Brewdog

Man of Honour
Some of them are good, some of them are pond water.

Not sure if they still do it but my favourite was one of their nitro brews a chocolate stout iirc.

It's definitely not a brand I'm generally drawn to if there's other options though.

Soldato
OP
I didnt realise they don't treat their staff very well, bit of a shame.

As for them pretending to be small but not, I am not sure how that is relevant, its not to me anyway, I am not bothered at all as long as the beer is good.

I have tried some of those others mentioned, Vocation, Northern Monk, Tiny Rebel is another, there are some others, they are good. I quite like the Beavertown but its pretty expensive.

There is one local(ish) Oakham Ales that do one called Citra that is pretty good, they brew that in Peterborough I think.

But I do like Hazy Jane and Elvis Juice, both of which you can get on offer, Hazy Jane £14 for 12 is just over a pound a can. Cant go wrong.

Soldato
@BUDFORCE - Oakham Citra is fantastic. One of the original and best Citra hop ales. Absolutely delightful on a summer’s day.

Brew dog is fine, I’d happily drink it if there was nothing else. However, we’re blessed with hundreds of high quality local breweries in the UK. If I’m visiting a decent pub in a new place I always ask for a pint of the most local beer.

In Birmingham we’ve got Attic Brewery which is terrific.

Soldato
Brewdog is one of those very big brewers pretending to be a small one, once you are in Tesco, you can’t really call yourself ‘craft’.
"You're a sell out, maaaaaaan". :p. How big were they when they started out? At what size does a brewery stop being "craft"?

Anyway, I like a bit of Punk IPA and a lost lager. I also liked Candy Kittens :p

Soldato
Completely disagree about can't call yourself a craft brewer will being in Tesco etc.
Past few years they have seemed to up their game and my local has a decent selection of small local breweries.
I find Brewdog fine, certainly a lot better than your standard macro stuff, although you pay for it mind.
I am a bit sad about what they done to Punk IPA past few years, that wasn't half bad until they took down the ABV.

Soldato
Completely disagree about can't call yourself a craft brewer will being in Tesco etc.
Past few years they have seemed to up their game and my local has a decent selection of small local breweries.
I find Brewdog fine, certainly a lot better than your standard macro stuff, although you pay for it mind.
I am a bit sad about what they done to Punk IPA past few years, that wasn't half bad until they took down the ABV.

Agreed, i don't think i've call the likes of Vault City/Cloudwater anything other than craft, and they're now in supermarkets.

You just have to wait till the bring back OG Punk, similar to what they did after they ruined Elvis Juice.

I don't mind Brewdog, it did a lot of bringing decent beer to the masses, and i credit them with the selection we have available in most shops/supermarkets today. I've still got some shares, especially after the dismal showing at the recent trading day!

Soldato
Compared with other "craft" brewers there's nothing really at Brewdog I particularly remember enjoying massively. Unlike Beavertown, Tiny Rebel, Northern Monk etc. I think the last time I had Punk IPA I decided it was actually fairly horrid!

I think the company has been probably unfairly treated by the media. They had some unhappy people that left and wanted to cause a bother. Somehow that gained traction and now it's all anyone thinks of, unfortunately. I don't recall reading any details that really sounded awful, happy to be proven wrong though.

Anyone had their new stout? That seems to be getting a lot of press, and I do love a stout or porter. I've said for years that decent stout or porter is ripe for gentrification/hipster-isation :p

EDIT: I also realised during COVID when trying a craft brewery subscription that actually I just like good beer. So many are so high an ABV that's all you taste (that's coming from a whiskey drinker), or they're actually, just not that tasty. There's a reason good ales for example have stuck around for a while. London Pride is infinitely drinkable for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
similar to what they did after they ruined Elvis Juice.

What do you mean about this one? Is it the fact they seem to have two versions?

I don't understand why as the label looks identical, but one seems to be 6.5% abv and the other, 5.1%.

The stuff in Tesco is the 6.5% and that is also what the sell in Wetherspoons now, but I did actually have to pull them up on it as I once ordered some stated as 6.5% and when it turned up it was the 5.1% version. They seem to have corrected that now however, as for at least the last year or so its the 6.5% you get. But another shop near here they sell the 5.1% version, I admit I have no idea why.

By the way, I am not bothered about ABV in beer as such, if anything I prefer some of the not so strong ones and you need to be careful, particularly with something like a 6.5% beer as it can catch you out. In Spoons they sell the 660ml bottles of Evlis Juice 6.5% version, its something like 8 units of alchohol if you have just two of those, so although it doesnt seem like you are drinking much, in terms of alcohol you are.

I Also agree about the Punk IPA - its actually not my favourite of their line up, I'll drink it, its okay, but much prefer some of their others.

I think another one they do which is really nice is Lightspeed, which is a Hazy IPA but a lot lighter alchohol wise but got a really fruity flavour.

Soldato
What do you mean about this one? Is it the fact they seem to have two versions?

I don't understand why as the label looks identical, but one seems to be 6.5% abv and the other, 5.1%.

The stuff in Tesco is the 6.5% and that is also what the sell in Wetherspoons now, but I did actually have to pull them up on it as I once ordered some stated as 6.5% and when it turned up it was the 5.1% version. They seem to have corrected that now however, as for at least the last year or so its the 6.5% you get. But another shop near here they sell the 5.1% version, I admit I have no idea why.

By the way, I am not bothered about ABV in beer as such, if anything I prefer some of the not so strong ones and you need to be careful, particularly with something like a 6.5% beer as it can catch you out. In Spoons they sell the 660ml bottles of Evlis Juice 6.5% version, its something like 8 units of alchohol if you have just two of those, so although it doesnt seem like you are drinking much, in terms of alcohol you are.

I Also agree about the Punk IPA - its actually not my favourite of their line up, I'll drink it, its okay, but much prefer some of their others.

I think another one they do which is really nice is Lightspeed, which is a Hazy IPA but a lot lighter alchohol wise but got a really fruity flavour.

It was 6.5%, they then changed it to 5.1% for some reason. Around 12 months ago they accepted it was a mistake as the flavour was ruined and so switched back to 6.5% You might still find some of the lower stuff in older stock though.

I find i prefer higher strength beers as you seem to get a huge increase in flavour/body when you get past 6% which i really enjoy. Hence my go-to beers are generally between 6-8%. As you say though, it gets sketchy when you're out all day though!

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh, their regular vodka isn’t very nice. Way too harsh, not like Absolut or even Smirnoff. The flavoured one wasn’t as bad though.

Man of Honour
Oh, their regular vodka isn’t very nice. Way too harsh, not like Absolut or even Smirnoff. The flavoured one wasn’t as bad though.
You've just reminded me of one thing of theirs I'm a massive fan of, their 500 cuts coconut and vanilla rum. Could happily sit with a straw in the bottle.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its not called Indian *iss ale for nothing, horrible stuff. Never liked one tbh. Now A proper pint of bitter better is good but still not as good as half a mild and half a bitter, a pint of mixed goes down lovely.

Back
Top Bottom