Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Caporegime
I’m happy to stand corrected if you can outline what makes this release warrant a £70 price tag.

For clarity, my view is thus:

-the entire game is built on MW2, which in turn was built in MW2019. So in terms of coding and development they have done what? Reskinned some old maps and chucked in a few new guns and “gameplay” elements. Sounds suspiciously like Apple iPhone sales tactics.
-it has a limited number of MP maps and they are just old maps made to look pretty (ie no new content). They were also supposed to be released as DLC for MW2 and so we’re likely already made in the MW2 dev cycle.
-it has carry over mechanics that essentially mark it out as a DLC. At the very least MW2 owners should get a discount. Balancing is going to be a train crash.
-it has a campaign, yes, but it is just an afterthought and much shorter than what a full price release should be.
-it has an extensive fix list of things that should have been fixed in MW2 but weren’t. So a we pay full price for a game we already paid full price for to be fixed. Awesome.
-zombies mode is basically going to be the war zone map with AI in.

I’ve bought every CoD going since Advanced Warfare. Won’t be buying this until it’s on offer and priced at what a DLC should be priced at.

If you want to drop £70 on it, that is your prerogative but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking MW3 is anything but a cash grab for recycled content.

When the plans/leaks/rumours dropped this was going to be a premium year 2 DLC I was excited as I think the games need 2 years to get going now and when I heard those plans changed to being its own “premium” release I rolled my eyes “oh here we go cash grab activation at it again” and so on, however the more the year went on and the more the community hated everything that had been done to MW2 and Warzone i made a post on Reddit how I believed that the reason it changed was because they wanted to undo all the things that were wrong with the game that Infnity Ward had changed and wanted to use this game as sort of a soft reboot (lol) to correct the course that IW was sailing down, they couldn’t really do that with a “premium DLC” type title whereas with a new “premium” game they can sort of correct that course under the guidance of a new developer.

I can only imagine the **** storm behind the scenes about MW2 and them now basically undoing all of the IW design decisions and seeing the devs talk about it as CoD next saying how they basically unpicked all the bad decisions for MW/WZ2 into what we’re getting for MW3, so no, with the core changes to movement, mini map changes, base health changes, perk system changes I don’t consider this “glorified DLC”.

This isn’t launching with a minimal amount of maps, it’s launching with 16 of some of the best maps in the series with more to come (including remakes of other maps) throughout the year, so I’d argue that fans this year are “eating” as the kids say.

Carryover mechanic is something they should have by default (just like Fortnite) purchased items should be there for every game, how they go about integrations and the such is down to them but CoD really needs to shift focus to being a GaaS where your items carry over, Apex and other such games show the standard it’s up to Activision (hopefully MS see the light once it’s acquired) to change the business practices and I hope this gives us a glimpse to how it’s going to be with Treyarchs next game.

You have zero idea of campaign length so can’t claim it will be short vs a normal game

The zombies mode they showed looked excellent and will be another mode that people can play to just chill in and work towards things, I’m excited for the whole package.

Upto you if you read all that or not, cba with a TL;DR so whatever

Bonus edit: I’ve bought every CoD since Modern Warfare 1 (OG) and very jaded with the franchise (Stockholm syndrome) however this year truly looks like they’re at least trying to sort the game out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The level of gun customisation is what sets COD apart a bit and still makes it interesting.

It's nice being able to use the same overall weapon but set it up for different modes or playstyles.

Obviously, it ends up creating very specific meta weapons and setups but that's the same for near enough any game nowadays.

Last edited:
Soldato
I played the beta a bit yesterday on PS5 (got to level 9 i think), i liked the old maps & the movement, the guns appeared to have less recoil than MW2.

I'll play it some more when the beta goes live on Xbox as i much prefer the Xbox controller.

Other than leveling up the guns in MW2 i've only been playing DMZ, Zombies looks like DMZ without the PvP with big bosses, so might be fun.

I'll give it a go if it lands on GamePass at some point in the future.. Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Ride 5 & Ghost of Tsushima will keep me occupied for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
Upto you if you read all that or not, cba with a TL;DR so whatever

If someone takes time out of their day to respond to me, then yes I will absolutely read every word.

Some fair points. Re number of maps - I had read somewhere it was only releasing with 8, so that’s my bad.

Also re maps - it’s all old stuff that’s been reskinned right? Granted there’s some good maps from past games but why is the franchise not moving forwards and creating brand new maps that will create their own legacy? What is with the obsession for recycling old content? Just feels lazy somehow.

I don’t really class changes to base health and movement etc as anything more than tweaks to base engine /gameplay and isn’t really going to need huge development time.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking for it to be free, but £70 feels a bit cheeky.

Re GaaS, it’s true that this model has worked for other titles, and I expect it will eventually become the norm for large franchises to run their own subs.

