Dark Souls 3

Associate
I've got Dark Souls 2 but it's so complicated I couldn't get my head around wtf I was doing or where I was meant to be going, gave up in the end :p

Associate
Visually it looks very similar to Bloodborne, are they being treated as two completely different world's still?

Yep they are two completely different worlds. Its a shame bloodborne is PS4 exclusive, i'd love to play it :(

I hope there is no delay getting DS3 to the PC like there was for DS2. Had to avoid all the DS2 youtube videos for over a month!

Associate
I know I'm in a minority but I really hate these games and can't understand why all the high and even perfect scores they keep on getting. The game mechanics are shoddy at best, the combat feels clumsy and the controls are clunky as hell.

Dark Souls 2 was a new low and Bloodborne hardly felt any better. Sure it looked a little nicer but it felt much the same for the most part, had the dreadful loading times (now slightly improved), laughable camera issues and horrendous frame rate problems which seemed to come all too often and especially right before a perfectly timed move was necessary making it more frustrating than it needed to be.

Funny thing is despite those issues being mentioned in Edge's review of the game they still proceeded to score it 10/10. Each one of the issues I pointed out is worth a point deducted on its own and the game is not that good that it more than makes up for those shortcomings. I mean the story (much like the Souls games) is virtually non-existent.

Okay, rant over and needless to say I will be ignoring any further Souls games. I love a challenge but I also like decent game mechanics. Right, feel free to hurl insults as I know how popular these games are. :p

I know many people with sentiments like yours where the DS series is concerned. However, I also think that their rants towards the series are in the main, uninformed, usually because they have simply found them too tough. Most people that bemoan the DS series seldom get past the first or second boss so cannot offer a valid opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, it didn't immediately blow me away because I bought the Korean import version and because I had no clue what to do (allied to the steep difficulty), it meant I struggled badly and gave up. Considering the early plaudits coming from the Far East about how great this was, I just couldn't see why. I decided to try it again with US version and all became clear.

What.A.Game!

Up to Demons Souls, it had been a long, long time since I had played anything that was so damned difficult yet so perfectly balanced. Every step you took was a risk against reward with mistakes punished. When you died, it was your own fault not the games, and every death you suffered turned the world darker and made the game even harder! It was insane and the fact that your game could be invaded at any point by another player to kill you, simply added yet another layer of difficulty to an already extremely difficult game.

It was a brutal system to foist on modern gamers who had up to that point been fed easy games with quick saving and checkpoints. Most had never seen or played anything like it (probably why there was so much whining about its difficulty). For older gamers like myself, it was a throwback to the days of 3 lives and continue. Super Ghouls & Ghosts, Contra and Metal Slug etc. Games that were unbelievably hard, showed no mercy yet actually had pitch perfect game play, tight controls and were doable, as long as you learned and persevered.

DeS was a daring breath of fresh air in a stagnant game market and it was also innovative. I mean, what other game has you go up against a boss and instead of fighting the AI boss, it has you fighting a random online player who has been summoned to fight you in his place. Or vice versa, you could be going about your business in game and be summoned to be the boss against someone else, or worse – (like I said earlier) be invaded by another player – at any point! Just fantastic..

Its punishing difficulty (especially in the early stages) meant it required real skill to get anywhere, so forced players to learn and think about what they were doing - you couldn't button mash. The fact it also looked and sounded amazing made it even more impressive. I think this is the only game I've played that made me anxious at every turn whilst at the same time, bestowed a sense of genuine achievement whenever a boss was toppled. I think the DS series on the whole is responsible for more ‘phew’ moments than all other games I've played combined.

For me personally, this is what Castlevania 3D should have been.

I was actually playing through DeS recently and it's not aged a bit. It's obviously easier now because I've played through it umpteen times (Shrine 4 being the exception...:mad:) but, it just never gets old - it still feels fresh.

Personally I found Demons Souls much tougher than either of the Dark Souls games but, I think that's simply because it was the first. It came from nowhere and everyone was in the same boat and had to learn the ropes the hard way. Dark Souls just improved on it with some great game play. DS2 whilst not as good as either of it's brothers was still a very good game.

I can’t wait for the third instalment :)

Associate
I'm stoked for this game. Just hope they abandon the Soul Memory PVP system that was introduced in DK2 and go back to the DK1 method or something new.

Soldato
1C7b.jpg

2C7b.jpg

3C7b.jpg

Let's hope they dont suddenly add chromatic aberration to this right before release like they did with Bloodborne.

Associate

There is a network test going on this weekend so there are a few streamers streaming it and putting up youtube videos. It looks fantastic!

Soldato

I dont get the point of this?

But i like how you can actually summon a friend and they aren't a phantom.

Myself and a friend are playing DS2 At the moment, we are around 1/3-1/2 way through?? No idea really.
We take it in turns to do an area, Say i summon him, we clear it and do boss. Then he summons me and we do that again. Works well and we both get good soul amounts from each area. Will 100% want to do this again on the new version so i hope they allow you to summon people based on the name engraved ring again.

Soldato
I loved ds1, enjoyed ds2, this looks awesome though, can't get enough of the DS games... Took a while to get into initially but well worth it.

Hope they keep seed of giants mechanic in the game to punish idiot invaders who hide!

Back
Top Bottom