Best video doorbell....

Soldato
Ah ok. Not really sure what Frigate is but I’d heard it mentioned along with Home Assistant. Yes, perhaps overkill haha. But everyone needs a hobby!

Soldato
Ah ok. Not really sure what Frigate is but I’d heard it mentioned along with Home Assistant. Yes, perhaps overkill haha. But everyone needs a hobby!
It's basically an AI NVR software - instead of the object detection being done on the camera like most of the newer ones do, the stream goes back to the server and Frigate does the AI detection. It gives you a lot more control over the parameters, and seems to be a lot more accurate (when my laundry is on the line, the Eufy camera picks it up as a person and I get alerts every few minutes, but I've had maybe 2-3 false alerts from Frigate (using the same camera) in the 3 weeks I've had it up and running so far.

It also means you can use any old cheap IP camera (as long as it supports rtsp), e.g. I have a 5 year old 960p generic Chinese £30 camera overlooking the drive, which now has the same object detection capability as my brand new £150 Eufy floodlight :)

Soldato
Bumping this thread. Got my Reolink wifi ready to go and having problems getting an electrician to quote for installing. Just had a guy round and straight away got the usual spiel about "why don't you want a battery one" which to be fair if you look at our brand new door etc. you might wonder why we want to wreck the porch by chasing the wiring in for it. But hey. As we all know, there's many reasons to go for Reolink, and to not have a battery doorbell either.

Showed him the doorbell and wires etc. and he was saying basically the plug adapter would have to go into a socket in the bedroom above the porch, and the wiring he would run through the floor down into the outside porch wall where we want the doorbell. I was kinda hoping he could work his magic and remove the need for having something plugged in in the bedroom. Can you not (layman alert here) wire the doorbell into the mains circuit :confused:

Sounds like you would need a transformer (which is what the plug adapter is doing). I said to him "what would you say if I asked to install a traditional doorbell chime" and he said he'd get a transformer etc.

tldr; Does everyone have their Reolink plugged into a nearby socket and simply made as neat as possibly besides that? Or has anyone put in an "internal" transformer and wired it in directly? :confused:

Soldato
Bumping this thread. Got my Reolink wifi ready to go and having problems getting an electrician to quote for installing. Just had a guy round and straight away got the usual spiel about "why don't you want a battery one" which to be fair if you look at our brand new door etc. you might wonder why we want to wreck the porch by chasing the wiring in for it. But hey. As we all know, there's many reasons to go for Reolink, and to not have a battery doorbell either.

Showed him the doorbell and wires etc. and he was saying basically the plug adapter would have to go into a socket in the bedroom above the porch, and the wiring he would run through the floor down into the outside porch wall where we want the doorbell. I was kinda hoping he could work his magic and remove the need for having something plugged in in the bedroom. Can you not (layman alert here) wire the doorbell into the mains circuit :confused:

Sounds like you would need a transformer (which is what the plug adapter is doing). I said to him "what would you say if I asked to install a traditional doorbell chime" and he said he'd get a transformer etc.

tldr; Does everyone have their Reolink plugged into a nearby socket and simply made as neat as possibly besides that? Or has anyone put in an "internal" transformer and wired it in directly? :confused:
I used the same plugged in power supply that was supplying the Ring and that is plugged into a fused spur socket which is then chased up the wall and straight through the brickwork to the wall mounted Reolink doorbell.

Soldato
I used the same plugged in power supply that was supplying the Ring and that is plugged into a fused spur socket which is then chased up the wall and straight through the brickwork to the wall mounted Reolink doorbell.
Which part of that is transforming the power down to 12v? (I think that's what it needs?) :confused:

From the website;

Hardwired
12-24VAC 50/60Hz, DC 24V

Soldato
Finally got an electrician round and got my Reolink doorbell in place. I think I’ve done the most basic settings already like drawing the motion detect zone etc.

Is this the easiest way to let me girlfriend access it via the Reolink app? I just create her a username and password? https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-u...-Accounts-to-Reolink-Cameras-via-Reolink-App/

Also, looking at notification schedule it seems to have a tab for Any Motion, Person, Visitor. Is the latter a doorbell press? Do you guys turn off motion notifications at night or just let your phone settings ignore them via Do not Disturb etc?

EDIT: I knew I'd seen another option for sharing the camera somewhere else. If you go into the doorbell settings you can go to Share and it just shows you a QR code to scan :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else had a Reolink PoE doorbell just give up the networking side of things? It is odd because it is PoE, but just realised today I stopped receiving notifications. Will check the switch first :S

Soldato
Yeah will try the switch first. Although, I don't have a PoE injector to hand I don't think. It isn't pingable, but is powered on and the wireless chime works fine. Odd!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Still very happy with my G4 Doorbell, as well as the rest of the UniFi cameras. Not a fan of subscription models or storage on the cameras themselves.

Associate
I must admit I've been very happy with my reolink PoE version. talks nicely to my synology NAS also which is a bonus. I can't be arsed with anything that needs subscriptions these days.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Anyone have a recommendation for a decent HomeKit compatible doorbell? Currently have the Nest wired doorbell and one option is getting the Starling Hub. Shame the Nest wired doorbell v2 isn’t available here as that apparently works really well with the Starling Hub and even does HomeKit secure video if you have a Nest aware sub.

Soldato
@LiE i gave up waiting for the new Nest doorbell - it’s clearly never going to get released over here. Went for Reolink due to these forums and I’m glad I did. Doesn’t help you I know..

Back
Top Bottom