Having now actually played the MW3 Beta I’m not a fan (yet). It’s not terrible but feels all wrong after MW2. It seems very much focused on that floaty run and gun stuff you typically find in in a black ops game. Doubly so with the covert sneakers. The last two modern warfare games have felt very “weighty” with the gunplay and movement, which I really like. MW3 movement and gunplay so far feels very arcady.

Possibly due to to it being Beta, but hit reg feels off and the instadeath feeling has returned big time (or at least it has for me). Aim assist also feels broken.

This game definitely feels like it’s reverting to multi lane kill and be killed mechanics, whereas the last two MW titles have been more measured and less frantic.

Having said that I completely hated Cold War initially but got into it in the end, lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having now actually played the MW3 Beta I’m not a fan (yet). It’s not terrible but feels all wrong after MW2. It seems very much focused on that floaty run and gun stuff you typically find in in a black ops game. Doubly so with the covert sneakers. The last two modern warfare games have felt very “weighty” with the gunplay and movement, which I really like. MW3 movement and gunplay so far feels very arcady.

Possibly due to to it being Beta, but hit reg feels off and the instadeath feeling has returned big time (or at least it has for me). Aim assist also feels broken.

This game definitely feels like it’s reverting to multi lane kill and be killed mechanics, whereas the last two MW titles have been more measured and less frantic.

Pretty much sums up how I felt playing it last night for about 4hrs. I had some games early on where I held my own and it didn't feel too bad just different and not grounded.

Then it just seemed to get worse as time went on and it started to feel like everyone had armour and I didn't. I actually finished one match with only 2 kills.

I jumped back onto MW2 to sense check myself before bed and ended the match top of the server with 30+ kills and a win.

not keen, maybe hardcore mode will make it feel more like MW2 ttk and I will do ok. Dunno.

Guess I have fast reactions and can get on target quick but not stay on target long enough to get the kill, bit like how I suck at Warzone.

Soldato
I managed to get in literally one game before the 1st beta ended last night.
I thought I'd hate the longer TTK but it didn't bother me. Actually being able to run around with quiet footsteps instantly made the game more enjoyable. I encountered a couple of bunny hopping sweats and it just made me laugh. Why play like that in a beta? :cry:

Associate
I managed to get in literally one game before the 1st beta ended last night.
I thought I'd hate the longer TTK but it didn't bother me. Actually being able to run around with quiet footsteps instantly made the game more enjoyable. I encountered a couple of bunny hopping sweats and it just made me laugh. Why play like that in a beta? :cry:
The closed beta was on another level for this. It seemed like everyone who pre-ordered the game was on steroids in the sessions I had.

The SBMM gods blessed me for a few games to start - immediately started with 3 games where I had 30+ kills and less than 10 deaths - then I went into non-stop sweat lobbies for the next 5 games and decided that I'd enjoyed the beta enough and to call it a day...!

Last edited:
Associate
I've only played on Skidrow, Estate & Rust (currently rank 16). Are there any other maps in the beta?
Highrise & Favela as well, it's only those 5 for the beta.
Really hope they remove the god awful map voting for the full release. Just endless Skidrow and Rust.

Sigh.
??? It's the beta, people will vote for the maps they want to play. Map voting being back is great, it'd be madness if they removed it.

Last edited:
Soldato
??? It's the beta, people will vote for the maps they want to play. Map voting being back is great, it'd be madness if they removed it.

I disagree. Previous games with this feature have essentially been the same few popular maps on constant rotation.

Gets tired real quick if you don’t enjoy the maps that are played the most.

Associate
The killstreaks have been terrible on the beta in my view , really hope they are better in the full game , would be nice to have the original killstreaks from MW3 but i think thats not going to happen , use to love the Predator Missile , Pavlow , Precision Airstrike

Associate
I disagree. Previous games with this feature have essentially been the same few popular maps on constant rotation.

Gets tired real quick if you don’t enjoy the maps that are played the most.
I think you should always have the option to vote between two maps + a random one. That's worked really well in previous games.

It's been a shame to have no map voting (outside of Black Ops Cold War) since MW19, you just end up with people leaving lobbies when certain maps come up over and over. Definitely agree that it can lead to less popular maps being less played but I think I'd always like to have the option of voting for the map I want to play rather than just be told what map I'm playing every time.

Soldato
I think you should always have the option to vote between two maps + a random one. That's worked really well in previous games.

It's been a shame to have no map voting (outside of Black Ops Cold War) since MW19, you just end up with people leaving lobbies when certain maps come up over and over. Definitely agree that it can lead to less popular maps being less played but I think I'd always like to have the option of voting for the map I want to play rather than just be told what map I'm playing every time.

I wouldn’t mind map voting if the system didn’t give recently played maps as an option but it always seems like the same maps come up time and time again and I guess that is due to SBMM constantly changing the lobby you are in.

Also as a complete aside - the level of flinch in this Beta is beyond silly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom