BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
That's awful.

I'll end up paying for line rental despite not needing it.

Is there a way to find out if my place has fibre to the premises, and not just fibre to the cabinet?

Soldato
But you do need it, it's how the connection is provided.

I've heard there's talk of line rental being abolished if you don't use an actual phone but realistically, they'll just call it something else or build it into the cost of your internet connection instead.

As for the FTTP thing, check SamKnows but I believe the BT website would give you the option for FTTP services if they were available.

Soldato
I absolutely despise BT. I was with them 5 years ago (before I left them for Virgin) and never looked back. Unfortunately I'm forced to go back to them. I really, really hope they've improved in the 5 years I haven't been with them.

What's the best way to get offers? Quidco? Does anyone want to refer me for some money off vouchers (if BT do such a scheme)?

Soldato
I've been with BT since moving into my current flat last July, they've been great. No downtime, solid speeds, decent customer service when I've needed it (usually via Twitter rather than their call centres). They get a lot of hate but it doesn't mean a good experience isn't possible.

TopCashBack was the best one for me as a new customer, think I got about £130 plus a Sainsbury's giftcard from BT for about £50. Infinity was £10.65 with line rental on top. All worked out very cheaply for a 12 month contract.

Soldato
If the BT website says "You could get 73Mb-80Mb Estimated download speed range* (where * means within 1-2Mb)

Does this imply fttp?

All of my TV is via streaming services: Amazon and Netflix. Is BT suitable for this?

Caporegime
I absolutely despise BT. I was with them 5 years ago (before I left them for Virgin) and never looked back. Unfortunately I'm forced to go back to them. I really, really hope they've improved in the 5 years I haven't been with them.

What's the best way to get offers? Quidco? Does anyone want to refer me for some money off vouchers (if BT do such a scheme)?

No, you are NOT forced to go back with them. Any provider that uses the Openreach network will happily take your order. Be that a small provider such as Zen or one fo the major providers such as Sky, BT, Talk Talk or EE. You are not just limited to BT. Openreach should be treating all providers the same but this pseudo 'BT are my only option' is something BT have been relying on for years and years now, despite OFCOM believing the market is fully deregulated.

Caporegime
If the BT website says "You could get 73Mb-80Mb Estimated download speed range* (where * means within 1-2Mb)

Does this imply fttp?

All of my TV is via streaming services: Amazon and Netflix. Is BT suitable for this?

No that's normal FTTC services. FTTP starts around 300Mbps AFAIK.

Check http://dslchecker.bt.com and if FTTP services are available you'll see it as 'FTTH On Demand'

Soldato
No, you are NOT forced to go back with them. Any provider that uses the Openreach network will happily take your order. Be that a small provider such as Zen or one fo the major providers such as Sky, BT, Talk Talk or EE. You are not just limited to BT. Openreach should be treating all providers the same but this pseudo 'BT are my only option' is something BT have been relying on for years and years now, despite OFCOM believing the market is fully deregulated.

But will other providers provide the same level of service? On the BT website they are claiming I'll receive at least 65Mb as a guaranteed minimum speed, and between 73-80Mb estimated download range.

Where as the Sky website states I'll receive up to 17Mb.

Surely they're not the same in terms of service, and for the money I want the best possible service, which is BT.

Caporegime
But will other providers provide the same level of service? On the BT website they are claiming I'll receive at least 65Mb as a guaranteed minimum speed, and between 73-80Mb estimated download range.

Where as the Sky website states I'll receive up to 17Mb.

Surely they're not the same in terms of service, and for the money I want the best possible service, which is BT.

It's very unusual for BT to be able to provide a FTTC service but Sky are unable to. It does happen but it's exceedingly rare. Sky are quoting you for a DSL service.

Also I'm not sure BT will be providing you with the best service at all. The last OFCOM customer satisfaction survey has BT way down the list.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/news/telecoms-and-pay-tv-complaints-dec-2015/

Selected quotes:
OFCOM said:
BT, Post Office HomePhone and TalkTalk also continued to generate landline complaint volumes above the industry average of 17 per 100,000 customers.

OFCOM said:
PlusNet (owned by BT) and BT saw significant increases in their broadband complaints volumes in Q3 2015

If you're considering taking TV from BT, beware.
OFCOM said:
BT became the most complained about pay TV provider in Q3 2015. Complaints volume increased significantly to 25 per 100,000 customers, compared to 11 per 100,000 in Q2 2015.

The main reasons for BT complaints were fault, service and provision issues (31%); complaints handling (25%); and issues relating to billing, pricing and charges (22%).

Last edited:
Soldato
"Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about your interest in the new BT Smart Hub. We want you to have our very latest technology so we're giving you an exclusive offer which lets you have our new BT Smart Hub for £15.00 extra a month. And because you pre-registered, you get to see just how smart it really is before anyone else. "

Erm... sure im going to pay an extra £15 on top of what i pay to have the new hub for 18months.... plus £7.95 delivery

Haha that is shocking. They think that is an offer!?

Associate
Can you post the modem stats?

BTW, your phone number is showing.

Cheers for the phone number spot ;)

Modem stats as in these?
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 1 days, 00:51:41
Downstream: 37.14 Mbps
Upstream: 13.74 Mbps

Have escalated the issue with BT now, and my complaint currently sits with the Executive Level Complaints team.

Today's speedtest results;

1466538269488373055.png

5421319915.png

147507609.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I registered interest in the hub but have no such email! Shame.

The HH5 seems to go down to dial up esque speeds on one of the channels ocasionally and needs a reboot to fix.

Back
Top Bottom