Associate
Perhaps another limitation of the supplier router, but does anyone know how you change DNS server on the supplier router for the 3GBps service? The router model number is Technicolor Router FGA5330CFL.

I've looked through the options when logging into the router and cannot see it anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Associate
I don't have the technicolor, but in the Linksys one, changing the DNS (adding static DNS server) is in the "Connectivity" and then the "Local Network" section. And looking at the screen of the options on the CF site, I would suggest trying to look at the following major sections to see if a similar option can be added: "Connectivity", "IP Extras" (If available), "Internet Access", "Broadband", "WAN Services" and then "Firewall". Hopefully they snuck the DNS option into one of these areas.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't have the technicolor, but in the Linksys one, changing the DNS (adding static DNS server) is in the "Connectivity" and then the "Local Network" section. And looking at the screen of the options on the CF site, I would suggest trying to look at the following major sections to see if a similar option can be added: "Connectivity", "IP Extras" (If available), "Internet Access", "Broadband", "WAN Services" and then "Firewall". Hopefully they snuck the DNS option into one of these areas.

Thanks, I'll take a thorough look a bit later. I do have a feeling that they might have locked this particular router down. I might have to go on the hunt for a 3rd party router instead.

Associate
New customer as of last weekend (binned VM after over 20 years at various places). Relatively straightforward install and set up with a pair of MX5600, only problem was me using a 'cat5e' labelled cable for the backhaul which it turned out could only manage 100Mb.

One question though: Does the ONT have to be directly connected to the 'Internet' port on the primary router? I'd like to relocate the router further away from all the other electronic gubbins and the most straightforward way to do that would be ONT > switch, and then connect router to switch with a 5m ethernet cable. Did a quick test of this but couldn't get any connection either wifi or wired.

The alternative would require two long ethernet cables - one between the ONT and router, and then a second back from the router to the switch. Wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd prefer to keep things simple if possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
New customer as of last weekend (binned VM after over 20 years at various places). Relatively straightforward install and set up with a pair of MX5600, only problem was me using a 'cat5e' labelled cable for the backhaul which it turned out could only manage 100Mb.

One question though: Does the ONT have to be directly connected to the 'Internet' port on the primary router? I'd like to relocate the router further away from all the other electronic gubbins and the most straightforward way to do that would be ONT > switch, and then connect router to switch with a 5m ethernet cable. Did a quick test of this but couldn't get any connection either wifi or wired.

The alternative would require two long ethernet cables - one between the ONT and router, and then a second back from the router to the switch. Wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd prefer to keep things simple if possible.
Yes, it needs to be a direct cable, no switch in between.

Must've been a poor quality cat 5e cable, I still have some going around the house happily doing 1gb. Only cat 6 cable I have is the one going outside to the other end of the building.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, it needs to be a direct cable, no switch in between.

Must've been a poor quality cat 5e cable, I still have some going around the house happily doing 1gb. Only cat 6 cable I have is the one going outside to the other end of the building.

My 1GB package came with CAT5E cable, I swapped it out for the thicker 1 metre CAT6 Virgin cable that was on my Virgin SH3 in the mean time. I'll probably get CAT8 cable for £6 since prices are same as CAT7 and my house is wired with CAT7 shielded from top to bottom of the house, yes overkill but more futureproof.

:)

Associate
Fastest speed I've tested at so far is 1040Mb on my tablet, which is impressive and yet also pretty pointless. The switches in my network are both 1Gb and everything wired consistently maxes out just under 950.

Not really worth the expense upgrading for such a small difference.

Soldato
I went with the 3gb service and seeing just over 3gb up/down via a UDM Pro, the supplied router would do 3gb down but only about 1.5gb up for some reason.

Associate
I will be moving houses soon and looks like the new place is covered by both CF and Hyperoptic. What’s is like with stability and speed cuts when watching streaming services and occasionally torrents? At the moment I’m with Virgin and weekends speed wise are sad story - is it the the case with fiber optic providers? Does higher cost of HO means it’s better than CF?

