Apple vs Samsung, court orders Samsung to show Apple 5 new phones

Associate
Ahh i can understand that, but wouldnt that be down to the OS android? surely they should be sueing google? lol i dunno seems very wishywashy to me

Yes. But its the manufacturer thats released the OS, they just seem to be going for the manufacturers direct at the moment (presumably they have smaller patent portfolios to defend with than google so therefore are an easier target to beat)

Soldato
In Monday's Australian hearing, Apple attorney Steven Burley told the court that the rival tablet resembled the iPad 2 in "form, factor and shape" according to the AFP news agency.

Ahh, I see. So they are going after Samsung on this issue with their Tab 10.1 because they are the only other manufacturer to offer a tablet PC which is rectangular, flat and has a screen... Hold up!

:p

In all seriousness, how can anyone say anyone else is copying them when a tablet is released which is rectangular, slim and has a screen. That's what a tablet IS FFS.

It's like saying Ford suing Vauxhall for releasing the Astra as it closely resembles one of their cars due to it having an engine, 4 wheels and can carry 5 people.

Soldato
It's a bit silly on the face of it but either company could lose a lot of the marketshare depending on the outcome.

Or nothing could happen and it's just another day in "Suit Land."

Man of Honour
It's a bit silly on the face of it but either company could lose a lot of the marketshare depending on the outcome.

Or nothing could happen and it's just another day in "Suit Land."

The suits are probably just spurring everyone on to line their pockets as per usual.

Man of Honour
Just shows how normal this is.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15106889

Samsungs not doing well at the moment, even if they win against apple as far as I understand it won't stop sales, apple will just have to pay royalties for the wifi/3G stuff. That's if they lose, seeing as they buy the stuff off intel that has already paid royalties for the use.

Soldato
That was nothing to do with court action though, that's more to do with Samsung's tie up with Microsoft. The android patent issue was probably a thorn preventing that deal.

Samsung are hedging their bets producing both Android and WP7 phones and tablets.

If anything, it's bad for google and Motorola Mobility.

Associate

Samsungs not doing well at the moment, even if they win against apple as far as I understand it won't stop sales, apple will just have to pay royalties for the wifi/3G stuff. That's if they lose, seeing as they buy the stuff off intel that has already paid royalties for the use.

If Samsung win the case then Apple has to do whatever Samsung requests- which will be to stop banning their Galaxy range. Otherwise Apple will be stopping the Galaxy sales in certain countries, Samsung will be stopping iPhone/iPad sales in others and the winners will be everyone else.

Soldato

IIRC, Apple offered to pay for the patents use as a goodwill gesture under FRAND terms in the past, even though they see no reason why they should considering they buy from Intel and Intel already paid for the patents usage.

Samsung refused, they don't see the patents as being subject to FRAND so want to charge Apple an arm and a leg.

And it ended up in court.

Man of Honour
If Samsung win the case then Apple has to do whatever Samsung requests- which will be to stop banning their Galaxy range. Otherwise Apple will be stopping the Galaxy sales in certain countries, Samsung will be stopping iPhone/iPad sales in others and the winners will be everyone else.

I don't think they can, is it something like a general patent so anyone can buy it and samsung has no choice who can purchase the license. I'm sure I read that in one of the articles.

Soldato

Its a no brainer for them to get involved, same with T-Mobile.
They have skipped the "4G" (as america call it) wireless speed completely to jump to LTE, Its their big selling point compared to rival companies that they can offer these LTE devices all of which are Android phones, because the iPhone 5 is "only" capable of 24Mbs through the standard 4g network.

If Apple get all the big Android phones banned, then they lose out big style.

I don't think they can, is it something like a general patent so anyone can buy it and samsung has no choice who can purchase the license. I'm sure I read that in one of the articles.

Indeed, its a industry standard thing. Although Samsung refuse to see their patents as being industry standard so feel within their rights to refuse Apple access without Apple paying a stupid fee (iirc, they wanted something like 6 times the fee others pay).
Best outcome for Apple will be they win outright and Samsung devices end up banned.
Likely outcome is that some of Apple's points are upheld and either they: a) won't have to pay for the patents at all, because Intel already do and Apple get the chips from Intel.
or
b) They will have to pay for the patents under FRAND terms, costing peanuts.

Last edited:
Soldato
Funny how apple never sue Xiaomi as its more like apple than any other product ive ever seen. The completely OS is basically android+iOS but better customizations, the phone looks a lot like a ip4 to me personally, but I doubt you see them get sued.

Last edited:
Soldato
samsung and microsoft exchanged some patents :)
That will make both parties to pay each other for using them with every single mobile, but makes them stronger against the fruit ;D

Back
Top Bottom