Asgard Wrath TWO

Soldato
so does it contain spoilers ? i don't wish to ruin the 1st game..

Yes. It absolutely spoils the ending of AW1, so if you want to avoid spoilers, finish the storyline of AW1 first. Like I said, I did that, and according to my old save file, that's only just over 50% of content (though I suspect the way it counts it is unlocked rooms etc, rather than entire maps).

Soldato
I beginning to realise I'm really not one for amazing graphics. To me it looks good, but I'm seeing people complaining about it (mostly those who are really upset for some reason that it's not optimised fully for q3).

Pretties are nice, but sooner or later, gameplay is absolutely key. For me, After the Fall standalone (even pcvr) really isn't that pretty, but the gameplay and gunplay kept me playing that for ages.

Walkabout is gorgeous, but simple (or brain bending).

Soldato
I beginning to realise I'm really not one for amazing graphics. To me it looks good, but I'm seeing people complaining about it (mostly those who are really upset for some reason that it's not optimised fully for q3).

Pretties are nice, but sooner or later, gameplay is absolutely key. For me, After the Fall standalone (even pcvr) really isn't that pretty, but the gameplay and gunplay kept me playing that for ages.

I haven't installed AW2 yet. I do agree with you about graphics. I do really like the best graphics possible and thought I wouldn't enjoy anything after Red Matter 2 but I was wrong. I've thoroughly enjoyed a couple of games I've recently completed that don't look as good and am currently playing 7th Guest which is really good fun yet the graphics are pretty dated. But I'm not bothered because they're good enough and it doesn't take anything away from the immersion.

Soldato
The quest 3 graphics are coming later , they were not on launch
You would think they would have done that!

It runs at a higher FPS and has a small resolution bump I believe. I'd rather they finish the game on time, then spend more time improving the Q3 experience. It still looks good so far in my mind.

Soldato
Went to install this today. I was using the phone app to install it. I would click on the "install on Quest 3" button and nothing would happen. So I put on the headset to see what the problem was. It said not enough storage. I had 34GB free and it still wasn't enough. I deleted some more games and after each one was uninstalled I tried to install Asgard's Wrath again, but it still wouldn't, same error. Eventually, when I had over 40GB free it started downloading. How much is it downloading? 31GB :rolleyes: I believe the final install size is less than that?

Soldato
Went to install this today. I was using the phone app to install it. I would click on the "install on Quest 3" button and nothing would happen. So I put on the headset to see what the problem was. It said not enough storage. I had 34GB free and it still wasn't enough. I deleted some more games and after each one was uninstalled I tried to install Asgard's Wrath again, but it still wouldn't, same error. Eventually, when I had over 40GB free it started downloading. How much is it downloading? 31GB :rolleyes: I believe the final install size is less than that?

Did you restart after? Apparently that can help clear the cache. It may have needed some spare room to install after downloading?

I'm hoping to play more this evening. Missus is out for the evening. Only issue is I've got two big lumps on my head now and I'm afraid it'll hurt to put on the headset! Not going to be swinging well with my right arm either. You have to love rugby :D

Last edited:
Underboss
OP
i can only assume it calculates say 40Gb of free space BEFORE it starts downloading (like most PC games i think?) just to make sure that when downloading and it needs wiggle room to move files around and decompress, the "final" figure will be lower

but as @Unseul said, reboot to clear cache files

Soldato
Did you restart after? Apparently that can help clear the cache. It may have needed some spare room to install after downloading?

I'm hoping to play more this evening. Missus is out for the evening. Only issue is I've got two big lumps on my head now and I'm afraid it'll hurt to put on the headset! Not going to be swinging well with my right arm either. You have to love rugby :D

Yeah, I did a force restart once when It said I had 36GB free and still wouldn't install the game. Just in case I tried a restart. The way I understand these things working is that it reserves the space it needs for install and includes that in the download size. Which is why the actual install size is smaller than the download size. 12GB of spare room is a lot!!

Haha, the joys of contact sports :)

Soldato
Well I managed to play an hour, it's more realistic when you ache and hurt :D.

Combat is engaging, don't have to use mechanics like blocking but a good block helps. Still having fun and still feels like tutorial. Looking forward to when I can start actually crafting start.

