Best video doorbell....

Soldato
Does the reolink need to be wired in?
There are two versions of the Reolink, one is power over ethernet, called POE, which requires either a network switch capable of supplying power over a network cable. Or what is called a poe injector can also be used instead.
The other is wifi and can either use the supplied power lead or a doorbells original wiring.
I prefer a powered doorbell over the ones using batteries as there is no messing around swapping and charging batteries.

Commissario
Anyone have a recommendation for a decent HomeKit compatible doorbell? Currently have the Nest wired doorbell and one option is getting the Starling Hub. Shame the Nest wired doorbell v2 isn’t available here as that apparently works really well with the Starling Hub and even does HomeKit secure video if you have a Nest aware sub.
I use Homebridge to link my Ring doorbell to HomeKit.

Soldato
Still very happy with my G4 Doorbell, as well as the rest of the UniFi cameras. Not a fan of subscription models or storage on the cameras themselves.

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent HomeKit compatible doorbell? Currently have the Nest wired doorbell and one option is getting the Starling Hub. Shame the Nest wired doorbell v2 isn’t available here as that apparently works really well with the Starling Hub and even does HomeKit secure video if you have a Nest aware sub.

I use Homebridge to link my Ring doorbell to HomeKit.

Yes I’m leaning towards the Starling Hub and bringing my Nest doorbell into HomeKit that way.

If you want native HomeKit compatibility rather than using HomeBridge or the Starling Hub then have a look at the Aqara G4 Video Doorbell: https://www.aqara.com/eu/product/smart-video-doorbell-g4/

I’ve had mine since it was released and it’s been brilliant compared to my old Netatmo. I’ve had mine setup with HomeKit Secure Video and it’s been working perfectly.

With Black Friday coming up at the end of the month Aqara will definitely have a discount available on it as well.

Reactions: LiE
Soldato
Has anyone experience with getting a ring camera to work with a 4g style router (3 probably)? Trying to get a camera in the mother in laws house to monitor carers coming and going (in hallway) but she doesn't have broadband. It would be an easy way of getting it up and running if I can get it to work.

Associate
Has anyone experience with getting a ring camera to work with a 4g style router (3 probably)? Trying to get a camera in the mother in laws house to monitor carers coming and going (in hallway) but she doesn't have broadband. It would be an easy way of getting it up and running if I can get it to work.
i am not sure if it will work but cant see why not.
here is a "business" deal (they dont check) for three unlmited data for £6pm (£5pm before VAT)

Associate
If you want native HomeKit compatibility rather than using HomeBridge or the Starling Hub then have a look at the Aqara G4 Video Doorbell: https://www.aqara.com/eu/product/smart-video-doorbell-g4/

I’ve had mine since it was released and it’s been brilliant compared to my old Netatmo. I’ve had mine setup with HomeKit Secure Video and it’s been working perfectly.
With Black Friday coming up at the end of the month Aqara will definitely have a discount available on it as well.
it is current £90. have not seen it cheaper

Soldato
i am not sure if it will work but cant see why not.
here is a "business" deal (they dont check) for three unlmited data for £6pm (£5pm before VAT)
I can't see why ether, the only trail I can find by searching is people who have struggled to get a ring doorbell to connect to an EE router but they did get there in the end. Not sure about the above deal, thinking more about 3's £20 a month for 2 years with 3 months free. I want something I can get working at home then take over and install one afternoon, keeping the router in the loft and the wires associated so people don't unplug it.

Associate
I can't see why ether, the only trail I can find by searching is people who have struggled to get a ring doorbell to connect to an EE router but they did get there in the end. Not sure about the above deal, thinking more about 3's £20 a month for 2 years with 3 months free. I want something I can get working at home then take over and install one afternoon, keeping the router in the loft and the wires associated so people don't unplug it.
the only difference between this unlimited deal and home broadband is the router, which you wouldnt own at the end of the contract anyway

Soldato
the only difference between this unlimited deal and home broadband is the router, which you wouldnt own at the end of the contract anyway
You raise a good point. Seems I can get the router for £80 and this deal for £6 a month x 2 years so £224 against £420 if I go this way. I guess no less likely to work than the other way...

Soldato
Does it really need to be a doorbell as there are 4g enabled cctv cameras out there.

Back
Top Bottom