Brewdog

Soldato
I like a few of the Brewdog beers, I get a lot of Holt's stuff as well.
Really like the Northern Hop and American IPA they do.

Some serious snobbery in here though, you can't really like beer if you drink anything other than craft beer nonsense.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone had their new stout? That seems to be getting a lot of press, and I do love a stout or porter. I've said for years that decent stout or porter is ripe for gentrification/hipster-isation :p

That happened ages ago. Vocation seem to be found of brewing an expensive barrel aged stout then ruining it with banana extract or something equally weird.

Soldato
That happened ages ago.
There's a few out there but nowhere near the amount of American IPAs, double IPAs, triple IPAs and all that hoppy stuff. Winter to me is stout season, yet in my local supermarkets and craft beer sellers it's always hard to find them.

Soldato
Anyone had their new stout? That seems to be getting a lot of press, and I do love a stout or porter. I've said for years that decent stout or porter is ripe for gentrification/hipster-isation :p

Are you referring to the ‘Black Heart’ stout they sent an email about a couple of weeks ago?

If so Mrs Sk8 tried it and she didn’t like it as much as she linked the ‘Jet black heart’ they used to do. I didn’t try it but I noticed it’s a lot lower in alcohol than it used to be.

We have some jet black heart nitro stashed in the garage ;)

Last edited:
Associate
There's a few out there but nowhere near the amount of American IPAs, double IPAs, triple IPAs and all that hoppy stuff. Winter to me is stout season, yet in my local supermarkets and craft beer sellers it's always hard to find them.

I saw 4 or 5 in Morrisons earlier. A market last time I was in London had several shelves of them. 8 or 9 quid a can though so a heavy beard and tattoo tax.

Soldato
Full disclosure, I used to work for them. I do like their beers and often get one if I’m in a standard pub without much craft on draft.
They have done so much for beer in this country and round the world I guess they need commended for that. However, they aren’t a rags to rich story: they had extensive backing from angel investors with proven beer history in the USA but they’ve been clever with their money and using bars as Cashflow was pretty smart.

I buy their beers, especially hazy Jane in the supermarkets but there are better beers out there now.

Original Punk Was also so much better than what they are making now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Compared with other "craft" brewers there's nothing really at Brewdog I particularly remember enjoying massively. Unlike Beavertown, Tiny Rebel, Northern Monk etc. I think the last time I had Punk IPA I decided it was actually fairly horrid!
Tiny Rebel are quite local to me and I'm a big fan of a number of their beers. However they take the mad scientist part a bit too far sometimes. One that stands out was a milkyway flavoured IPA, that wasn't nice.

Soldato
However they take the mad scientist part a bit too far sometimes.
Seems a common theme with craft brewers. I don't get it. We have a local here called Weird Beard and they're (obviously) proud of all the crazy beers they produce. The end result is I'm not actually that interested in drinking most of them! Make something I enjoy drinking regularly and you'll have a long term customer, and build up a following. I don't quite understand why they wouldn't want that... :o

Soldato
Full disclosure, I used to work for them. I do like their beers and often get one if I’m in a standard pub without much craft on draft.
They have done so much for beer in this country and round the world I guess they need commended for that. However, they aren’t a rags to rich story: they had extensive backing from angel investors with proven beer history in the USA but they’ve been clever with their money and using bars as Cashflow was pretty smart.

I buy their beers, especially hazy Jane in the supermarkets but there are better beers out there now.

Original Punk Was also so much better than what they are making now.
I don't think their 'punk/independent/craft image they try so hard to push really helps them now. I think most people see through it and find it kind of cringe worthy now.

Associate
I tried their Rattle and Rum stout this weekend and it was unpleasant. I'm not averse to a pastry stout but it's very thin with a very sweet vanilla and rum taste. Layer Cake was much better.

Commissario
Overated branded run of the mill marketing crap.

I find it painfully expensive for very average beer, it's not terrible at least but I wouldn't rate it any higher than any other shop bought "premium" beer.

Brewdog is one of those very big brewers pretending to be a small one,

All of the above. Very average beers, very heavily marketed.

They have a huge range and seem to be doing what Wychwood did a few years ago. They have a core recipe which they minutely tweak and sell under a new name.

Really not a fan of their beer at all.

The original Lone Wolf gin was decent but then they tweaked it to lower the alcohol content and it’s not as good.

Soldato
That's an interesting take - I quite like Wychwood's basic flavour and often their little special ones e.g. bit darker, bit stronger, go up my street too. So I'll happily take most Wychwood beers in the same way I'll typically look elsewhere than Brewdog.

Back
Top Bottom