Dark Souls 3

Soldato
Just watched the vid, I'm not getting my hopes up for a PC release, and a graphical downgrade will happen again. I'm not going to be fooled again From Soft.

Associate
I know I'm in a minority but I really hate these games and can't understand why all the high and even perfect scores they keep on getting. The game mechanics are shoddy at best, the combat feels clumsy and the controls are clunky as hell.

Dark Souls 2 was a new low and Bloodborne hardly felt any better. Sure it looked a little nicer but it felt much the same for the most part, had the dreadful loading times (now slightly improved), laughable camera issues and horrendous frame rate problems which seemed to come all too often and especially right before a perfectly timed move was necessary making it more frustrating than it needed to be.

Funny thing is despite those issues being mentioned in Edge's review of the game they still proceeded to score it 10/10. Each one of the issues I pointed out is worth a point deducted on its own and the game is not that good that it more than makes up for those shortcomings. I mean the story (much like the Souls games) is virtually non-existent.

Okay, rant over and needless to say I will be ignoring any further Souls games. I love a challenge but I also like decent game mechanics. Right, feel free to hurl insults as I know how popular these games are. :p

Well i played both souls games on the PC so didn't run into the framerate issues you mention there. Cant comment on bloodborne as I've not played it but the only times i felt the combat and controls were clunky was when I picked up Dark Souls 1 for the first time and was trying to get to grips with the game. I'd honestly never played a game like dark souls that required anything more then button mashing so it took a while. I've completed both games multiple times now and honestly the controls feel natural and very precise now. Every time i play any other 3rd person game with a controller it doesn't feel as responsive as dark souls, recent examples being GTAV and The Witcher 3.

Associate
Well i played both souls games on the PC so didn't run into the framerate issues you mention there. Cant comment on bloodborne as I've not played it but the only times i felt the combat and controls were clunky was when I picked up Dark Souls 1 for the first time and was trying to get to grips with the game. I'd honestly never played a game like dark souls that required anything more then button mashing so it took a while. I've completed both games multiple times now and honestly the controls feel natural and very precise now. Every time i play any other 3rd person game with a controller it doesn't feel as responsive as dark souls, recent examples being GTAV and The Witcher 3.

Ah I meant Bloodborne with the framerate issues. I too played Dark Souls 2 on PC so despite my opinions of the game, the framerate and performance in general was spot on.

I agree to a point on Witcher 3 as well. Overall I love the controls and combat but fighting in enclosed spaces is pretty bad. Not played that much of GTAV yet but from previous games yeah the controls can be very clumsy.

Bloodborne certainly improved on some of the things I didn't like about Dark Souls but still a long way to go. Perhaps Souls 3 may surprise me. Despite my criticisms it's still likely I'll give it a go.

Soldato
Cannot believe MS just announced this in their E3 XB1 show I guess that means some sort of XB1 timed exclusive which if true is going to anger a LOT of Dark Souls fans :mad:

Soldato
Not a chance it will be. For a start they would have said something straight after the trailer, not skip straight to the next. It'll still probably come to PC later though.

Caporegime
Looks good, though I'd like to see the combat in some sword / sorcery rpg's similar to Severance : Blade of Darkness / Sui Generis (when the latter comes out).

Last edited:
Associate
I am excited for this, though saying that I still haven't finished either of the previous games though i've played quite a lot of them, I just always find something else to play. I will have both of them completed before the release of the third installment, probably.

Soldato
The lack of interest in this topic worries me, I thought people liked good games. :D
I'm excited about it, but I hope it innovates in some meaningful way.

Also not liking the movement speed. It's really fast and it almost looks silly seeing this fully armored character flying around, being able to walk to the side at full running speed and whatnot. Dark Souls has always been about compromises in movement depending on your armor/equip weight. I'm sure the devs will balance the game for this new movement speed, so I'm not worried it will be too easy, I simply enjoyed the slower, more deliberate controls of Dark Souls games. It is one of the major ways it stands out from other types of action/action RPG games. I hope they don't ruin that.

I'll still get it no matter what. Art style looks great, very Bloodborne-ish while having a much higher levels of detail in the environments and whatnot(something that stood out in DS2). Just a tad worried about the direction they're taking the combat.

Associate
Soldato
I think the Dark Souls community is big enough to warrant new game every 2 years. One of the best gaming series ever. The spin off Bloodborne on PS4 is a very good game too. Can't wait for DS3. I'll pre order it for sure.

Soldato
Them loading screens didn't look too long for it being on console. Looking forward to this very much. I have never once cast a spell in either of the two Dark Souls games, will be fun to carry that on through this one too. :)

Back
Top Bottom