Cities Skylines 2 is Official!

Soldato
It's ok but not amazing. Performance and bugs have improved with patches but there's still a lot to do. For example, the sim lags above moderate populations. For me, the game lacks a bit of soul vs CS1 (lack of animations and limited assets), and until there's official mod support and the availability of new assets, it will probably remain that way.

Yup agreed.

What's there is nice, and the game has a lot of potential, but it's lacking a lot of what the first one has, in terms of user made assets and mods etc.

Soldato
The main issue with CS2 is the depth of and relative polish of CS1 after being in development for nigh on a decade and the lack of official mod support.

I’m not too concerned by the former but the latter needs to be addressed ASAP.

Soldato
I’m not too concerned by the former but the latter needs to be addressed ASAP.

Yeah it really does.

I just hope it works out with them trying to develop an "in house" system becuase that is what is clearly holding everything up, and despite what they said I am concerned they are going to try to use that to monetise everything.

If they just unlocked it all or made it available on the Steam Workshop like the first people will do the work for them, and then maybe make more sales of the game as it would then be far more attractive to play.

Time will tell, I feel they are playing a risky game, if they leave it too long people might just loose interest all together and the thing dies off before it ever really gets going.

Soldato
Yeah it really does.

I just hope it works out with them trying to develop an "in house" system becuase that is what is clearly holding everything up, and despite what they said I am concerned they are going to try to use that to monetise everything.

If they just unlocked it all or made it available on the Steam Workshop like the first people will do the work for them, and then maybe make more sales of the game as it would then be far more attractive to play.

Time will tell, I feel they are playing a risky game, if they leave it too long people might just loose interest all together and the thing dies off before it ever really gets going.

I think that I touched on this before. But, even if they wish to no longer use the Steam workshop, covers those buying the game elsewhere and other platforms as to why not, they could have done what Tropico has done.....

Use Mod IO for mods cross platform support

Anno 1800 is supported well with that platform.

Like you, I do have some reservations as to why they wanted to control this inhouse, over that of using the site I have noted.

I really feel that mod support should have been there at launch, the longer it is the more fragmented it is becoming, with some mods already available, as well as being very disappointing.

In the past I used to regularly watch this channel, for both map and mod information....

...he doesn't seem overly impressed with what he is seeing so far, in terms of map creation.

Soldato
An interesting video by Biffa, and the issues he has got with the game. I'd tend to agree with him as well, I've stopped playing, mainly because I'm more of a city painter and the lack of assets is killing it for me as I used to love making British-based towns and cities within Skylines 1.

Soldato
Why aren't they supporting mods properly> it's mods that give these kind of games longevity, and players are used too and can't/wont play without. Then you have big enough active player-base to flog DLC to.

Soldato
Why aren't they supporting mods properly> it's mods that give these kind of games longevity, and players are used too and can't/wont play without. Then you have big enough active player-base to flog DLC to.
The modding framework will come later this year but even then it will be in the Alpha/Beta stage. I think the entire post-release timeline has slipped due to the bug and performance fixes that have need to be released first.

Soldato
My city is up to 305,000 now and the game has completely slowed to a crawl. I'm going to have to start again and build something a little smaller until there's significant performance improvements. Frustrating.

Some of the things you can already do with mods\the dev mode suggests the game is going to be really good once the official mods arrive, assuming they can sort out the performance.

Soldato
OP
Some of the mods mean you don't need to rely on dev mode now, such as surface painter, I've created a controller preset so I can use line tool and this with controller, very fiddly, but not bad, then toggle to controller for everything else. Need a ploppable rico mod next!

Soldato
Yeah I've seen some of that in City Planner Plays and Biffa videos. The ability to set quay\retaining walls looks good too.

They really should just integrate a lot of that into the core game. It's blindingly obvious.

Soldato
Considering the state, in a very positive way, that CS was in when CS II was being planned it would not be unreasonable to have a similar bar set for peoples expectations of functionality, with full mod support, at launch. Minus some of the "exotic" features of some of the larger mods, hence some of the vanilla basic tools are kinda watered down versions of their mod counterparts.
The variety of the vanilla buildings and emptiness of the parks and schools and..........
As it is, it is like they sold the finalised game as being little different from an early access release.
It should not have been this way.

I note that they have made a U-turn in their recently announced choice of going "dark" with no more weekly information. They have now reinstated those, with a differing format...

Last edited:
Associate
Ive stopped following CS2 things, its too damn frustraiting.

Has there been any official statement on how far modding is from being released yet??

Soldato
OP
There are tons of mods and easy to manage once the mod manager is set up, almost as seamless as CS1. Got everyting from anarchy, rico, surface painter, item picker from assests already on map etc.. loads

Back
Top Bottom