Apple vs Samsung, court orders Samsung to show Apple 5 new phones

Man of Honour
Well ICS does pave the way for that, a standardised Android version that works on all Android devices be they tablets or phones or phonelets!

The Market is improving every other month with new awesome games, new apps and each time they look better and more pro as better devs join the force.

It is improving, indeed, but the Apple app store is still improving too. I can't see the gap being closed for a long time yet.

Obviously if you don't care about games and/or the apps that you want are already on Android, it's not really an issue. You can also use the superior browser support in place of an app, but the apps always work better! :(

Associate
I wish they would sort this all out because I like having a choice, would be awful if we were stuck with only one viable ecosystem.

At the moment I think we have things pretty good, I like how come upgrade time I could realistically see myself using any out of Android, iOS and WP. Maybe that's just because I'm a technology whore though :p

Oh and I avoid paid apps so changing ecosystem isn't a massive deal for me.

Soldato
They aren't really overpriced either, they are on a contract, but SIM-free they are not.

I'd disagree.

You can get a SGS II for around £400 online, throw in a 32GB card for £30ish, so total cost of around £430, probably more like £450.

Whereas the 32GB 4S is £599 from Apple. That's around £150 difference!

Man of Honour
I'd disagree.

You can get a SGS II for around £400 online, throw in a 32GB card for £30ish, so total cost of around £430, probably more like £450.

Whereas the 32GB 4S is £599 from Apple. That's around £150 difference!

From main retailers the Galaxy S II launch prices were the same as the iPhone equivalent more or less. Obviously the values drop rapidly as it's a Samsung device and over time doesn't continue to command such a premium.

Soldato
From main retailers the Galaxy S II launch prices were the same as the iPhone equivalent more or less. Obviously the values drop rapidly as it's a Samsung device and over time doesn't continue to command such a premium.

Surely that is irrelevant though?

The 4S, right now, is £150 more expensive than it's main rival. I'd call that overpriced.

Plus, Apple don't reduce the price of their products during their lifespan do then? They only drop them once the next one comes out? So the 4S will be that price untill the 5 is out. Assuming other phones come out around the same price as the SGS II then the 4S can only get more overpriced.

Man of Honour
Surely that is irrelevant though?

The 4S, right now, is £150 more expensive than it's main rival. I'd call that overpriced.

Plus, Apple don't reduce the price of their products during their lifespan do then? They only drop them once the next one comes out? So the 4S will be that price untill the 5 is out. Assuming other phones come out around the same price as the SGS II then the 4S can only get more overpriced.

If you buy an Apple product toward the end of it's lifespan then yes, it's more overpriced than if you had bought it at launch.

Aside from that, the launch prices are fairly similar in that the 16GB model of either phone is/was £500~.

That is before we even get into the fact you'll get roughly £100 or more back after a year than you would if you sold an Android phone equivalent.

And that's before you even argue that it's a better product overall, and that you get what you pay for... but let's not bother with that. :p

Soldato
But I'm not talking launch prices, I'm talking right now prices. If I went out and bought one of them today (which is what I'm wanting to do), the iPhone is £150 more than the nearest android equivalent.

The resale value is a good point though, as long as you sell the phone while it's still worth something.

As for arguing which is the better product, well that's down to personal preference with phones that are as similar as these, so it's a moot point really.

Man of Honour
But if your personal preference means you prefer the iOS ecosystem, that alone puts more value on the product for the person in question.

I wouldn't buy anything today, go and try a 4S on the 14th. The iPhone 4 isn't worth bothering with right now.

Soldato
But if your personal preference means you prefer the iOS ecosystem, that alone puts more value on the product for the person in question.

I wouldn't buy anything today, go and try a 4S on the 14th. The iPhone 4 isn't worth bothering with right now.

I was talking about the 4S :).

I get what you're saying about the ecosystem, but even if you prefer the software, the phone is still £150 more expensive than the competition, which is what I'm saying. You may be happy to pay that £150, but it's still £150 overpriced.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom