FIA WEC 2015

Soldato
Was umming and ahhing about whether to go - should have done. Last time I did the Silverstone 6 Hours was 2012. Will go next year if I don't end up back at Le Mans.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ok, so I was struggling to find online coverage of this race...

Do you have to pay for the FIAWEC coverage or is there a basic feed for free if you just sign up? How do you actually get Motors TV to work - does it need a TV with internet connectivity or can you just watch it online? What's the bandwidth like? Year before last when I subbed up for Eurosport it was hogging about 550mb/s and absolutely tore through data, eating my 20gb limit in no time, so I switched to a hooky feed which was identical quality but only needed about 170mb/s.

Man of Honour
Amazing to see them running mid grid F1 pace, like the early days of Group C as I recall. For me sports cars have always been the king of the sport.

Associate
Ok, so I was struggling to find online coverage of this race...

Do you have to pay for the FIAWEC coverage or is there a basic feed for free if you just sign up? How do you actually get Motors TV to work - does it need a TV with internet connectivity or can you just watch it online? What's the bandwidth like? Year before last when I subbed up for Eurosport it was hogging about 550mb/s and absolutely tore through data, eating my 20gb limit in no time, so I switched to a hooky feed which was identical quality but only needed about 170mb/s.

You can purchase the live stream from the WEC site itself. Its 4.99euro per race weekend or 30euro for the whole season excluding the LeMans 24hr which I believe is an extra 10euro.

Streams are all HD quailty and dont miss a beat for the entire race. Main channel has commentary and about 10 other live on board feeds. Live timing is there also but thats free.

The fee also gives you access to the iphone/android app, which is very good too as you can watch the stream on the move.

As for hogging the line, I didnt notice anything and I have a child playing the usual games and youtube stuff with no issue.

Soldato
Streams are all HD quailty and dont miss a beat for the entire race. Main channel has commentary and about 10 other live on board feeds. Live timing is there also but thats free.

It's not HD (even 720p), or doesn't look it. It might be above SD and it's a bit better than the likes of BBC live streams, but it's not up there with Sky Go in my opinion.

It's fine for watching on a PC alongside doing other stuff, and will look fine on most TVs, but HD it's not.

It's certainly well worth £20 though, and works well with the live timing and no adverts. The onboard cameras are a nice bonus too.

The only downsides are no way of recording or PVR functionality, which is a shame when some of the races will run well outside sensible o'clock (and then there's Le Mans).

Soldato
You can purchase the live stream from the WEC site itself. Its 4.99euro per race weekend or 30euro for the whole season excluding the LeMans 24hr which I believe is an extra 10euro.

The fee also gives you access to the iphone/android app, which is very good too as you can watch the stream on the move.

Agree with all of the above but are you sure about the mobile app? I thought the subs were separate and you had to pay twice if you wanted both?

Associate
Agree with all of the above but are you sure about the mobile app? I thought the subs were separate and you had to pay twice if you wanted both?

I tested it with the 4.99 go over the weekend and was able to use the one account/payment on both which I thought was pretty neat.

All I can say is it looks close enough to HD to watch in Full Screen on a 50incher and it looked great.

As for the race itself, was deadly, way better than the F1 in the morning

Soldato
I tested it with the 4.99 go over the weekend and was able to use the one account/payment on both which I thought was pretty neat.

Ah ok, were you just able to put your username/password into the app then? The only option I could see appeared to be an in-app purchase via iTunes type thing, thus I assumed there was no way to use or attach your website account to it.

Soldato
OP
Not sure what quality the stream is - it seemed to adjust quality due to your connection. Looked about 720p quality. I was happy with it as it was a vast improvement over the mess of the Motors TV picture.

Back
Top Bottom