Soldato
Must be at least 4 hours in now, probably more. Still haven't come across my first animal companion, and I've not deviated too much (unlocked what I assume is the roguelite part and did a run). There's little caverns around that I assume have chests etc, but I got my arse kicked enough to give up. Getting better though, combat is tough but fun still. Decided I want my follower before going back to the side bits though.

Associate
I might just have a brief go of this game i.e. 30 mins out of curiousity then shelve it until the Q3 graphical enhancements are made apparently early next year. I don't get much chance to have long vr sessions at the moment, i typically do 20 mins max every other day or 2. Have had AC Nexus for a few weeeks and only played an hour or so. Hopefully have more time next year, i want to sink myself into it to give it justice.

Soldato
According to meta support you can't gift the free game if you don't want it.
50742439143_e3d8873318_o_d.gif

'The free Asguard's Wrath 2 game, is only available to the first account used to activate the headset. This is true for all the promotions that come with preordering the Quest 3 such as the free 6 month Quest+ trial for the 512 GB headsets. Assuming you bought the headset yourself, and activated the device on your account, there is no way to gift the free application to any other users at this time.'

Soldato

I agree to a point, HOWEVER the 1st game was, and still is really a show case title for VR. Most people do not expect to have to go backwards in terms of visuals or frame rate or what ever when going forward and this is what is expected when PCVR titles have sequels which are made for mobile hardware and not have ports made for the platform it made its name on. At least if it was fully optimised for the Quest 3 it would reduce the gap a little.

a damn shame imo.

Dont get me wrong i am all for the quest having titles....... but its a real loss to the PCVR community seeing the franchises they invested in ditch their platform.... it would be nice to see both platforms serviced properly.

(compare Robo Recall on the pc to the quest or the climb and then tell me you dont see a difference.)

those who never played high end PCVR likely wont worry about it however as they wont have anything to compare to, and in that sense am sure AW2 will be fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree to a point, HOWEVER the 1st game was, and still is really a show case title for VR. Most people do not expect to have to go backwards in terms of visuals or frame rate or what ever when going forward and this is what is expected when PCVR titles have sequels which are made for mobile hardware and not have ports made for the platform it made its name on. At least if it was fully optimised for the Quest 3 it would reduce the gap a little.

a damn shame imo.

Dont get me wrong i am all for the quest having titles....... but its a real loss to the PCVR community seeing the franchises they invested in ditch their platform.... it would be nice to see both platforms serviced properly.

(compare Robo Recall on the pc to the quest or the climb and then tell me you dont see a difference.)

those who never played high end PCVR likely wont worry about it however as they wont have anything to compare to, and in that sense am sure AW2 will be fine.

I've completed AW1. AW1 being gorgeous, changes nothing about how satisfying and compelling AW2 has been for me.

PCVR simply isn't a big enough platform for developers to justify working that hard on. It's as simple as that for the most part. Standalone has the userbase for there to be enough sales to justify production. In this case, it's a Meta title, so it makes sense for them to try and prioritise their hardware over all others. AW2 is a system seller.

There's a reason that Nintendo dominated console sales, despite consistently producing far less powerful consoles, with less impressive visuals. There's a reason I played rimworld and factorio for hundreds of hours, despite them being functionally pretty damn ugly games in comparison to many others.

Pretties are nice if doable, but gameplay/writing etc is king.

Soldato
but its a real loss to the PCVR community seeing the franchises they invested in ditch their platform.... it would be nice to see both platforms serviced properly.

The PCVR community isn't big enough to sustain VR gaming development. None of the really good games like Half Life ALyx: Robo Recall, Asgard's Wrath, Lone Echo and so on would have ever seen the light of day if Meta, HTC, Valve etc. hadn't subsidised those games.

I don't fully agree with this either. You are equating good graphics = good game, and nobody who has played Asgard's Wrath 1 will like Asgard's Wrath 2. I bet you most of the complaints about the graphics are those nitwits on reddit who complain about everything and probably haven't even played the game.

What I am saying is that I think most people, even those who played AW1, will enjoy AW2. I would even go so far as to say that the majority of those that played both would pick AW2 as the better game.

Sure there are some people who can't look past the graphics that a game has. I feel sorry for those people, because some of the best PC games aren't amazing graphically. Like FTL and Rimworld and Factorio that Unseul mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom