Baldur's Gate 3

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I don't normally bother with pricey collector's editions of games but given the hype and acclaim surrounding it, plus the fact that there's no 'standard' physical retail version, I've decided to pre-order the Deluxe Physical version of Baldur's Gate 3 :cool:

Anyone else pre-ordered it (or received their copy)? Says Q2 2024 for recent orders so I could be waiting a while unfortunately....

But DVD drives are so 2020! Been without one for at least the last 5 years.

Associate
I don't normally bother with pricey collector's editions of games but given the hype and acclaim surrounding it, plus the fact that there's no 'standard' physical retail version, I've decided to pre-order the Deluxe Physical version of Baldur's Gate 3 :cool:

Anyone else pre-ordered it (or received their copy)? Says Q2 2024 for recent orders so I could be waiting a while unfortunately....
That does look like a nice CE. But I did roll my eyes when I got to
PC (Steam) version comes with a downloader app included on the disc, so game download is required.
I can understand them giving you a steam key, but why bother with what I assume is a Steam installer on a disk. They'd be better off putting them on bluray disks for PC as well with a DRM free version on it.

Soldato
That does look like a nice CE. But I did roll my eyes when I got to

I can understand them giving you a steam key, but why bother with what I assume is a Steam installer on a disk. They'd be better off putting them on bluray disks for PC as well with a DRM free version on it.

I actually bought the PS5 version, as my PC is borderline minimum spec, so that does at least come with the physical disc you can run the game from and potentially resell.

It’s disappointing that the PC version is only a download code. They really should offer it in blu-ray but I guess they’re concerned about piracy.

Last edited:
Associate
I actually bought the PS5 version, as my PC is borderline minimum spec, so that does at least come with the physical disc you can run the game from and potentially resell.

It’s disappointing that the PC version is only a download code. They really should offer it in blu-ray but I guess they’re concerned about piracy.
They could offer a Steam key and a DRM free version on the disk TBH - they already sell a DRM free version on GOG so that rules out possible concerns that the disk might cause piracy. Regardless, the Steam version was cracked pretty much instantly IIRC.
As much as I wouldn't want to miss out on CD art - it just seems daft and a waste just putting in what I assume is the steam installer on a disk. BluRay would be my choice I think - even if I doubt there are many bluray drives in PCs. But I can picture the BG 2 Shadows of Amn 4xCD case and think putting something like that in, but with blurays, would be nice :D

Last edited:
Associate
What would be the point of a disk version, unless you don’t want to apply patches and updates?
Ability to install if your internet is slow/unavailable, or your want to store a physical copy. Far faster to install patches after a disk install too if you've got slow internet generally. They're going to the trouble of putting a pointless disk in the box, they could put an actual copy of it - they are for the consoles, though for different reasons.

Last edited:

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Well that's not what I had planned..

Made my way through to the Cazador fight. that's a tough fight, took me several attempts to beat him.. however looks like Astorian is RIP :( He was trapped by Cazador and no matter what I did he was exploded in about turn 3.

I can't resurrect him so I'm assuming he is no more :(

I'm assuming that I made a choice somewhere down the line that caused it.. I think it was when 2 Vampires came to my camp one night and I failed to roll to convince them to join me against Cazador.

Oh Well....

Last edited:
Soldato

Made my way through to the Cazador fight. that's a tough fight, took me several attempts to beat him.. however looks like Astorian is RIP :( He was trapped by Cazador and no matter what I did he was exploded in about turn 3.

I'm assuming that I made a choice somewhere down the line that caused it.. I think it was when 2 Vampires came to my camp one night and I failed to roll to convince them to join me against Cazador.

Oh Well....
I believe he gets caught regardless; you just have to get over to him and release ('help') him before the end of turn 3

Soldato
Is the combat in bg3 approachable/noob friendly to someone who knows zero about dnd?

Yes. There are tons of options and the first 10 hrs might seem a little confusing but just pick youre favourite spells etc and use those.

Its as simple or complex as you want to make it.

Just press your spell button aim at enemy and boom.

Associate

Oh Well....
It is possible to save him but we had to do that fight a few times as well before realising that you have to 'help' him of the pillar and remove a few of the others within the turn limit

Soldato

Oh Well....

• When you enter the fight area, toggle separate group mode and DO NOT bring Astorian down the steps.
  • Let your main character walk down the steps alone and initiate the dialogue with Cazador. The conversation starts with Cazador assuming Astarion is not in your party, so the the cutscene where Astarion is captured does not trigger.
  • Now with the fight started, Astorian can be brough down the steps to join in the fun
  • When you beat Cazador Astorian will continue his quest dialogue as if he was there all along

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom