Are we there yet?

Soldato
Quest 3 has very slightly more FoV and better clarity across the lens with no issues regarding distortion if your eyes aren’t lined up right… also very little CA compared to the Crystal. It’s lighter and much, much smaller. Also of course has the best standalone game store by a country mile.

Crystal is huge by comparison, but significantly better quality image… not just in pure resolution but colour and contrast isn’t really comparable. If playing DCS (or I guess Pavlov) then Quad views with foveated rendering is genuinely transformative for performance and the crystal is a no-brainer if DCS is a big factor in your gaming.

Does DCS do eye tracking?

Soldato
Sorry for spamming the thread - so any steam vr game can use eye tracking/foveated rendering? or is it just the encoding part?

Only the encoding. You can use eye tracked foveated rending on most OpenXR games using OpenXR toolkit. Not all SteamVR games use OpenXR though.

Soldato
Oh nice. I'm thinking of getting into DCS. I don't have a headset yet but it's nice to know the game supports it. Once they've done the Vulkan pipeline for VR, that and eye tracking should really boost performance.

Soldato
Oh nice. I'm thinking of getting into DCS. I don't have a headset yet but it's nice to know the game supports it. Once they've done the Vulkan pipeline for VR, that and eye tracking should really boost performance.

DCS works even better with eye tracking as it's one of the few games to support a technique called 'quad views'. That renders the game 4 times, one pass in each eye at low resolution and detail then another pass in each eye where you're looking at high detail. It massively increases VR performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
DCS works even better with eye tracking as it's one of the few games to support a technique called 'quad views'. That renders the game 4 times, one pass in each eye at low resolution and detail then another pass in each eye where you're looking at high detail. It massively increases VR performance.

Yeah I'd seen the term quad view but didn't really know what it meant.

Soldato
Does DCS do eye tracking?

Yes, one of the best implementations that is only currently possible in DCS and Pavlov - Quadviews.

It renders 4 seperate views (hence quad-views), with two large but low res ones that cover the whole FoV, and two small high resolution ones that cover the foveated region and track with your eyes. There's a few effects that don't work well with it (all covered int he quad views wiki) but on the whole it's almost always unnoticeable but brings enormous performance gains on the GPU side.

Back
Top Bottom