• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***DEAL OF THE MILLENIUM - MSI GTX 470 Twin FrozR ONLY £143.99 Inc. VAT!!*****

Associate
By the way I brought the 5850 Twin FrozR. I'm interested in PhysX I was going to do an hybrid setup with a GT6900 in STI/Crossfire mode. Would it be more ideal to buy this and sell the 5850? It's just would the 470 be able to handle high hardware PhysX setup on it's own?

bee

bee

Associate
hmmmm seems like i'm gonna go with a pair of these then. i'm running a [email protected], gtx 480, 7 hdd's on a pc power and cooling 750w silencer right now and i'm pretty sure 480 sli would need a new psu, where as i should be able to get away with these on my current psu and these have a huge price advantage over the 560 and 560 2gb whilst still having slightly higher vram than 1gb, which is what i want

Man of Honour
750watt + GTX470 SLI with i5/7+ probably isn't a good idea. Definitely gonna have to stay away from intensive benchmarks/overclocking. Running heaven benchmark with 800MHz clocks on mine pushed the PSU right to the edge and I'm running ~100watt less than a typical equivalent i7 setup.

Associate
might change and get the 470

the 480 overclocks well, but id still have to spend 45 for a decent cooler, where the 470 has a decent cooler and can overclock past 480 stock levels

tough choice really. but i suppose at the moment nothing demanding out

so why not go for a 470gtx which will destroy all games till the next gen is out

Associate
Fantastic deal on theese. Running dual gigabyte 470 oc's here, comfortably run 750 mhz on stock volts, ran them a few times at 800 mhz on 1.075, always been meaning to test how low i can get the voltage to go on them for 800.

the problem is if your slightly undervolting these cards the performance would be less, the smart thing would probably be to overclock with high volts get a 3dmark score and clock it down till you get to the point where the marks start to drop off

Caporegime
the problem is if your slightly undervolting these cards the performance would be less, the smart thing would probably be to overclock with high volts get a 3dmark score and clock it down till you get to the point where the marks start to drop off
Tbh, ive only ran a few benchmarks with them at 800, 3dm 11, heaven 2.1 etc. At a rather modest 750 mhz they breeze their way through anything i play at 1920x1200, as theyre on stock voltage they run fairly cool, and i can use auto fan which keeps them very quiet.

Soldato
1000 units, but 560 have been sold already, as we sold 300 in one go, expected to have sold out very quickly and the price is going up Friday. So you want one at this price you gotta pre-order.

I've already pre-ordered a 480 - just considering changing to two of these.

bee

bee

Associate
750watt + GTX470 SLI with i5/7+ probably isn't a good idea. Definitely gonna have to stay away from intensive benchmarks/overclocking. Running heaven benchmark with 800MHz clocks on mine pushed the PSU right to the edge and I'm running ~100watt less than a typical equivalent i7 setup.

all reviews i've seen show stock clocked 470 sli with the older much more power hungry 1st gen i7@4ghz ish using like 550w on furmark, i have no interest in stupid benchmarks or stress testing only real game loads, should be fine

Caporegime
all reviews i've seen show stock clocked 470 sli with the older much more power hungry 1st gen i7@4ghz ish using like 550w on furmark, i have no interest in stupid benchmarks or stress testing only real game loads, should be fine

23917.png

23920.png

Furmark does tend to up the power draw a lot, not that id advocate using it either.

Man of Honour
After some deliberation I have decided that I...

[TW]Fox;18363307 said:
Will stick with the 480. Faster out of the box by quite some margin and hardly expensive at 195 quid.

I like the "brute force" approach sometimes, and this just feels right :p

Brilliant deal though, looks awesome :cool:

Associate
Uh-oh....feel another wobble coming along :(

480 = 25% on average better performance across the board, but reference cooler and 35% more expensive. Power-hungry, as loud as a 280, but in that price bracket cannot be matched for performance.

470 = cheaper, cooler, 25% less of a card. Unmatched for price-performance in its bracket.

Myself = indecisive, confused, frustrated ;)

Wobble complete! Back to a 480 for me! As has been noted above, brute force just feels right :D

Back
Top Bottom