Associate
The higher (or lower) cost is not indicative of being better than Community Fibre. After all, you can get anyrando(BT, Sky, etc)-FTTC VDSL2 80/20 service for new "low cost" of £30.99 a month (as an example), but compare that to Community Fibre or Hyperoptics 1gb symmetric service at between £25 and £39 and you can no longer compare between the two.

As for between CF and HO, I would say they are both around the same, with CF always being a direct fibre line being brought into your premises, whilst HO typically utilise a fibre to the building (MDU) and then use switches to bring an ethernet or fibre line in to your residence (depending on location) to a network terminal for you to connect to. Then the only real major difference when both are available is just the matter of price and possibly if one service provider has difficulty supplying you with a clean service, then you can cancel your contract (in the first two weeks I believe) and try out with the other provider.

Been with CF for 16 months now nearly and only really had two downtimes, with one having an automated notification that they're working on restoring the service and the other one when things went down hard here but was resolved by them performing an online test on the line that kicked awake something I was connected to and service was restored; but I did need to call in to the tech team for this one. In both instances, the supplied modem had a laser/light LED turn red (indicating lost signal) and happened around midnight and lasted for around 30 minutes (for the one that fixed itself), the other one didn't fix itself until I called in in the morning. Otherwise, not really had issue with CF. If there's an issue, you normally know the moment they're done installing the service and you connect. If there's no issue, it shouldn't change until you leave the service. So spend some time testing things out when you first get the service to make sure everything works as you need it to.

Associate
If there's an issue, you normally know the moment they're done installing the service and you connect. If there's no issue, it shouldn't change until you leave the service. So spend some time testing things out when you first get the service to make sure everything works as you need it to.

This. When I first installed BT fibre I had constant issues, which took around three visits to sort out in the first month. Once sorted though, the connection was rock solid for the two years I was with them.

I've now been with CF for a month and no issues so far (fingers crossed it stays that way!)

Soldato
I have only had one issue so far and that was the UDM, the ONT looked fine, reset the UDM interface and it came back online and then altered some settings as it had the SFP as secondary and RJ45 as primary.

Soldato
I will be moving houses soon and looks like the new place is covered by both CF and Hyperoptic. What’s is like with stability and speed cuts when watching streaming services and occasionally torrents? At the moment I’m with Virgin and weekends speed wise are sad story - is it the the case with fiber optic providers? Does higher cost of HO means it’s better than CF?
I can directly compare as I have a family member who's with Hyperoptic, both are as good as each other in terms of actual service. No throttling even during peak times or during long torrenting periods. CF is definitely cheaper though, said family member plans to migrate over once his home is covered.

Soldato
Does speeds get affected during peak times when everyone in a block of flats starting heavy use? Or it’s eliminated by nature of connection?

When the installers completed mine I asked how many have switched in my area, I was the first apparently so cant really comment on it slowing down at any time.

I had a load of steam updates to complete and the limiting factor was the PC lan interface, was going flat out :D

Associate
Am going to be moving into a property that has CF. Do new customer offers still apply?
Ever since they dropped their standard prices to match the offers prices, I don't think you'll get much more other than possibly free installation (as listed above), since it's already at the offer price. So go with what you feel is suitable for your use case compared to the price.

Is Premium wifi package worth over standard 1gbps? Different router then?
I believe that Premium wifi package just gives you one or two more mesh units to attach to the router to complete your coverage. If your residence isn't actually that big or you already have the gear to provide coverage already, then you likely won't need it.

Associate
Ever since they dropped their standard prices to match the offers prices, I don't think you'll get much more other than possibly free installation (as listed above), since it's already at the offer price. So go with what you feel is suitable for your use case compared to the price.

I believe that Premium wifi package just gives you one or two more mesh units to attach to the router to complete your coverage. If your residence isn't actually that big or you already have the gear to provide coverage already, then you likely won't need it.
2 bedroom flat.

Maybe better to get different router if needed down the line?

ASUS RT-AX5400 / RT-AX88U Pro​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom