Apple vs Samsung, court orders Samsung to show Apple 5 new phones

Soldato
It's a win for Samsung. And it only bans the sale of the devices in the Netherlands so Samsung could just ship to other countries for distribution while fixing the gallery.

They've got a few weeks to sort the issue and it's not as if it's a big job for a company like Samsung to quickly reprogram how scrolling works in a gallery application. Also it's a Google issue as a whole, seeing this i imagine Google will be updating the gallery app very quickly to avoid an OS-Wide ban as that would upset a lot of their manufacturers.

In short, it's a non issue for all parties involved.

Oh and, just saw this image and was mildly amused:

unledzdp.jpg

Orly? Not according to the Netherlands it seems.

Last edited:
Soldato
An OS wide ban is unlikely to happen though, Apple wouldnt dare go against Google, remember google bought Motorola recently, along with its 20,000 patents :)

I very much doubt Apple would want to play the patent waving competition with Google.

Soldato
An OS wide ban is unlikely to happen though, Apple wouldnt dare go against Google, remember google bought Motorola recently, along with its 20,000 patents :)

I very much doubt Apple would want to play the patent waving competition with Google.

But in turn i bet Apple would be more than willing to chase other, smaller mobile phone manufacturers that use the default Android gallery.

And there's the fact that the Netherlands have already declared it a patent infringement, thus pretty much declaring Android needs to be changed.

Soldato

It's unlikely and I understand what you're saying, but Apple would need to have infringed one or more of those patents for it to make any difference.

Soldato
Apple are already fighting with Motorola - that sure didn't stop them before, doubt it would stop them now.

The whole thing is very disappointing to me, as is the state of the entire "sue everyone" mobile culture. The only one who will always survive in this mess is Nokia who pretty much own half the mobile lands patent supply - can't be being a standards definer for 20+ years.

The Netherlands blow is harsh because of the logistics HQ there for samsung but it's fixable. They need to get this sorted by xmas really.

Soldato
The only one who will always survive in this mess is Nokia who pretty much own half the mobile lands patent supply - can't be being a standards definer for 20+ years.

True. Their phones terrible OS hasn't poached any decent ideas from anyone, so they're safe stuck in the 90's still. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a bit dodgy. It seems whatever the case may be, whether Samsung infringes Apples patents or not, Apple can destroy Samsungs Tablet.

Soldato
You have to laugh at apple, all this rubbish they keep doing will just make people not want to buy there goods, certainly done that to me now they are far too petty for my liking.

Man of Honour
So Apple basically have all tablet stuff patented, regardless of form factor? That's quite silly and can't be true really.

You have to laugh at apple, all this rubbish they keep doing will just make people not want to buy there goods, certainly done that to me now they are far too petty for my liking.

Two points though -
  • Most people don't (and will never) know anything about this

• Samsung do plenty of suing as well, they just aren't very good at it

I'm actually more concerned for Samsung than anything, the fact a company that large can't seem to defend its products is quite strange.

Soldato
Common sense will prevail and all these law suits will bite Apple in the behind and end up being great publicity for Samsung products imo.

Caporegime
So Apple basically have all tablet stuff patented, regardless of form factor? That's quite silly and can't be true really.

Two points though -
  • Most people don't (and will never) know anything about this

• Samsung do plenty of suing as well, they just aren't very good at it

I'm actually more concerned for Samsung than anything, the fact a company that large can't seem to defend its products is quite strange.

They haven't really shown this issue yet, they had no chance of stopping this did they. Sneakiness by apple in this situation which will hopefully be overturned.

Soldato
Unless Apple are worried they're losing their grip on the market they should just let the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 do the talking unless they're worried about those two products.

I think this really as Apple have always been the ones that come out with the best in the past but now they are almost a generation behind in technology as the I5 certainly won't be any better than what is about now.

Back
Top Bottom