England squad announcement

Associate
There is. FIFA have the power to suspend any player that refuses a call-up, these threats were fairly common place back in the day. For example I can remember Makelele being threatened with a suspension when he tried to retire from International football - link.

I guess answering my own question, it's up to the FA to push the issue and only then will FIFA act and in this case they haven't.
Like I say, good luck to the FA or FIFA with the court case if they actually tried to force someone to "work" for a national team, especially an away fixture so you can add human trafficking to the slavery charge ;)

What they can, and do, do is say if you declare yourself injured you can't play for your club side for a period around the international fixtures.

So, for example, Liverpool couldn't claim Salah was injured for Afcon but then play him in the FA Cup third round

Don
Like I say, good luck to the FA or FIFA with the court case if they actually tried to force someone to "work" for a national team, especially an away fixture so you can add human trafficking to the slavery charge ;)

What they can, and do, do is say if you declare yourself injured you can't play for your club side for a period around the international fixtures.

So, for example, Liverpool couldn't claim Salah was injured for Afcon but then play him in the FA Cup third round
I have no idea of the legalities and whether it could be challenged however it is a thing and has happened before. Presumably they're not actually forcing you to work, they're just saying that if you refuse to represent your country for x games, you won't be registered to play for your club for x games - you'll still be in work, getting paid etc but unable to play for x games..

Soldato
Henderson, Maguire and Rashford making the team is just sad really. Predictable as well. Rashford I could partially excuse if you focus on just the times he decides to actually remember how to play football. The other two are a complete joke. Sunday league material. Good old Southgate.

Soldato
Henderson, Maguire and Rashford making the team is just sad really. Predictable as well. Rashford I could partially excuse if you focus on just the times he decides to actually remember how to play football. The other two are a complete joke. Sunday league material. Good old Southgate.

Out of the 3 I'd say Maguire has the best case for a spot. The fact the 3 of them are in squad is a joke.

Caporegime
OP
Absolutely ridiculous talking of dragging players to court and suspending them for not wanting to play for their country. It’s a game of football, not bloody national service. Players will have their own personal reasons for rejecting a call up. Just respect the players wishes.

Anyway, it’s not as if he’s been named in the squad and then refused, he’s asked before the squad was chosen to not be considered.

Caporegime
What are they going to do, make someone play. I'd just jog about not breaking a sweat and not get picked again. Turn up late for training and forget my kit :D

Duncan Ferguson refused to play for scotland for multiple managers and no one did a thing and they needed him way more than England need White. Good luck using the courts to make someone play for a team they don't want to in 2024.

Don
I think there's some confusion here. For a start I wasn't suggesting he should be banned, it was just a general observation/query as to why we don't hear FIFA threatening it anymore like they used to. And they don't need to go to court. FIFA have the ability to suspend players who refuse to represent their country (I believe for the same amount of games they miss for their country). If a player wanted to challenge that then they'd have to go to CAS but to my knowledge no player ever has.

edit: just doing a quick google to see when was the last time this situation happened and incredibly I completely forgot that Liverpool had a situation with Matip 2017. He had retired from International football and therefore didn't make himself available for AFCON and despite not being selected by Cameroon, Liverpool didn't select him for 2 games while they waited for FIFA to give them the green light as they weren't sure whether he was eligible to play:

Last edited:
Associate

Maguires always been pretty decent in an England shirt and as much as I disagree with Henderson getting picked, watching him play for Ajax in the last 2 legs of the conference league had me remember that he's got great leadership qualities and experience which you just can't buy.

Are they the players I'd choose? Probably not, but I've never been in that England camp. Chemistry counts for as much as quality in international football I think.

Man of Honour
Mainoo absolutely deserves to be in that squad. His performances have been brilliant, how he is so composed and assured on the ball at such a young age is beyond me.

Just hope we don't do what we're famous for in this country with young footballers, and absolutely destroying them with the pressure and constant spotlight and as Robbo said, fast tracking him like this might not necessarily be a good thing...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mainoo absolutely deserves to be in that squad. His performances have been brilliant, how he is so composed and assured on the ball at such a young age is beyond me.

Just hope we don't do what we're famous for in this country with young footballers, and absolutely destroying them with the pressure and constant spotlight and as Robbo said, fast tracking him like this might not necessarily be a good thing...

Have you seen the click bait on social media for his call up? Like he is the second coming of Jesus. Yes he is good but compared to say a 16 year old Wayne Rooney bursting onto the scene I would say not. Even in recent times Mason Greenwood looks like the most promising talent we have had in years.

I just hope he keeps himself on the ground a bit like Bellingham then he will be sound.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Have you seen the click bait on social media for his call up? Like he is the second coming of Jesus. Yes he is good but compared to say a 16 year old Wayne Rooney bursting onto the scene I would say not. Even in recent times Mason Greenwood looks like the most promising talent we have had in years.

I just hope he keeps himself on the ground a bit like Bellingham then he will be sound.

I dunno, Bellingham looks like he thinks he is the second coming when he plays for RM. To be fair, to be their best player at his age wouldn't do anyone ego any good.

Associate
It still took much longer to convince Southgate to play Bellingham than it has Mainoo.

Personally think Mainoo looks a decent player but it's definitely a little early, but now is a decent opportunity to get him some time. Especially in two low stakes games with midfield coverage already looking thin.

As with any player this age, he'll benefit most from just playing every week and being allowed to develop.

Good to see Konsa get another chance, he's been really solid for Villa.

Back
Top Bottom