Are we there yet?

Associate
My 2nd Crystal just had its eye tracking fail. It's being returned tomorrow. Not going to go for a 3rd.
I don't know what to do. I can't go back to a Pico or Reverb , they're too low res now. It's like spending a month with a PS5 and then going back to your PS3.
So.. do I wait it out for Somnium VR1, Beyond or just go and find a cheap used HTC Vive for a couple of wands and base stations and bite the bullet with an Aero.

Last edited:
Associate
personally if you've got issues with the Crystal, I'd say wait it out for a VR1 by which time the Varjo event will have happened but its most likely to be a new commercial headset imho.

Associate
Having thought about the question in the title again, I think, like most things, we will never be "there" as "there" is forever moving and is always as far away as it has always been.

Underboss
do these vr headsets work with any game?

we wish !

VR has effectively 2 screens for 1 game
VR requires a different program i guess to make it work

but as Kev said, some modders are adding VR to games like Half Life 1/2 Doom 3 and Quake 3 to name a few

but meta is treaming up with Microsoft to bring all Xbox games to their headsets, that will be a 2D image though not full VR

Associate
Yeah, £936 exc base station/wavey sticks
is the delivery time accurate that I'll have to wait 3 weeks for it?
From what i have seen online delivery is a bit quicker than that but guess they are covering themselves.

So tempted by this as i have an index already. Gonna wait for varjo & sommnium announcement though as dont wanna get buyers remorse

Associate
The Varjo "4" will be the successor to their "3" XR/VR series. It's going to be £5k+, along with a £1500 a year sub.

Amazon have just threw a £385 discount code on the Crystal too. So now it's down to £1400.

Soldato
we wish !

VR has effectively 2 screens for 1 game
VR requires a different program i guess to make it work

but as Kev said, some modders are adding VR to games like Half Life 1/2 Doom 3 and Quake 3 to name a few

but meta is treaming up with Microsoft to bring all Xbox games to their headsets, that will be a 2D image though not full VR

The really big one will be the UnrealVR injector by praydog, it's got a huge list of games already (unreal based obviously) - should be out by the end of the year hopefully.

This is the spreadsheet tracking games tested with issues or not, as you can see there is a huge number already with "works perfectly" or "works well". https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZcjCQwzPOltaRZnpYU5_HPihEDareZq_0Ww1DZQ4USw/edit#gid=0

This is the project https://unrealvr.dev/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I see “there” as being something as small as the Bigscreen Beyond, the resolution of the Varjo 4, full face and eye tracking, stand-alone capabilities, wifi 7 and audio provided by Sennheiser

Soldato
My 2nd Crystal just had its eye tracking fail. It's being returned tomorrow. Not going to go for a 3rd.
I don't know what to do. I can't go back to a Pico or Reverb , they're too low res now. It's like spending a month with a PS5 and then going back to your PS3.
So.. do I wait it out for Somnium VR1, Beyond or just go and find a cheap used HTC Vive for a couple of wands and base stations and bite the bullet with an Aero.
Mine stopped eye tracking too. But I was also getting an odd flash during DCS.. I reinstalled PimaXR and quadviews. and re set up again and all back up even better than before

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It took me to the quest 3 to be in a happy place for VR, prior to this I thought was really overpriced for what it is and to get what you wanted you really needed to splash the cash. The quest 3 is still is quite pricey as it goes, but its bang on the money and your paying for a new games console more or less. What it needs and I hate to say it is better marketing now.

The good news is in 10 years time when I retire VR will be so good, i will have all the time in the world and hopefully 10 years after that when stuck in the care home it will good enough for 24/7 Nom nom nom

Man of Honour
OP
Yes the Quest 3 for it's price is on another level! i've got an Varjo Aero too and the Quest 3 isn't a million miles away from it's quality

and im with you on the retiring part! it's amazing how far games have come really in such a short space

Last edited:
Associate
It took me to the quest 3 to be in a happy place for VR, prior to this I thought was really overpriced for what it is and to get what you wanted you really needed to splash the cash. The quest 3 is still is quite pricey as it goes, but its bang on the money and your paying for a new games console more or less. What it needs and I hate to say it is better marketing now.

The good news is in 10 years time when I retire VR will be so good, i will have all the time in the world and hopefully 10 years after that when stuck in the care home it will good enough for 24/7 Nom nom nom

I wonder if one possible problem with VR marketing unlike regular consoles and games is that it's very difficult to show people what the experience is really like without them physically trying it? I suppose it's a little like audio equipment, it's difficult to demonstrate how good it might sound with a video review.

My local PC World has a small VR stand with a few demo units that were sometimes working. It was only a short demo but it did show the capabilities and was impressive. But there was nobody there to chat about it and how it all works. More definitely needs to be done.

Reactions: SPG
Soldato
Problem is I doubt PC World are seeing a big profit from each Quest 3 sold, so they’re unlikely to put a huge amount of effort in to advertising it - and unfortunately the shop floor is where the effort needs to be made. Headset developers would be wise to invest in this.

Reactions: SPG
Back
Top Bottom