Cities Skylines 2 is Official!

Soldato
I dont see why, your limited to a block size to start off. To me it should be your whole map.
It’s part of the game/city progression, it’s not as limiting in CS2 as it was in CS1, you can unlock new squares really quickly.

Or just wait for mod support and the inevitable ‘unlock all the squares’ mod.

Soldato
I love the first Skylines but £75 for the ultimate edition and some savage reviews on steam is keeping me well clear of this one. I'll wait until it's fixed and has workshop support.

Associate
For some reason this new version does not seem the same to me.
The video logs seems really cool - but playing doesnt seem that much of a difference to the first game.

Is it because its new?
Older game has more improvements over time.

Whats your feeling on the new version?

Soldato
I love the first Skylines but £75 for the ultimate edition and some savage reviews on steam is keeping me well clear of this one. I'll wait until it's fixed and has workshop support.
The issues at the start of the game, never affected me too badly, they were there but it was playable - however from all areas the game is vastly, vastly improved than when it was released.

I would not listen to a lot of the reviews on Steam now, as the game feels much much better now.

Workshop support will never happen - they are moving to their own mod platform for this game, but you can already get some unofficial mods.

Soldato
I'm really enjoying it. The pre-Christmas patch really helped. The vanilla game (in particular the road construction) is so much better. I really like the mixed use zoning and a few other of the cool features.

The mods I've seen being demo'd by Youtubers look great. Once they're available through the official mod store in a few months time then I think the game will very quckly reach parity with CS1. After that, I'd just be looking for a few expansions to flesh out some of the buildings\features. As to be expected coming from Paradox, it's a bit barebones at the moment. You're comparing it against an 8yr old game tho.

Soldato
its certainly improved massively since launch

i keep getting random crashes with a 3080 though, other rig with a 3060ti is fine but my 3080 for whatever reason does not like this game
completely random crashes could be 5 mins 30 mins or an hour in, latest drivers for mobo/gpu and w11 up to date. frustrating.com

Associate
The video logs seems really cool - but playing doesnt seem that much of a difference to the first game.

Is it because its new?

I'm liking it, and I can see a better long-term product than the original, but it's missing a bit of spark and life to me. Needs a greater number of animations, asset variations (both size and quantity). Custom industry looks naff but has potential. And I'm really missing a few mods, namely, move-it, network multitool, traffic manager and an undo function. No issue with performance on a mediocre system - but do get random crashes.

Soldato
I'm enjoying it a lot. The only thing I'm getting hung up with at the moment is making interchanges from Highway to City not clogging up. I'm terrible at building my own, and the in built ones aren't very exhaustive.

Performance wise, I'm on a Rog X16 (13900h, 64gb, 4070) and getting around 40fps on medium ish settings at 5120 x 1440. Which is perfectly acceptable in my view.

Before the Xmas patch I was getting around 25fps

Associate
I'm enjoying it a lot. The only thing I'm getting hung up with at the moment is making interchanges from Highway to City not clogging up. I'm terrible at building my own, and the in built ones aren't very exhaustive.

Performance wise, I'm on a Rog X16 (13900h, 64gb, 4070) and getting around 40fps on medium ish settings at 5120 x 1440. Which is perfectly acceptable in my view.

Before the Xmas patch I was getting around 25fps
I was ok at building interchanges in CS1, but other than creating a simple diamond or trumpet, CS2 really needs network multitool, node controller and traffic manager to make building easier and perform better. Fingers crossed they (or similar) will be developed soon.

Soldato
I was ok at building interchanges in CS1, but other than creating a simple diamond or trumpet, CS2 really needs network multitool, node controller and traffic manager to make building easier and perform better. Fingers crossed they (or similar) will be developed soon.
I bet you aren’t comparing building intersections in vanilla CS1 though given all those mods you’ve listed. because doing it in vanilla CS1 is dire compared to vanilla CS2.

I tried to play vanilla CS1 after playing modded for a year, I lasted an hour before all the mods went back on.

Last edited:
Soldato

Is it because its new?

I would need to play it more, been hesitating to until the performance had improved AND we have mod support. But my first impressions, due to how relatively mature CS 1 had become since 2015 and umpteen patches, mods and DLC's, is a little underwhelming. Perhaps more so when viewed from a distance and the overall graphics look a little "meh" without the parks and other amenities seeming to be used.
But, hopefully, much of that could well change over time, the performance already improved compared to first release, and when some more patches / mod support finally lands things should very much improve.

As noted, first impressions were not "wow", but that was somewhat influenced with ow poor it was at launch. Heck even some of the cars were driving rectangle boxes with no textures, lol...!

Soldato
Now it's been patched up a bit is the performance any good now. I play at 1440p and my specs are in my sig, what sort of frame rate and settings will I be getting?

Associate
Now it's been patched up a bit is the performance any good now. I play at 1440p and my specs are in my sig, what sort of frame rate and settings will I be getting?
Not sure given I run only a 6600XT at 1200p but it's perfectly playable - 30-45fps with high populations and zoomed in. On empty maps / or zoomed out it'll be 60 ish. The sim still lags on high populations though. That still needs addressing. Seems to differ map to map too which is weird.

Last edited:
Associate
I was really looking forward to this game, didn’t pay attention to the requirements at the launch. But sense then I have, will need to up grade my CPU and GPU first from the looks of it.:(

Associate
I can't believe how many hours I've already played CS2 in a week!!

I never played the original so don't have that to compare!

I do find that I can never meet the demand for the low level residential - even if I zone massive areas the green bar for it is always full!! I'm going to try another build and concentrate more on education I think as my current town/city is struggling with educated workers now.

Soldato
OP
I spent about 1.5 hours last night, all I did was build a new tram line, controls are a bit iffy on controller, I can't use Anarchy mod as well as no way to select it, might have to create a customer controller profile or something.

Soldato
I can't believe how many hours I've already played CS2 in a week!!

I never played the original so don't have that to compare!

I do find that I can never meet the demand for the low level residential - even if I zone massive areas the green bar for it is always full!! I'm going to try another build and concentrate more on education I think as my current town/city is struggling with educated workers now.
You don't have to satisfy that demand if you don't want to. As long as there is still medium or high density residential demand you can zone that.

In theory the only way you'd be able to reduce all residential demand to zero is to build extremely limited commercial, industrial and office space, I think.

Back
Top Bottom