2022 QD-OLED thread

Associate
Just goes to show that some people think brighter is better. That’s not the case here. Not good Samsung.

I would take a brighter than intended picture from a qd-oled than the hot mess that oled chroma overshoot gives. Got an oled for it's 'amazing' blacks and it turns out that it is by far its worst feature. Dark scenes are like watching a bad DVD rip from 20 years ago.

Soldato
I would take a brighter than intended picture from a qd-oled than the hot mess that oled chroma overshoot gives. Got an oled for it's 'amazing' blacks and it turns out that it is by far its worst feature. Dark scenes are like watching a bad DVD rip from 20 years ago.

Both my woled and QD-oled have the same issue you describe

Soldato
OP
This is what happens when Samsung doesn’t reinforce the panel, there are no problems with bent panels with the Sony A95K’s. I remember my first OLED an LG 55EA980 was reinforced with carbon fibre as LG wanted to show of how slim it was but knew it needed reinforced properly, Samsung I see dont want to put the effort in.

Associate
This is what happens when Samsung doesn’t reinforce the panel, there are no problems with bent panels with the Sony A95K’s. I remember my first OLED an LG 55EA980 was reinforced with carbon fibre as LG wanted to show of how slim it was but knew it needed reinforced properly, Samsung I see dont want to put the effort in.
That panel has been bent , no way was it made like that , more likely done in transit , its clear in the pictures its damage.

Soldato
Not sure if many TV remotes does this these days or if it mainly just a sony thing

But one i thing i love about my sony A95K is that i can use the sony TV remote to turn the TV & my PS5 on and the sony TV remote then also controls my PS5

The sony tv remote also controls my sky HD box but i guess most TV remotes will control a sky box these days

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if many TV remotes does this these days or if it mainly just a sony thing

But one i thing i love about my sony A95K is that i can use the sony TV remote to turn the TV & my PS5 on and the sony TV remote then also controls my PS5

The sony tv remote also controls my sky HD box but i guess most TV remotes will control a sky box these days

That is just HDMI-CEC and it's been around for years LG call it simple link and Sony call it Bravia link and Panasonic call it Viera link but and the end of the day it just a feature of HDMI.

Associate
Hey all I had a Samsung S95B that I sent back for poor Uniformity I was gonna get another one but I'm starting to think i should spend more for the Sony A95k anyone here seen both ? The stutter on 24fps content on the sammy was doing my head in, I know its the same panel in the sony but I hear the motion processing is better with sony so if help just a little on the lower settings without adding much soap opera effect I think that might be worth the extra dosh.

The auto dimming was doing my head in too and I didn't know the sony didn't have this due to a heatsink would I be right to assume that the added heatsink also helps with preventing burn in ? plan on playing games and I do watch a good amount of twitch with the chat to the side seen people post about the samsung getting burn in from desktop use but I cant find anything of the A95K.

Soldato
OP
Hey all I had a Samsung S95B that I sent back for poor Uniformity I was gonna get another one but I'm starting to think i should spend more for the Sony A95k anyone here seen both ? The stutter on 24fps content on the sammy was doing my head in, I know its the same panel in the sony but I hear the motion processing is better with sony so if help just a little on the lower settings without adding much soap opera effect I think that might be worth the extra dosh.

The auto dimming was doing my head in too and I didn't know the sony didn't have this due to a heatsink would I be right to assume that the added heatsink also helps with preventing burn in ? plan on playing games and I do watch a good amount of twitch with the chat to the side seen people post about the samsung getting burn in from desktop use but I cant find anything of the A95K.
I have the A95K and it’s by far the best TV I have ever owned, the processing and scaling is so far ahead of anything Samsung can put out.

Associate
I have the A95K and it’s by far the best TV I have ever owned, the processing and scaling is so far ahead of anything Samsung can put out.
Yeah but is it £1000 better ? any chance of Sony showing this years QD oleds at CES? if they'll have newer models that is.. ? another gripe I have is no doby vision at 120hz being a bit fossy with this one since I PC game and there like 3 games so far with it but who knows what the future holds. Also found out the sony still has dimming but in SDR only not an issue for me as I'm not a brightness nut and SDR shouldn't be at high brightness.

Caporegime
2000 nits with less power draw! Blimey.

This is why you don't jump on the bandwagon for Gen 1 technology.

Though If I hadn't only had a 77" G2 up for 6 months, I might be getting a 77" QD-OLED

Soldato

Though If I hadn't only had a 77" G2 up for 6 months, I might be getting a 77" QD-OLED
You jump in when you have to. Always something better year on year. 5 years seems to be the sweet spot for a significant jump between upgrades and getting your moneys worth.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm torn between and LG C2 or this S95B 65 inch. Both were hovering around 1500 Euros on Black Friday but I didn't bite.

Almost 5 year old C7 at the moment with burn in.

If we ignore the bent panel, as I would just return it and ask for a replacement, is there any tech that a C2 has that the Samsung doesn't, bar DV? I'm not concerned by laggy interface as the LG is quite laggy to be honest, it's no big deal when I mainly just use Netflix, D+ and Prime apps.

I would rather avoid LG if I can, purely cos they didn't offer me a cheap screen repair as they did others. If they had I'd stick with my C7 for a few more years till the burnin reappears ! Sony OLEDs are too pricey for me, so Samsung is the only quality option left, and I am intrigued by the increased brightness. Although as a man with a burnt in panel I doubt I will be cranking the brightness up on any future OLED without some trepidation :D

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato

That makes zero sense.
Next year could see 3000nits and further reduced consumption, does that mean these 2000nit TVs are suddenly useless?

You'll be waiting forever if you want to wait for the best.

Back
Top Bottom