Can they sack me?

Associate
OP
Rather than, 'No, I won't be doing that, I'll let you know by Wednesday' I think I would have gone more along the lines of, 'I apprecaite you've handled this how you have, but the process shook me a little and I looked into my options. I'm concerned by the apparent 'issue' my colleague has with me so I'd like a little more time to explore my options, if you don't mind.'
This isn't too far from what was said. I did mention that I respected the decision to give me the benefit of the doubt in all of this when the easier option for them would probably have been to show me the door and that this makes me feel as though this is a company that tries to do the right thing and is there for its employees, which is something I appreciate.

I did also mention my concerns over the complaints. It's not the one about abortion that really gets to me - that is something I said, I told my story which makes it very clear my stance on the issue. That's all fair enough, and that's the reason that all of this has happened. It's the other claims that bother me a little more. The one about the sexual comment and then her not wanting a lift home afterwards because she felt uncomfortable when in reality she liked the comment and I did give her a lift home that night. Her claiming to be uncomfortable enough to not want a lift with me that night is an outright lie, but I have no way of proving it.

The main issue was the comments regarding the service user with cerebral palsy and my apparently asking what the point of his life was when in reality I was simply trying to find out more about the guy and how to best support him. This one comes across as particularly manipulative and vindictive and in my view is a deliberate attempt to twist what I said. Because this comment is related to a service-user and so is within the context of a conversation about work this one concerned me the most because it feels designed to show seniors at the company that I lack empathy.

Overall though, and this is not something I would get into with the manager or anyone else at work, I find it quite disturbing actually that someone of 22 years of age, so no longer really a child; a mother, no less; and a self-confessed fan of Donald Trump to boot; would become so offended by a conversation that she would carry all of this through. I try to imagine myself even reporting someone for such a thing let alone following it up with further accusations. We were fine prior to the abortion chat. It appears as though she's gone out of her way to try to paint a negative picture of me such that it had the chance of costing me my job. Not only that but she loses nothing out of the whole scenario, unless someone has had a word with her about it that I know nothing of since I haven't been in since last Wednesday.

She's been crafty, this woman. She hasn't made up stories from thin air. She has based her complaints around topics and conversations that did occur. She's just twisted them a little (and by a little I mean a lot). This means that HR have to get around the idea that she could have interpreted me in this way, that I may have meant A but she feels B, or perhaps she feels B because I really did mean B and am just saying that I meant A. It's a no-proof-required scenario. Seems to be about how someone feels about what was said and not the actual thing that was said. It's a tricky situation and not one I would like to have dumped on my desk to deal with.

In all seriousness it speaks to a larger issue, I feel. I think back 20 years to when I was that age and I know that politics and these hot-button topics weren't as talked about among youngsters as they are now but I can't think of a single example of someone at this age back in the late '90s / early '00s that I know of who would have acted in this way over someone elses' opinion clashing with their own.

Imagine I had been really nasty to her and called her a baby-killer and went in really hard about how bad a person I thought she was (not that I did at the time, maybe now though). She literally might never have recovered.

I've heard stories about the so-called '********* Generation', usually from American commentators but also here in the UK as well. I think I've now seen some evidence of it in the real world: someone who would bring up a topic but then not like having their views on it contradicted with a real-world example and then feel entitled to try to cause as much damage to their reputation as possible to the point where they have to be ''monitored'' for a time should they decide to return to work.

It's actually quite terrifying when you think about it for a while.

Soldato
taking the comments here at face value
I realise my comments come across as quite negative, but I guess I'm trying to balance things as all too often I've dealt with similar situations and what the defendant says is often very different to what some witnesses might attest to. I'm not saying OP issn't totally innocent, just offering the other side a little.
"is it OK with you if I think about it please?"
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying you say this. I'm saying you tell them what you're doing, but in a nice polite and professional way. Personally, I feel OP might be in a slight pickle as he's not good at choosing the right words, as I think I mentioned earlier with the 'if you're saying you'll do anything' bit.

In fairness, reading back, maybe it wasn't too bad. 'Let me think about it. I appreciate the offer but I have some other options at the moment and I want to check them out first.' was perfect. It just seemed maybe it then flipped a little to 'I'll tell you how long you'll give me off'.

**Disclaimer: I realised OP has posted while I type this, so my post is before reading the above**

Associate
I've heard stories about the so-called '********* Generation', usually from American commentators but also here in the UK as well. I think I've now seen some evidence of it in the real world: someone who would bring up a topic but then not like having their views on it contradicted with a real-world example and then feel entitled to try to cause as much damage to their reputation as possible to the point where they have to be ''monitored'' for a time should they decide to return to work.

It's actually quite terrifying when you think about it for a while.
These type of people have always existed, it's just more apparent nowadays with varying forms of social media and people feeling like because they can have an opinion, they should.

I'm 33 - I work with people who are early 20's are who are idiots and I work with people who are late 50s who are idiots. It doesn't matter what generation you are, there are idiots about.

I'm not sure it's terrifying - but I do think you've unfortunately got someone that you work with that's a bit of a ***** and has actively caused you issues. I'm sure you know this but you're always going to find these people exist at any job, unfortunately. It's just down to how much you have to interact with them and how much you can tolerate them.

