Dashcams!

Soldato
Gifted my wife one for her birthday a few months ago as that is what she requested. She didn't want/need anything else.
Fair; I got my wife a wet rag/flannel bin for the bathroom for Xmas yesterday. I then borrowed her suit case and she reminded me that was her pressie for the Xmas before.

Soldato
Fair; I got my wife a wet rag/flannel bin for the bathroom for Xmas yesterday. I then borrowed her suit case and she reminded me that was her pressie for the Xmas before.

Last year I got her a Breville coffee maker thing. Some of the family said getting her a kitchen appliance for xmas was a crap thing to do but she loves drinking lattes and is the only one in the house that drinks coffee. This thing does everything for her, heats/foams the milk, decants it into the cup and then does the coffee. She loves it.

Soldato
Last year I got her a Breville coffee maker thing. Some of the family said getting her a kitchen appliance for xmas was a crap thing to do but she loves drinking lattes and is the only one in the house that drinks coffee. This thing does everything for her, heats/foams the milk, decants it into the cup and then does the coffee. She loves it.

Don't see the problem tbh, that actually sounds like the perfect present as you can see she's making a lot of use out of it. I think the problem these days is so many people buy crap for the sake of it being a present and then it never gets used or just gets binned.

Soldato

There's nothing wrong in getting something practical that a loved one will enjoy using every day. It's better than buying crap that no one wants that just ends up in landfill. Christmas doesn't have to be a marketing exercise by companies so you give them your hard-earned money for rubbish no one wants to buy, give, or receive.

Soldato
Decided its time I should get a Dash cam.

Had a look at the ones in Halfords and done a bit of googling and am considering the Garmin 57 and the Nextbase 522GW. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with either or others in a similar price area to consider.

Thanks

Associate
I like the Garmin, had one of the first ones when they first started dashcams and it was perfect apart from they used to overheat. They have since fixed the issue. My next one will be a Garmin most likely as I really like the magnetic screen mount but my Thinkware is still going strong.

Soldato
Yeah, defiantly need these on the roads today. So many ******* drivers that dont know what a speed limit or traffic lights are for! :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, defiantly need these on the roads today. So many ******* drivers that dont know what a speed limit or traffic lights are for! :(

My brother just bought one, not sure what, his boss was in a 3 car collision and the other 2 drivers colluded to blame it on him - only because he had dashcam footage he was able to prove he was blameless.

Soldato
My brother just bought one, not sure what, his boss was in a 3 car collision and the other 2 drivers colluded to blame it on him - only because he had dashcam footage he was able to prove he was blameless.

see what i mean..idiots! dash cams really are a god send these days!

Soldato
I had these fitted last month, they have been pretty much spot on, good quality and the app is easy to use

Soldato
Sorry, didn't get updates after the merge.

I ended up buying a 522GW with power cable and fitting for £175 as it was a decent offer. When I collected the unit (fitting is in a fortnight) they gave me the wrong box so I also got the rear camera, an SD card and a case.

Soldato
yes that's an interesting video had been wondering what dashcams folks use for good night time shots, and video compared ability to resolve number plates
youtube 'research' showed me sony a7 iii (£2k) , 2nd example more reasonable gopro 10,
which is more the kind of polyvalent device I could user for other activities too (like a phone with a good camera could be)

Back
Top Bottom