FIA WEC 2015

Caporegime
Rumours are that Nissan has ditched the power of its rear wheels with electric motors and will instead just use the front wheels for all power, both ICE and electric. It means they will only run in the lowest 2MJ category.

Perhaps not a bad thing. They can use this first year to understand and develop, and then maybe bring in rear wheel motors and a jump to a higher MJ category next year? Audi have been in the 2MJ category for ages and only this year moved to 4MJ.

I wonder what this means for the power output of the Nissan? I expect it will drop a bit, but even then they will be looking at a circa 1,000bhp FWD monster!

Soldato
OP
Shame to hear it might not go to plan, but they've got a hell of a lot of things to get working right. If they can make the car reliable, Le Mans could be a four way fight. :cool:

Caporegime
I doubt it this year as losing the rear motors will surely mean a loss of power.

But the fact it's so bonkers get it merit in my book. It also almost redeems Nissan from the complete farse and con that was the ZEOD. Only almost mind, I will never truly forgive them for what they did to the DeltaWing idea :(

Soldato
OP
But the thing seems so slippery! Should give it the edge for the long straights.

Porsche and their 8MJ system are the ones who I expect to take Le Mans.

Roll on Spa!

Soldato
OP
Hulk should be rapid around here, but as in Silverstone, the Porsche might not be the fastest in the race, but they've probably got something up their sleeve. I expect them to 1-2-3 qualifying though. :p

Caporegime
Hulk should be rapid around here, but as in Silverstone, the Porsche might not be the fastest in the race, but they've probably got something up their sleeve. I expect them to 1-2-3 qualifying though. :p

Are Porsche running a 3rd car? I thought they had a 2 car entry this year again?

Soldato
Both Porsche and Audi are running three cars, both at Spa (as the warm up) and Le Mans.

The spotter's guide seems a bit off with the colours though - Porsche are running a white car, a black car and a red car - which looks great!

Caporegime
Ooo cool. I wonder why Toyota insist on only ever running 2 cars?

Such a shame the Nissan hasn't made it. Means Le Mans is going to be more of a test for them rather than an attempt at being mildly competitive :(

Soldato
Not sure to be honest. I've never seen a decent explanation for it and it's always said you need three cars to win Le Mans (one to crash, one to break down, and one to win).

The three Porsches, by the way: WEC

Injects some much needed colour into LMP1, until Rebellion return if they stick with traditional colours. Oh, or Nissan. Forgot about that...

I agree that the first year is likely to be a bit of a write-off for Nissan, particularly if the rumours about crash tests and powertrains is true.

Soldato
The article also says that the Porsches will all be white at Spa with the coloured liveries unique to Le Mans so the spotters guide is correct.

That's what I get for not reading the article I'm linking fully. Damn...

That explains it then, it's a shame though as we're otherwise lacking in colour a bit.

Soldato
Anyone watching qually?

LMP1s currently lapping 10secs faster than last year's F1 pole time - just lol :D

EDIT: Ah as they've just mentioned, qually was wet in F1 last year so in reality the LMP1s are about 5secs down - still damned impressive!

Last edited:
Caporegime
The LMP1 cars are roughly fast enough to have beaten Caterham and Marussia last year. Considering the weight of them its bloody impressive. That and the fact they can hold that pace for hours and hours.

Soldato
OP
How is the ByKolles so far back? It's an LMP1 with LMP2 pace.

But that Lotterer/Fassler/Treluyer is always so bloody fast. Still sticking with my 1-2-3 Porsche for qual.

Soldato
How is the ByKolles so far back? It's an LMP1 with LMP2 pace.

But that Lotterer/Fassler/Treluyer is always so bloody fast. Still sticking with my 1-2-3 Porsche for qual.

It's still under development, and it's not a hybrid - there's two sub classes within LMP1 - the manufacturer teams are full hybrids, the independent teams are IC only. Now they're not technically restricted to do it this way, but the hybrids are quicker, and cost more, so it naturally falls into place.

Porsche 1-2-3 though continuing the qualifying domination. Enjoyed that, and will be interesting to see how Porsche can convert that to a race win. The Audis aren't too far back, but the Toyotas appear to be quite off the pace - are they still running in high downforce spec?

Back
Top Bottom