Soldato
I was going to post this earlier, but it seemed like you'd made your mind up on leaving. Now you might be staying, maybe it helps:

My opinion is you can out-last the accuser, as in they leave the company before you do. In my experience toxic people don't last long. If you're around and doing fine, and that person repeats their toxic behaviour, the company will get sick of them and they'll move on.

Consider the situation you've been there a couple of years and that person isn't there any more. Maybe that's quite a decent outcome.

Man of Honour
I'd move anyway even if you don't lose this job. Sounds like it would be miserable for you if you have to constantly walk on eggshells.
Agreed I couldn't work in a place where I had to tread on eggshells all the time...

The amount of innuendo in our office is perfect blend of fun, and silliness but without it going too far. No one has raised a complain, and the women get involved as much if not more than the men.

Politics, and other more sensitive things though I tend to keep clear, I tend to say "I have certain opinions on the topic, but I don't think the work place is the right place to explore them"... Funny isn't it, how innuendo is less harmful now than a lot of other topics.

I hope you get to the bottom of it and everything gets cleared up @89wy89

Soldato
Agreed I couldn't work in a place where I had to tread on eggshells all the time...

The amount of innuendo in our office is perfect blend of fun, and silliness but without it going too far. No one has raised a complain, and the women get involved as much if not more than the men.

Politics, and other more sensitive things though I tend to keep clear, I tend to say "I have certain opinions on the topic, but I don't think the work place is the right place to explore them"... Funny isn't it, how innuendo is less harmful now than a lot of other topics.

I hope you get to the bottom of it and everything gets cleared up @89wy89
I think he needs to keep well away from her bottom tbh.

Associate
OP
Why would that be a risk to them?
I think there's a chance she'll be pretty uncomfortable about the whole situation. It's impossible to know quite what she was expecting when she made the complaint. It's probably been a whole lot easier for her because she's on a two-week holiday now. Her holiday started the day I received the call from management the first time (last Friday, Feb. 23), so two days after I last saw her and four days after the abortion discussion.

She won't be back until I'm guessing March 09 if she's taking a full two weeks which I believe is the case.

You're right though - at face value it will definitely be more uncomfortable for me than for her, but I get the impression that she's a bit of a stress-head and I think I remember hearing that she was on meds for depression and anxiety and suchlike. She probably doesn't like confrontation all that much, which explains what seems to be an effort to cost me my job or at least show me who's boss.

She might be expecting me to be gone when she comes back but I bet a part of her is freaking out at the prospect of me sitting in the staff room the day she returns. Imagine that - and it were just the two of us. Surely my ''monitor'' wouldn't allow that to happen. I also think she'll have spoken with some of the other staff and they will say that I haven't been in for the last few days. It's impossible to know.

Soldato
I think you will have a strong case for unfair dismissal if they got rid of you.

Unless they're stupid enough to tell him they're letting him go for a particular automatically unfair or discriminatory reason, he won't have a strong case for unfair dismissal because he hasn't been there for two years.

Soldato
These type of people have always existed, it's just more apparent nowadays with varying forms of social media and people feeling like because they can have an opinion, they should.

I'm 33 - I work with people who are early 20's are who are idiots and I work with people who are late 50s who are idiots. It doesn't matter what generation you are, there are idiots about.

I'm not sure it's terrifying - but I do think you've unfortunately got someone that you work with that's a bit of a ***** and has actively caused you issues. I'm sure you know this but you're always going to find these people exist at any job, unfortunately. It's just down to how much you have to interact with them and how much you can tolerate them.
There have always been toxic folks in the workplace, but back when HR was called Personnel & Payroll, claims of unacceptable behaviour were investigated on the basis of facts, not feelings.

Associate
OP
I think you will have a strong case for unfair dismissal if they got rid of you.
They've given me the option of staying on if I agree to be ''monitored'' for a time (I'm not sure how long).

Maybe they think if they do this then I will walk and then they won't have to worry about it.

Have two interviews tomorrow though so will see what happens then.

Soldato
Unless they're stupid enough to tell him they're letting him go for a particular automatically unfair or discriminatory reason, he won't have a strong case for unfair dismissal because he hasn't been there for two years.

He could submit a Subject Access Request when he leaves if he wanted to be a real bugger. :D

Associate
OP
Been for a couple of interviews today. One of them is a no-go due to the shift patterns but the other one might be okay, I'd just have to work out less than ideal shifts. I still have the training day (RAP?) on Monday for a third job and a fourth one (one I turned down last year) got back to me saying that they aren't looking for anyone permanent at the moment but would I be willing to do a shift here and there for the time being. They will pay me for a couple of shadow shifts next week. I already have PVG and ID badge from last year so would be ready to go straight into work.

Spoke with the manager of my current job earlier as we'd agreed we would on Tuesday. Told him I'll be back at work on Wednesday. At the moment I have the choice of four jobs (so it's true what they say about the care sector crying out for staff):

- the one I have the training for on Monday
- job interviewed today with less than ideal shifts
- the one offering shifts here and there for the time being
- my existing job that expects me back at work on Wednesday

Without realising I've listed them in order of preference.

Soldato
Spoke with the manager of my current job earlier as we'd agreed we would on Tuesday. Told him I'll be back at work on Wednesday. At the moment I have the choice of four jobs (so it's true what they say about the care sector crying out for staff):

Whatever you do, make sure you pick the option which suits you, above absolutely everything else, remember - with all companies, if the boot is on the other foot - they'll do what's best for them, so make sure you do whatever suits you.

Back
Top Bottom