Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies and Titanic finally get digital and 4K Blu-Ray release dates

Associate
I'm pretty sure I have them all on Laser Disc. Well if they haven't got disc rot from being stored in the loft all these years.

I thought the 4K transfer of Aliens looked superb

Soldato
I borrowed a digital 4K copy of The Abyss and a broken one of True Lies (cuts off during JLC's dance scene) for testing purposes and both are surprisingly good for sharpness, retained grain & lack of obvious AI sharpening/morphing etc. Understandably both of these "test only" copies obviously suffer from the effects of additional compression for the internet, so I would imagine they are a lower quality than the "real" versions available on iTunes etc. However, to see these looking so good even with all the extra compression etc makes me excited for the Blu-Rays in March as I prefer physical media, if we can actually get hold of any anyway.

There's no test versions of Aliens yet which is the one I'm most interested in and I find that a bit worrying based on the mess of the still images we saw earlier but I'd want to see it in motion first via the test copies before making a judgement call but if it matches the quality I've seen with The Abyss, which is similarly dark and blue-ish and grainy, then I'd be happy.

Soldato
Update - The 4k Theatrical cut of Aliens is available to borrow for testing purposes - It definitely looks better in motion than the still images of smeary AI faces shown earlier despite, again like above, the borrowed copy being compressed more than the "real" version will be. Although TBF if the Special Edition looks this good I'll be very happy!

Soldato
Watched the True like 4k digital copy a week ago. Overall not a bad copy and it looked great in some scenes.some scenes were a little waxy but as said overall not bad.

Scanned through a copy of Aliens 4k and that didn't look great tbh.

Titanic looked excellent on BR. A proper restoration that one as expected.

Associate
And reccomendation for my first 4K movie? - I've just stuck with BR's so far.

Something that really shows off what 4K can do.

Associate
What the ....

Anyone else get this from the rain forest, cant find any info on delays, but the product page now says 31 Dec 24.

Last edited:
Commissario
IIRC Amazon does, or used to always use December 24th as a placeholder date for if a pre-order looks like it's going to be delayed, or they don't have a concrete release date yet.

I think it was/is common for various retailers to use such dates, as it indicates it's not cancelled, but they don't have the full information yet.

Associate

Assuming you aren't limiting yourself to these movies, to show off 4k I think you're best finding one that has good HDR (assuming you have a good HDR TV). My first was the Revenant, and the opening shot of the light through the trees was really good - even my other half said "Wow", and she doesn't usually care if something is 4K or SD!!

Associate
I'm also waiting for the 4K Aliens. Probably my favourite movie of all time, it's been a long time coming.

I did see a fan 4k upscale of Aliens recently and that certainly had very smooth and waxy skin, the 4K in the preview video posted earlier in this thread look significantly better than this upscale did - I suspect some of the feedback I'd heard around the official 4K version may have been from people that thought the fan version was the official one.

Man of Honour

Oppenheimer, Tenet, Blade Runner 2049, Jaws, Braveheart, Alien, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Sicario, 1917, Murder on the Orient Express.

Any film with Roger Deakins as the cinematographer.

Soldato
Oppenheimer, Tenet, Blade Runner 2049, Jaws, Braveheart, Alien, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Sicario, 1917, Murder on the Orient Express.

Any film with Roger Deakins as the cinematographer.
I would add Pacific Rim, 4k HDR is the best imagery that I have seen with both of these on screen.

Soldato
Late to the party here but I hope the 4K version of Aliens is better than whatever is on Disney+ at the moment. The Disney version is super bright and completely lacking atmosphere. The set looks like something out of a soap opera

Back
Top Bottom