BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Soldato
Since I get ~70-75 Mb/s right now, I'm guessing I can at least get the max out the 160/30 Mb/s offering. Not sure I'd bother with the faster one. I assume G.Fast requires a new modem though, right?

Caporegime
At long last this half of the village has caught up with the other half and had fibre completed yesterday!! :D:D:D:

With me being sick and fed up with the abysmal customer service from Plusnet plus my contract ended on Friday and with £154 cashback and a £80 reward card up for grabs I have just ordered BT Infinity unlimited. Possible download speeds of 19-25mb with a minimum guarantee of 16mb and comes with Home Hub 5. While the guaranteed speed isn't as good as some of you it is much better than the 6mb I was on before so that will do me nicely. At £29 a month it's also cheaper than what I was paying Plusnet for ADSL Max. Got a activation date of 28th June which seems really quick to me. Much easier without having the need for mac codes anymore as well.
6mb on ADSL, i could only dream of that. It's been awful where i live for about a year now. Lucky to get 3mb on an upto 8mb package from bt.

Associate
Just moved over to Infinity 2 from Sky Unlimited Fibre yesterday.

With Sky was more or less getting bang on 40Mb down and 10Mb up, with Infinity 2 only currently getting 35Mb down and 13Mb up.

Does it make any difference to the connection speed if you connect the Home Hub 5 (via the WAN port) to a Openreach fibre modem, as opposed to plugging it straight into the master socket?

I know it can take a while for the connection to sort itself out (what is it...normally 3 days or so to a week max?). But surely I should be getting better speeds than I am currently!?

Also, the BT Home Hub 5 WiFi signal strength is shocking compared to my old white Sky hub. Can see me having to put an alternate router in instead of the Home Hub 5 :(

Associate

With Sky was more or less getting bang on 40Mb down and 10Mb up, with Infinity 2 only currently getting 35Mb down and 13Mb up.

Does it make any difference to the connection speed if you connect the Home Hub 5 (via the WAN port) to a Openreach fibre modem, as opposed to plugging it straight into the master socket?

I know it can take a while for the connection to sort itself out (what is it...normally 3 days or so to a week max?). But surely I should be getting better speeds than I am currently!?

Also, the BT Home Hub 5 WiFi signal strength is shocking compared to my old white Sky hub. Can see me having to put an alternate router in instead of the Home Hub 5 :(

I'd give them a buzz. Sounds like they have stuck you on the Infinity 1 profile to me. When i originally took out Inifity 2 it was pretty much bang on 65mb from the get go.

Man of Honour
6mb on ADSL, i could only dream of that. It's been awful where i live for about a year now. Lucky to get 3mb on an upto 8mb package from bt.
Spey bay which is around 36 miles from us and on the North coast between Lossiemouth and Buckie got upgraded to fibre ages ago but something went very wrong because they have been complaining in the local paper of only getting speeds of 0.6-1.2mb!! :eek::eek::eek:

Soldato

Can your line actually achieve speeds faster than 40Mbps?

Associate
Can your line actually achieve speeds faster than 40Mbps?

According to BT it should be able to support the full bandwidth offered, give or take a few Mb of course.

Have spoke to them this morning, and they are claiming that there's a fault on premise and are sending an engineer out Monday. Personally, I can't see how Sky fibre has been working fine for so long without any issues though. Unless of course the issue only arises as the bandwidth is pushed higher.

Soldato
I'm in the same situation as you.

The Peer-to-peer network updating part of Windows 10 does not work by the way. :/

It's not too difficult to set up WSUS if you have a server, then you can set all of your machines to grab updates from that. Helps if you have a slow connection and lots of Windows machines, although it also takes ages the first time (to download all existing updates) and takes up a fair amount of disk space.

Associate
Ok more problems with BT Infinity...

After speaking online with someone at BT last week, they advised that there was a fault on the line (in the house) and that was why I was having speed issues. So an engineer visit was booked for today.

Engineer came out today and checked the line and found no faults, said the line was actually in good shape. Reset the DLM and checked the speeds again, and stated that 40Mb was about the best speed I was going to get on my line without getting errors etc.

However, having spoken back with BT they are assuring me that I should be getting between 60Mb to 80Mb download speeds, and that they knew more about my line and my broadband speeds than an Openreach engineer does.

For comparison between my old Sky Fibre and my new BT Infinity 2, see below;

Left = Old stats on Sky Fibre, Right = new stats on BT Inifinty 2;
136342892006155962437.png
1466444710164915255.png

2577665888.png
5418425983.png

78474746.png
147445965.png

When I placed the order, BT's online broadband checker said I should be able to get Infinity 2, and I also ran the BT Wholesale check on my line at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and it returns the following results;

Now based on the above, what sort of speeds should I be seeing (baring in mind that I'm only about 250m at most from the cab at the top of the street)?

Do I need to keep pushing the issue with BT/Openreach at all, who's telling me the truth about my actual available speeds?

By the way, BT customer service is absolutely shocking! Whilst on the phone to them today I was told the following by someone in the billing department;

1. My Internet usage was to high for my broadband speed, and how can I be using so much bandwidth if I'm saying my broadband speed is so slow.
  2. Customer service representative told me that she knows more about the speed of my Internet connection than the Openreach engineer does.
  3. Told me that the Openreach engineer has no way to test the speed of my Internet connection.
  4. Categorically stated that I was getting a connection speed of between 60Mb to 80Mb, and that the Openreach engineer was incorrect.

Last edited:
Associate

"Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about your interest in the new BT Smart Hub. We want you to have our very latest technology so we're giving you an exclusive offer which lets you have our new BT Smart Hub for £15.00 extra a month. And because you pre-registered, you get to see just how smart it really is before anyone else. "

Erm... sure im going to pay an extra £15 on top of what i pay to have the new hub for 18months.... plus £7.95 delivery

Soldato
Received my email offering me the new Smart Hub for the cost of a new 18 month contract and an extra £2.50 a month.

Thing is I only recently (a month back) renewed my contract as parents wanted to get BT TV. So renewing wouldn't be an issue.

However the email said something along the lines of, if I renewed my contract I would be exempt from the new rates soon to come in. :confused:

"All you have to do is simply sign up to your existing infinity package for an extra £2.50 per month for another 18 months. If you sign up for this package by 2 July, you will avoid the broadband price rise we wrote to you about in May this year. "

Looking at this, maybe it's worth it then.

Last edited:
Associate
think bt hate me, want to charge you 2.50 and me 15.. lol

Oh, and i also applied for a job, got a email inviting me for a telephone interview, i replied, next day they send me another email saying they had to cancel because the induction center i would have gone to was full :s

and then on top of that when the price hikes for bt infinity came in, and they sent out special offers, they sent me offers that were double everyone else lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Received my email offering me the new Smart Hub for the cost of a new 18 month contract and an extra £2.50 a month.

Thing is I only recently (a month back) renewed my contract as parents wanted to get BT TV. So renewing wouldn't be an issue.

However the email said something along the lines of, if I renewed my contract I would be exempt from the new rates soon to come in. :confused:

"All you have to do is simply sign up to your existing infinity package for an extra £2.50 per month for another 18 months. If you sign up for this package by 2 July, you will avoid the broadband price rise we wrote to you about in May this year. "

Looking at this, maybe it's worth it then.

If I understand this rightly, BT are going to increase the BT Infinity 2 prices by £2.50 a month to £32.50. With the special HH deal I can get the new HH and broadband at a locked price of £32.50 for 18 months. Thus avoiding the price hikes.

Sounds like a no brainer. :confused:

Soldato
I'm going to move houses. I'm with Virgin atm and speeds are awesome (80 mbps, and low ping).

Unfortunately the new place I'm moving to doesn't have Virgin :(

BT Infinity is available.

Is it possible to get BT Infinity WITHOUT line rental? I don't have a home phone and don't want one.

Back
Top Bottom