BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
He's talking about the router does a gig connection and it will push a gig client to switch no problem, other then spend loads on home networking there isn't any better way than cat5 into the router direct to get the full 300+ connection.

Working with 5-10k switches at work the hh5 isn't that bad a thing and does the simple things well.

For example my iPad and iPhone will get maybe 100-150mb at a push.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Consumer products have supported Gigabit Ethernet for years. WiFi might be a bottleneck if you don't have an AC access point and devices.

I've not really benched my setup to see what the full capabilities are but I max out the transfer rates of the mechanical HDD in my NAS over gigabit LAN which is 70+MB/s sustained 500+MBit/s.

Soldato
What's the actual real-world throughput of gigabit Ethernet though? It sure as hell ain't a gigabit.
I get 950 Mb/s bandwidth and 115 MB/s file transfers with my bog-standard equipment. Cheapest 24-port and 8-port switches I could find and on-board LAN controllers (one of which is on an 8 year old motherboard).

Gigabit Ethernet would bottleneck SSDs for sure, though.

Soldato
What's everyone doing for WiFi with FTTC etc? We've just moved into a new house so struggling to get coverage everywhere anyway, but even next to the router I'm not maxing my FTTC connection. Usually get around 60Mbps down. It's an 80/20 connection.

Bought an AC 750 router yesterday expecting it to at least max it in the same room. Nope.

Soldato
What's everyone doing for WiFi with FTTC etc? We've just moved into a new house so struggling to get coverage everywhere anyway, but even next to the router I'm not maxing my FTTC connection. Usually get around 60Mbps down. It's an 80/20 connection.

Bought an AC 750 router yesterday expecting it to at least max it in the same room. Nope.
Do you mean that over WiFi you can't hit 60 Mb/s, or do you mean you're not able to max out the 80 Mb/s connection? If the latter, that probably has nothing to do with WiFi; your router probably isn't connecting at that speed.

Soldato
Do you mean that over WiFi you can't hit 60 Mb/s, or do you mean you're not able to max out the 80 Mb/s connection? If the latter, that probably has nothing to do with WiFi; your router probably isn't connecting at that speed.

Likely made a hash of explaining that one. I get 75-ish Mbps down on Ethernet. Can't get anywhere near that over WiFi.

Associate
Anyon had problems with the BT Home hub 5? my wifi keeps freezing when loading pages all the time and disconnecting I keep having to turn the wifi off and on , on my iphone and mac . I am thinking about buying the netgear d7000 and what do people rate of this router?

Soldato
Anyon had problems with the BT Home hub 5? my wifi keeps freezing when loading pages all the time and disconnecting I keep having to turn the wifi off and on , on my iphone and mac . I am thinking about buying the netgear d7000 and what do people rate of this router?

I had those issues with both the HH3 and HH5. WiFi speeds would drop to around 1 Mb/s every couple of days for no apparent reason and web pages would take forever to load (as if there was a huge latency issue), causing me to have to reset it. Never again using crappy ISP routers.

Associate

had a few problems with mine think it froze a few times but biggest problem was it was pathetic with port forwards and mixed it all up and had no way to respond to pings

in the end I got a openreach modem andpaired it with a pfsense install on an old pc and used the hh5 just for wifi

Caporegime
Finally getting switched over to infinity. Upto 52mb package. Activated on the 21st of june. Only recently became available in my village, despite being available for a few years in smaller towens not far from me.

Soldato
I'm thinking of moving from Sky broadband to Bt Infinity. I currently pay line rental to Sky, do you know if it's possible to keep my existing telephone number?

Yes you can quite easily switch from Sky to BT and keep your phone number. You do all that during the sign up process.

Although why do you want to switch? I find BT's customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Personally I find Sky's team a lot more helpful... Reliable network too.

Soldato
Yes you can quite easily switch from Sky to BT and keep your phone number. You do all that during the sign up process.

Although why do you want to switch? I find BT's customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Personally I find Sky's team a lot more helpful... Reliable network too.

I wanted to switch as it would be considerably cheaper and faster than upgrading to fibre with Sky.

I just used BT web chat, then they called me to answer my question but I'll be honest the customer service I received was some of the worst I've ever experienced.

The web chat was like talking to a 5 year old, they then said they'd need to get someone in customer services to call me.
He was happy to take my order over the phone and guarantee that I could keep my number but when I said I'd like to place the order online he got really short and said your on your own then.

It's really put me off going to BT, I think I'll just stick with what I'm on now.

Man of Honour
At long last this half of the village has caught up with the other half and had fibre completed yesterday!! :D:D:D:

With me being sick and fed up with the abysmal customer service from Plusnet plus my contract ended on Friday and with £154 cashback and a £80 reward card up for grabs I have just ordered BT Infinity unlimited. Possible download speeds of 19-25mb with a minimum guarantee of 16mb and comes with Home Hub 5. While the guaranteed speed isn't as good as some of you it is much better than the 6mb I was on before so that will do me nicely. At £29 a month it's also cheaper than what I was paying Plusnet for ADSL Max. Got a activation date of 28th June which seems really quick to me. Much easier without having the need for mac codes anymore as well.

Back
Top Bottom