Can they sack me?

Associate
OP
So, interesting chat with the manager earlier today.

They have decided that should I wish to stay on they will be fine with that providing I agree to have a deputy manager (I know her, she's pretty decent and it was she who carried out my initial interview last year) monitor me for a time (I'm not sure how long). Basically making sure my big mouth doesn't go flapping around certain contentious issues (even when other people start talking about them). I don't know exactly how she will be doing this. Tapping my phone? Hacking my emails? Hiding behind urinals in the staff toilets? I suppose randomely checking in with people I've been working alongside, which of course could lead to anyone saying anything. He also wanted assurance that I am mature enough to work alongside certain women.

I said to him: 'Let me think about it. I appreciate the offer but I have some other options at the moment and I want to check them out first.'

He asked if this means I had been looking for other jobs while working there.

I say that no - this has all happened since I left our meeting yesterday morning. I had to assume the worst and started looking elsewhere. The sector is crying out for staff at the moment and I'm a good worker; always on time and has never had a moment off since starting the job. I'm also not one for sitting around the staff room when things need done either, and not everyone in the company can say that about themselves.

I wondered if I was laying it on a bit thick but thought: **** it! What have I got to lose!? You guys have been saying here at OverClockers that I could do with putting up a bit more of a fight so I decided to go for it a little.

I think what's happened is that, and this is only speculation of course, the manager has written up notes of our conversation yesterday and while he hasn't danced around the issues and problems that have arisen he's also written quite fairly about my character; that I appear honest and that perhaps some of this might be misunderstanding, or at least hyperbole on the part of my accuser. HR might have asked about my performance at work outside of the staff room - like what we're actually supposed to be doing; what we are paid for; and the deputy manager (the woman who would be tasked with ''monitoring'' me) has said that there are no issues there, that I'm pretty solid.

Makes me wonder if either the HR department is actually decent at the company; or that at least the manager is; or that they are crying out for staff so much that they are willing to tolerate bad apples who want to say things like that they are glad that they didn't kill their daughter in the womb 21 years ago; but I don't think this is the case as they have agency workers on tap; or quite what it means.

The manager asks that I contact him by Friday with my decision, basically so that they could get me back to work for Saturday morning.

I say that this will not be possible. I have things on this week. I have job interviews and on Monday I have training for another position. The earliest I would be willing to come back would be Wednesday, so a week tomorrow.

An amazing thing then happens: he stutters. Just a little, but it's there. He can't promise I'll be paid if I'm off until next Wednesday but I say I'll take annual leave.

I will contact him by Friday or they know that I am not interested in the offer; but they know that I have training for another job on Monday and accept that - that is how we left it.

Makes me wonder. This would put me on somewhat of a 'last chance' with this company, I should think, but it does make me think about the maybe being a company that looks out for its staff. I may be being naive again but based on what you guys have been saying here over the last couple of days managers and HR departments always take the easy way out. These guys have decided to take a risk, to give the benefit of the doubt. It's either desparation or they are genuinely decent.

You might think me mad but I'm a little on the fence.

The location and shift pattern are excellent for me in this current job. The other position, the one I have the training for on Monday, it is much further away and would be less convenient. The intererview on Friday I will find out more about at the time.

The main question is around my colleagues. Can I stand to work beside one of them in particular? How do I feel about being ''monitored''?

Plenty to think about in the coming days...

P. S. Who is Maccy that keeps deleting posts from earlier today?

Associate
OP
On another note though, you seem to be a decent chap and I hope you stick around for more regular postings. :)
Yeah, I think I'll stick around. Reading the comments here has certainly helped make the long weekend less stressful. I appreciate the feedback, both positive and negative.

Man of Honour
Will you be able to work with your accuser (I wouldn't..) or if possible avoid her completely with different shifts etc?

Also, what's stopping them targeting the OP again? Could the OP be certain that they will never be alone with that person ever again, anywhere at any time? It's a risk the OP needs to assess.

Soldato
Also, what's stopping them targeting the OP again? Could the OP be certain that they will never be alone with that person ever again, anywhere at any time? It's a risk the OP needs to assess.
It would be too much stress for me when it would be easy enough to just have a fresh start elsewhere. Life's too short to put up with this sort of toxic crap at work.

Soldato
Honestly, if you're working in the care sector you can literally walk into another job, my missus works in this sector and they are always crying out for decent staff.
The amount of incompetent people is shocking, she often trains the new starters and she is quite a few cases teaching them how to use a computer for the first time as well as english lessons and they are supposed to be supporting vulnerable people.

I agree with others here, I wouldn't want to be working at a place where a random member of staff had caused me an issue and got away with it.
Now you are monitored and she carries on as normal ?

that being said, because you can walk into another job, if this one does suit you then there is nothing to lose by staying for a bit longer and seeing if it works out.
Can you request not to work with this woman by the way ?

Man of Honour
Might be worth adding to the other opinions:

The company has probably been put into a bit of a crappy position by this complaint. If you like the company and it’s a decent role that otherwise works for you, I wouldn’t cut ties just because you resent the complaint. The company itself didn’t make the complaint.

… this applies even if you’re 100% in the right, morally or technically.

Don’t kill a good thing just because it feels empowering to exercise your right to kill it.

That’s not saying that you shouldn’t leave… only you can read the room.

Soldato
Reading through this I can honestly say this job is done, get out because what’s to say you turn down another position and then when all those avenues have closed the vindictive woman starts again, I would say they’ll be looking to get rid and you’ll be up the creek without a paddle

Soldato
Plenty to think about in the coming days...

A while back I had to make a difficult decision, and I had a number of possible options.

One thing I did that really helped, was to write them all down in a spreadsheet of "pros and cons" with the respective pro and con of each option listed top to bottom.

It made it easier to digest all of the possibilities and from there - I could make a more informed decision, rather than just rely on gut.

Sometimes it's good to rely on gut feeling, but I find that having the data written down in front of me, is probably more sensible when making big decisions.

For what it's worth, it sounds like you've got some good options too - and it also sounds like your current employer is not being a complete **** about it and they're going about it in a fair and right way. They could very easily cut you loose and they haven't, and it sounds like some people there like you.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
They are going to 'monitor' you? Like you are a kid in school or something?

Why would you want to stay in a place like this, regardless of the location and shifts. It will only be a matter of time until another problem comes up.

Definitely get out now.

Soldato
Hmm, it strikes me it was quite an aggressive response to them (not that it was the wrong response) if you then might stay with them? As you say, it sounds like they dealt with the situation the right way. I personally think the more aggressive response would have been called for if they didn't deal with it in a fair manner.

Rather than, 'No, I won't be doing that, I'll let you know by Wednesday' I think I would have gone more along the lines of, 'I apprecaite you've handled this how you have, but the process shook me a little and I looked into my options. I'm concerned by the apparent 'issue' my colleague has with me so I'd like a little more time to explore my options, if you don't mind.'

Good luck though, it will be interesting to hear how things pan out.

Associate
OP
While management may try to keep us apart sometimes things get really busy and I can't see us not having to work together at some point but also there will be certain times when I will definitely be in the staff room with my accuser alone, putting both of us in a risky position. After sleeping on it I am leaning more to getting out of there. I don't want to do it just yet while I have other options in the pipeline but nothing I'm able to fully commit to.

To be honest I'm beginning to think the care sector just isn't for me. I like that I can get my 35-40 hours done in three days which is one of the main attractions but, and my ex-wife used to say this all the time in her nursing roles so this isn't just my perspective: workplaces made up of predominantely women are always the most stressful working environments. Just too much bickering and backstabbing and not enough getting on with the task at hand.

Associate
While management may try to keep us apart sometimes things get really busy and I can't see us not having to work together at some point but also there will be certain times when I will definitely be in the staff room with my accuser alone, putting both of us in a risky position. After sleeping on it I am leaning more to getting out of there. I don't want to do it just yet while I have other options in the pipeline but nothing I'm able to fully commit to.

To be honest I'm beginning to think the care sector just isn't for me. I like that I can get my 35-40 hours done in three days which is one of the main attractions but, and my ex-wife used to say this all the time in her nursing roles so this isn't just my perspective: workplaces made up of predominantely women are always the most stressful working environments. Just too much bickering and backstabbing and not enough getting on with the task at hand.
I'm also in Fife and know plenty of people, and have family, who worked in the care industry (private and NHS) and they've all left it. Seems to be absolutely rancid around here so I'd hazard a guess that it could be potentially problematic elsewhere.

Associate
Life's too short to be working where you aren't valued and appreciated.
There are so many toxic work environments and too few people ready to challenge them.

I would most certainly leave, and find a job else where. I would also ensure that you request an exit interview with HR, and describe the woman's vendetta against you and cite it as your main reason for leaving.
You've left, and most references provided now are: Job title, dates and that's about all they are allowed to disclose, so that should be fine, and HR are aware of the woman's actions and it's then down to them what they do with that information.

It means that next time she does something similar it might not be treated in the same way.

Soldato
I don't think the response comes across as aggressive in the context, I think it's appropriately assertive from someone who's just been told they'll get a babysitter to make sure they behave themselves and asked if they're mature enough to work with people who have filed (taking the comments here at face value) petty and potentially exaggerated complaints.

The whole situation is past the whole "is it OK with you if I think about it please?" level of deference, I think standing your ground and telling them when you'll get back to them was absolutely the right thing to do.

Associate
If you do agree to stay (or even before you decide you defo want to leave), how about requesting that you and the woman have some form of mediation. Nothing formal, just a bit of a chat to clear the air, supervised of course. Maybe you can then see how things are, whether you trust her moving forward, or if you still want to go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom