Are we there yet?

Associate
Problem is I doubt PC World are seeing a big profit from each Quest 3 sold, so they’re unlikely to put a huge amount of effort in to advertising it - and unfortunately the shop floor is where the effort needs to be made. Headset developers would be wise to invest in this.

Maybe they could merge it into the TV section? There's usually plenty of staff there and often manufacturer employees as well - get some Meta staff in there! lol

Soldato
The local PC world has a wall of Quest 2s and 3s behind a counter. The 'tech assistant' stood in front of them hadn't even tried VR.
50743172871_081c5c38ae_o_d.gif

Associate
Our joiner bought a Quest 2 the following day after I gave him a shot of Climb 2. He isn't a gamer but was super impressed by it, so I do wonder how powerful it would be to get more test units out there. I did notice that the carnival that comes to our city every Christmas had a lot more of them this year which was good to see, although quite expensive - something like £3 per person per go, which is a fair bit more than the usual £1 per play of arcades.

Soldato
Just dipping into the thread to ask:

I had an Oculus Rift that I bought in 2017 and I sold it on due to the resolution which I just couldn't enjoy. Have things improved a lot? If I bought another headset then I think I'd be looking to play racing Sims, MS Flight SIM and probably Skyrim as I'll never fall out of love with Skyrim :)

Anyway, I have a 5900x / 7900XT based system and was wondering if it was worth picking up a new headset for another go. Is it really improved that much, and is my system up to it?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Just dipping into the thread to ask:

I had an Oculus Rift that I bought in 2017 and I sold it on due to the resolution which I just couldn't enjoy. Have things improved a lot? If I bought another headset then I think I'd be looking to play racing Sims, MS Flight SIM and probably Skyrim as I'll never fall out of love with Skyrim :)

Anyway, I have a 5900x / 7900XT based system and was wondering if it was worth picking up a new headset for another go. Is it really improved that much, and is my system up to it?
imo yes and yes the Quest 3 is leagues ahead of even a Q2 but for racers it still has slight compression if you up the bit rate compared to a rift though it's miles and miles better

Last edited:
Associate
What's it like in Skyrim, I had a QPro and Pico4 and the grass and rock textures were terrible blurry patches. Is that improved on the 3?

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Think PC graphics from maybe 2010ish. However the playability and general great gaming experiences are absolutely here, Its golden age on that front.

The posh graphics we have are maybe 10 years away at least in terms of a standalone unit based on my limited knowledge.

Soldato
Think PC graphics from maybe 2010ish. However the playability and general great gaming experiences are absolutely here, Its golden age on that front.

The posh graphics we have are maybe 10 years away at least in terms of a standalone unit based on my limited knowledge.

Hmm. In that case I think I'll pass!

Associate
Are we there yet? I have been there since I first put on the Oculus Rift Civ1 in 2016. It's never been about the graphics for me, it's about the immersion that VR brings to games. I was hooked from the moment the T-Rex ran down the corridor towards me and roared in the Dreamdeck demo. And I was hooked again when I first started up Elite Dangerous in VR and looked at the ship in the hanger.

I have been there ever since, from the giddy adventures in a Star Ship to chilling out with good friends playing Walkabout Golf. (it's more cursing than chilling really :p )

VR has been here for ages, and it's getting better all the time. It's just people are a little slow on the uptake.
My Mum curled up on the floor the first time that she experienced that part of Dreamdeck lol :cry:

Associate
This is the quest 3 btw standalone which is a games console on your head. PCVR is much better then your at 2015 levels :) We all know graphic`s do not maketh the game.

I find this as well. When you look at some VR reviews on the flat monitor the graphics can look a bit meh, but when you actually play it in the headset the 3D effect and gameplay makes me hardly notice the lesser graphics of some games. Some of my favourite games to this day are still from the Atari ST.

Soldato
[/QUOTE]
What's it like in Skyrim, I had a QPro and Pico4 and the grass and rock textures were terrible blurry patches. Is that improved on the 3?

With Quest Pro and Q3 you can change the settings in the Oculus Debug Tool to massively increase the quality, particularly if you have a good 5Ghz or 6E router.

Switch to H264 encoding and up the bitrate to enjoy much clearer visuals.

Also Steam Link with eye tracked foveated encoding gives great results in Skyrim on the Pro.

Associate
Yeah, the foveated encoding didn't exist when I had the Pro. The options were blurry textures popping in and out of existence or 70ms or more latency with audio drop outs.
So is the QPro still better than the Q3 with the encoding I take it?

Soldato
Yeah, the foveated encoding didn't exist when I had the Pro. The options were blurry textures popping in and out of existence or 70ms or more latency with audio drop outs.
So is the QPro still better than the Q3 with the encoding I take it?

70ms or more of latency? Through a wired connection? I didn't get 70ms of latency through wireless using the Quest 2.

Associate
It's not a one size fits all. You have an encoding resolution, a bit rate and the latency. Increasing the resolution requires more data to be transferred and the encoder to work harder. Because there's a ceiling on the data rate and the encoder rate then increasing the image quality also increases the latency.
When someone says they get a low latency they're also just running a lower image quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom