Best video doorbell....

Soldato
Since my phone only shows a small picture like it did for my RING I get the alert notification and then just click on the doorbell to see it live.
I realised that the picture notification is less than useless.

Anyway, I think you get a month free so test it out, after I tested it I realised I didn't need it.
Yeah I'll definitely have a play. Where's my Amazon delivery dammit!

I think paying £35/yr isn't too bad to have a video notification of who's at the door.

Man of Honour
Yeah I'll definitely have a play. Where's my Amazon delivery dammit!

I think paying £35/yr isn't too bad to have a video notification of who's at the door.

but like I say, you get the normal notification and click on the App and see it live.
I couldn't see who it was with the picture anyway so still clicked on the App

Soldato
That's cool. Although I really would like the rich notifications to see who's at the door, and hence might subscribe anyway. It's kinda the point of a video doorbell in my opinion!

Soldato
but like I say, you get the normal notification and click on the App and see it live.
I couldn't see who it was with the picture anyway so still clicked on the App
Yep fair enough. You know what for some stupid reason I was thinking the rich notification was an animated image. Is that not the case on other doorbells? Maybe not Reolink? :confused:
Cheers.

Associate
I've got a nest battery doorbell which I have wired. Happy with it, the shot is wide top to bottom which is handy for keep an eye on parcels. Only annoying thing is notifications can be slow. By the time you get the notification and open the app etc the delivery guy has gone. Not using the assistant chime (Google or Alexa) anymore as it wires in with the normal chime.

Soldato
Yeah @funguST id heard a lot about Nest delays. Was definitely putting me off especially the fact they haven’t released the v2 wired over here for some reason.

Does anyone know what horizontal viewing angle the Reolink has? It only comes with a 15deg wedge but we want to mount it on our left inside wall in the porch as there’s no rooms next to the door frame. Website says 180deg diagonal but that’s not very helpful.. Can’t power it up yet because I have no wiring yet :p

Man of Honour
Yeah @funguST id heard a lot about Nest delays. Was definitely putting me off especially the fact they haven’t released the v2 wired over here for some reason.

Does anyone know what horizontal viewing angle the Reolink has? It only comes with a 15deg wedge but we want to mount it on our left inside wall in the porch as there’s no rooms next to the door frame. Website says 180deg diagonal but that’s not very helpful.. Can’t power it up yet because I have no wiring yet :p

Field of View https://reolink.com/gb/product/reolink-video-doorbell-wifi/#specifications

• Horizontal: 134°

• Vertical: 97°

• Diagonal: 180°

You can see mine on post 231

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so I've had the Reolink for a few days now. Up and running (super easy!) just with the plug adapter indoors to mess around. Need cables run to outside, if only the electrician would get back to us :rolleyes:

Found an old microSD card too although I haven't signed up to the cloud trial yet. Stupid question; without the cloud sub can you still view your stream and stored files from the SD card when out of the house? I didn't actually try that, and I've packed it all away again for now. Plus side... 30deg wedge has arrived, girlfriend seems to be convinced enough, motion notifications are super quick. I'm definitely a fan so far.

I have grand plans to buy a NAS to run FTP backups of the Reolink files, whilst also playing around with Home Assistant. Although having looked at the prices you could get quite a few years out of the cloud sub before breaking the few £hundred price point of those things :confused:

Soldato
Ok so I've had the Reolink for a few days now. Up and running (super easy!) just with the plug adapter indoors to mess around. Need cables run to outside, if only the electrician would get back to us :rolleyes:

Found an old microSD card too although I haven't signed up to the cloud trial yet. Stupid question; without the cloud sub can you still view your stream and stored files from the SD card when out of the house? I didn't actually try that, and I've packed it all away again for now. Plus side... 30deg wedge has arrived, girlfriend seems to be convinced enough, motion notifications are super quick. I'm definitely a fan so far.

I have grand plans to buy a NAS to run FTP backups of the Reolink files, whilst also playing around with Home Assistant. Although having looked at the prices you could get quite a few years out of the cloud sub before breaking the few £hundred price point of those things :confused:

I've got the free cloud, never used it and can view on PC or phone direct from the doorbell and what is stored on the memory card.

Commissario
Well I just bit the bullet and paid another £25 for a spare Ring doorbell battery. Picking it up from Screwfix later.
I bought the official Ring solar panel. Previously I'd charge it every seven weeks or so, now I haven't had to charge the battery this year. It drops down to 89% and then charges up to full. It was able to do that charge in the depths of the winter, absolutely no issues doing that at all.

Soldato
I bought the official Ring solar panel. Previously I'd charge it every seven weeks or so, now I haven't had to charge the battery this year. It drops down to 89% and then charges up to full. It was able to do that charge in the depths of the winter, absolutely no issues doing that at all.

How much did this cost and where exactly did you position it?

Just curious to know as I didn't even consider solar as an option.

Commissario
How much did this cost and where exactly did you position it?
It depends which model Ring you have, mine was £49 which is double the cost of the battery but it means I don't have to faff about with the regular charging/swapping. It's worth it to me for the convenience. I've mounted it about 10ft up on the front of the house which faces pretty much due east. I went that high because there are houses opposite which block the sun for the first part of the day so the higher it is, the more direct sunlight it'll get.

There's also a solar mount for the doorbell itself but all the reviews for that are absolutely rubbish.

Soldato
It depends which model Ring you have, mine was £49 which is double the cost of the battery but it means I don't have to faff about with the regular charging/swapping. It's worth it to me for the convenience. I've mounted it about 10ft up on the front of the house which faces pretty much due east. I went that high because there are houses opposite which block the sun for the first part of the day so the higher it is, the more direct sunlight it'll get.

There's also a solar mount for the doorbell itself but all the reviews for that are absolutely rubbish.

£50 isn't too bad for a fit and forget solution. I might have looked at solar, but £25 for a spare battery is ok and at least we now have continuous coverage.

Associate
I’ve got a Ring set up, doorbell, external cams, internal cams and the alarm. Overall I’m happy with it but the WiFi on the external cams and doorbell is shockingly bad. Even when they are just a short distance from the wifi, the units claim that internet reception is poor for them. Obviously there is a wall or two between them because it would be difficult to use them without one!

Has anyone managed to overcome this at all? I did have a range extender but that did pretty much nothing

Soldato

Alternative grand plan.

2nd hand Lenovo Mini PC from well known auction site ~£85
1TB m.2 drive £40

A few hours installing Proxmox, Frigate and Home Assistant

Job done and you get better AI detection than the native one :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m totally down for that option too but how does that give me better AI detection?

Frigate has its own object detection - i've found it significantly more accurate than the built in algorithm on my Eufy camera (to be fair I've not tried Reolink to compare it).

For best effect you'll want a coral accelerator as well (£25), but for a single camera just the CPU should be powerful enough. (All of the above may be overkill just for a doorbell :p)

Back
Top Bottom