, and including a Galaxy Watch 5 Pro for free :D

Soldato
So Samsung delivered 2 TVs yesterday, even though they've started the refund process for the broken one above :o

I took it as an opportunity to check both TVs for any bending, and I can confirm that neither are bent, but they are both curved, very subtly.

I spent a bit more time comparing the rigidity of the TVs, and the best way I can describe the difference is as follows:

The LG is like a MacBook display - very strong, even though it's still thin. You can bend it if you try, but it's pretty sturdy, and no cause of concern.

The Samsung is like a cheap laptop display - strong enough to live, but you can flex it with little to no effort. You can genuinely warp it like a big bit of card.

But man, once you turn on the TV, the picture quality, even compared to my CX, is phenomenal. I can't believe how much brighter it is, and how much brighter the colours are. Everything looks better on it!

Tizen and the remote are RUBBISH though. I can't figure out on the solar panel remote whether there's a button for source and one for settings - it seems as though in some circumstances, there are, but in others they do something different?

E.g. when I'm on YouTube and want to switch to Xbox, I can press what looks like a source button, and it brings up multi view. If I do it from Xbox though, it brings up sources?

Soldato
Tizen and the remote are RUBBISH though. I can't figure out on the solar panel remote whether there's a button for source and one for settings - it seems as though in some circumstances, there are, but in others they do something different?

E.g. when I'm on YouTube and want to switch to Xbox, I can press what looks like a source button, and it brings up multi view. If I do it from Xbox though, it brings up sources?
I find Tizen slow, it is the only thing that bugs me about this TV.

I always use the Home button and then select the app or source I want from there
As for settings, press the number button on the solar remote, then press up and it'll take you to various quick settings with the option of the full settings menu as well

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, was shocked at how slow Tizen can be at times.

What are these Q-OLED like on bright rooms, still a bit unsure about the whole burn in as well using it with a console for a long time.
The Samsung QN95B also looks good.

Bought a QN95B for our second home and it’s phenomenal.

Associate
went with the 65A95k myself. Had ordered the S95B, but after ordering saw fair amount of reviews about bent screens, and red lines. I'm working abroad, and it only came with 1 yrs warranty, and will be moving next year too. got nervous so paid up for the Sony...i went around 6 different showrooms where I am, and 4 of them had slightly bent screens on the display models. One showroom had the sony next to the sammy. Thought colours slightly more natural on the sony, Sammy being warmer looking with more orange. Other difference being the highlights popped more on the Sony. sounds way better too, but have a sonos beam so wouldn't of minded either way....other than that, both looked incredible, and at home wouldn't matter which you had, they'd both look stunning...would have preferred the 4 x 2.1 hdmi on sammy, but though durability to much of a risk for me. Arrives tomorrow. fingers crossed done the right thing. going in a room which is fairly bright during the day. hope the qd-oled can cope

Soldato
went with the 65A95k myself. Had ordered the S95B, but after ordering saw fair amount of reviews about bent screens, and red lines. I'm working abroad, and it only came with 1 yrs warranty, and will be moving next year too. got nervous so paid up for the Sony...i went around 6 different showrooms where I am, and 4 of them had slightly bent screens on the display models. One showroom had the sony next to the sammy. Thought colours slightly more natural on the sony, Sammy being warmer looking with more orange. Other difference being the highlights popped more on the Sony. sounds way better too, but have a sonos beam so wouldn't of minded either way....other than that, both looked incredible, and at home wouldn't matter which you had, they'd both look stunning...would have preferred the 4 x 2.1 hdmi on sammy, but though durability to much of a risk for me. Arrives tomorrow. fingers crossed done the right thing. going in a room which is fairly bright during the day. hope the qd-oled can cope
Love my Sony 65A95K TV the colours & Picture on it are so much brighter and looks much better then on my older sony 65AF9 OLED which i still have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom