BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Need to call BT and get a deal. Had infinity 2 for over 18 months now. Wonder if they will stick me on a 12 month deal.

If not any other deals out there i should know about ?

Associate
Need to call BT and get a deal. Had infinity 2 for over 18 months now. Wonder if they will stick me on a 12 month deal.

If not any other deals out there i should know about ?

I, and others, were offered £10 per month for the 52Mbps Infinity 1 at renewal time.

We're still waiting for them to extend our cabinet (by "we", I mean me and my neighbours)

Some of my neighbours have no internet at all, I am stuck down at 2Mbps ADSL, despite being promised that I could upgrade to VDSL once my ADSL line activated. :(

Associate
I wish they would add vectoring to the cabinet I'm on :/. I have only been with BT Infinity 2 for the past 3 days so it may just be the DLM playing with the line during peak times as I keep seeing drops to 30-35MB with a 60-67MB sync speed, max line speed 72MB. The HUB even through the drops is reporting the same settings. Would vectoring fix or reduce the effects of crosstalk in peak times and push my speed up further? I'm 500-550 metres away from the cabinet.

Caporegime
I wish they would add vectoring to the cabinet I'm on :/. I have only been with BT Infinity 2 for the past 3 days so it may just be the DLM playing with the line during peak times as I keep seeing drops to 30-35MB with a 60-67MB sync speed, max line speed 72MB. The HUB even through the drops is reporting the same settings. Would vectoring fix or reduce the effects of crosstalk in peak times and push my speed up further? I'm 500-550 metres away from the cabinet.

I doubt DLM would be reducing the line speed like that. DLM tends to be reactive and it certainly wouldn't be making changes at peak times.

Caporegime

When i upgraded from Infinity 1 to 2 mine did the same for about a week.

Associate
When i upgraded from Infinity 1 to 2 mine did the same for about a week.

The peaktime issue seems to have corrected itself since I wrote this.

Did you experience any HUB disconnections in the first week to 10 days? My HUB seems to be suffering from this line PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request] which disconnected and reset my HUB once, that one reset lowered my profile from 67 to 62 with a 59/60 speed and added 12ms when pinging bbc.co.uk, google.co.uk :|. Experienced two disconnects in total so far the other one being an accidental reset hub in the first 5 minutes of the broadband being switched on :(. The data reading on the HUB to begin with was 75MB now down to 62 with two resets.

Hopefully the HUB, dlm and interleaving issues subside in the next week or so. If not I may well have to start spending to try and correct the problems.

Soldato
Hi guys. Had 80Mb enabled through Origin yesterday after a week of Openreach fun getting the telephony sorted. The Asus router they sent is reporting 80Mb down but even over Ethernet I'm maxing at about 50Mb. I didn't think DLM would be active on VDSL - from the posts above I take it that it is?

Does it work the same as ADSL? Start low, work your way up type of thing?

Cheers.

Soldato
Had nothing but issues since last August, managed to get BT to send Engineers by December then took them until April to replace the line leading into the house, still didn't fix them all. Been on and off with them the since arguing about getting it fixed and them outright saying they've done everything, threatened to contact a Director and that had them trying again.

I got so annoyed recently with the ping/lag spikes i've been having in every online game for the last 10 months and switched my HH5 with an Asus RT-N66U Router and a Huawei HG612 3B Modem and had the last 3/4 days problem free for the first time in almost a year.

Should have done it much sooner the HH5 is so bad, could never go back to one now. When it's working it's a really stable line, when you have issues they dig their feet in and take their sweet time doing anything. It's embarrassing how long it's taken to get things done, even had a period of no internet and phone for almost 4 weeks while they kept making up excuses before they ran a new line in.

In the end it wasn't even them that sorted it, was me paying upwards of £100 to replace their crappy HH5 with something completely better. We had horrible wireless, it never drops anymore either.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What kind of actual throughout do people get on an 80Mb line?

My router shows 9.125MB/s sustained at max speed, though of late the line seems to be jumping around between 65MBit and 77MBit sync a bit but rarely see under 8MB/s download rates so I'm not complaining.

Associate
Openreach are coming to finished off my fttp install today which should be good be nice to jump from 22mb adsl to 300mb and only for £30 a month too can't wait :)

Soldato
I've had an e-mail saying the following:

We know you want broadband that moves as fast as you do, so we're upgrading your BT Infinity to speeds of up to 52Mb. That's faster than both Sky and TalkTalk, who offer 38Mb as standard. In fact, it's the fastest standard service around1.

It'll mean faster access to the things you love online, from speedier downloads to smoother streaming. And better still, you don't have to pay extra or do anything to get it – we'll let you know when it's done.

So sit back, but don't relax – with speeds of up to 52Mb, things online are about to get even more exciting...

They haven't actually said when the BB is upgrading to 52Mb!!

Did anyone else receive an e-mail like this - how long before you got upgraded?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom