Can they sack me?

Soldato

I've heard stories about the so-called '********* Generation', usually from American commentators but also here in the UK as well. I think I've now seen some evidence of it in the real world: someone who would bring up a topic but then not like having their views on it contradicted with a real-world example and then feel entitled to try to cause as much damage to their reputation as possible to the point where they have to be ''monitored'' for a time should they decide to return to work.

It's actually quite terrifying when you think about it for a while.

Cancelling people has become a tactic in many walks of life. Especially at work, and in the corporate arena. So you want to avoid any contentious issues. If you are the wrong demographic, the deck is stacked against you in any discussions.

Associate
OP
The training day was decent. Could really see me working there. The thought of going back to my job on Wednesday is not a pleasant one. The only big hurdle I can see in getting this new job is the two character references and two professional references required to get me through the induction. I can't use my most recent employer as a reference.

It could put me in a bit of a pickle, forced to remain in my current job until I can use them as a reference in the future. Nightmare. Let's hope it doesn't come to that...

Soldato
The training day was decent. Could really see me working there. The thought of going back to my job on Wednesday is not a pleasant one. The only big hurdle I can see in getting this new job is the two character references and two professional references required to get me through the induction. I can't use my most recent employer as a reference.

It could put me in a bit of a pickle, forced to remain in my current job until I can use them as a reference in the future. Nightmare. Let's hope it doesn't come to that...
Guess your lardy female work colleague is not an option for a character reference?? :p

Soldato

You could make it easy for your current employer, if they are even vaguely considering inviting you to leave (or just want the problem to go away with minimum fuss) then giving you a good reference actually makes their position much easier as you leave willingly and they are left to deal with a Karen who will no doubt try this on someone else later down the line

Associate

Why can't you use your current job? Not been there long enough.

I'm not sure what negative thing they could say about you in a standard reference. Maybe that's just my naivety though.

Associate
OP
Plot twist. He has started to date her and will remain in the same job.
Yeah, we're expecting our fourth child any day.

So I have a voicemail on my phone from the manager of my job from last week asking me to contact them to let me know that I'm alright and whether I intend to return to work or not, this is after I failed to show up for a shift last week as I had arranged a training day for another company. This keeps happening: I promise myself I'll phone him back but then I manage to arrange an interview or RAP or induction or something with someone else and so I tell myself I'll contact him by the end of the week.

Yesterday I receieve a letter in the mail from the manager asking me to please contact him and explain whether or not I intend to return to work. Fair enough. I really should, and they are trying everything to get an answer from me. I said to myself I would phone him today and tell him I'll be back on Monday (want to keep the job until I know for certain I have another job to walk into) but I've just received a message from another company confirming I'll be shadowing all day Monday.

So now I'm thinking that I'll be phoning them on Monday to let them know I'll be back on Wednesday. Obviously he'll not wait forever but at the moment I like having all of these options. Just need to pick one soon and go with it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So very true. Makes me wonder why they haven't just sacked me. Maybe the manager is just a really understanding guy; maybe they are desparate for staff. I bumped into someone from the job down town the other day and he was asking about what was going on since I hadn't been around. Found out that my woman accuser is not a full-time staff member but an 'occasional' - meaning that she doesn't have a full-time contract. Don't know what that might have to do with anything but I did have a contract and could be leaving while someone without one will be staying.

Soldato
So now I'm thinking that I'll be phoning them on Monday to let them know I'll be back on Wednesday. Obviously he'll not wait forever but at the moment I like having all of these options. Just need to pick one soon and go with it.
You've really not played this one very well by not showing up and not communicating.

If you wanted out, you could have just said that to them really and gone with your other options. If you're not confident with your other options, you really should have kept this current one sweet with the situation.

You risk everyone losing in this scenario and not communicating just puts them in a real situation as well.

Soldato
Sounds like a right horrible company.
Personally, I disagree. Sounds like they're handling things quite well... especially based on OP's last few posts.

You've really not played this one very well by not showing up and not communicating.
This, I would agree with. You've moved yourself from a position of pretty much being able to claim to be the victim, to now a weaker position of having done things wrong and I assume acted in violation of your contract.

I still hope it works out well for you. Sounds like it will do.

Back
Top Bottom