Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH (Remake Part 2)

Caporegime
Start of 13 going north. Is this the point of no return?

Looks like, I've just got there now
Done 2 saves

I didn't finish the last 2 maps because it started becoming tedious to find the right path ;(

I'm very so-so about the game
But I'll finish it on about 60 hours.

If it was just the chapter stuff, and let's say this was the first game (including Midgar) I'd feel better.

But having played the original, and on chapter 13 knowing it ends on chapter 14, I'm skeptical I'll be truly satisfied at how it ends until the next game (Which will then have a load of guff to justify itself, probably not carrying on any of the busy work I've done in this game)

Last edited:
Soldato
Im still suck on the last boss. I always get to the final phase and the camera angle messes things up.

Haven't gotten to the last boss yet, I was hell-bent on getting 50000 on SOLDIER training but the wonky camera put me off so much that I gave up:p

I usually stick with challenges like that but I just want to get to Rebirth now.

Soldato
Forcing myself to get used to 30fps for now, it's more bearable than I had thought in this particular game but I can't fully forget about it when I'm playing and it feels off.

Still can't get over a big AAA title like that not taking advantage of 40fps vrr. It would be an absolute game-changer here as the perf mode is too blurry for my taste. Hope that patch comes soon.

Other than that, have been enjoying it so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
And I'm finished Rebirth
Had a bit of jip on the final boss/penultimate part of it with what I think was a bit cheap, but nevermind

Spoiler below to prevent giving away to people who haven't finished yet.

The end is nigh stuff? it really sucks that you can't reorganise anything before this fight.

I managed it but had to save my limit break for the final bit of this, and just try and DPS him down before I got insta-killed. Using limit break just before he triggers the final kill animation is key here I think.

Soldato
Just completed it. Unfortunately it's gonna be a bit less positive than I was hoping. Obvious MAJOR spoilers ahead.

You've been warned

So as I posted earlier, in my opinion they fumbled the Nanaki/Seto bit, which was a bit of a downer for me.

So I was hoping they'd at least stick the landing with the ending and give us that emotional gut punch we were all expecting. Well...I honestly thought it was just a complete and utter mess. While I've been a bit sceptical but tolerant of the whole "Whispers/trying to subvert expectations/multiverse" thing, I just couldn't get with how they handled the ending here. It was an absolute cluster F.

"The moment" happens, but...it doesn't? It kept flipping back and forth between worlds, so it looks like it's happened, then it doesn't. So instead of feeling emotional, you're just thinking "damn, there it is. That's so sad...I think? No wait, yes it is. Or...what? Which version am I seeing now?", then Jenova comes with the music, which I admit was actually very sad and did get to me, but then after Jenova, Bizarro Sephiroth makes a surprise appearance, and it turns out to be a completely insufferable version, because you have to fight him like 6 times, with a random Bahamut thrown in for good measure. You fight as Cloud Solo, then Zack all of a sudden joins the fray, then it switches to another party, back to Zack solo, back to yet another party, and at this point I've completely forgotten about wanting to re-live one of the most iconic moments in all of gaming. I'm just fighting boss after boss, asking myself "why is Zack here? Which version of Cloud is this? Which world is this? So Zack's back in his own world now?"

And then to top it off, you then have to fight human Sephiroth AGAIN, and Aerith comes in one last time. So her death/not death/whatever is just further drained of what little emotional impact this version has, because she just keeps coming in/out/dead/alive. And this particular Sephiroth fight has an insta-kill mechanic until you figure out how to stop it, so again, instead of being caught up in a sad moment, I'm just replaying this boss fight over and over. And let's not even mention the fact that if you lose this fight, there are 3 random options available to you - "Restart from before this battle, restart from this battle" and something else. What do they mean?? "Before this battle" and "this battle" are surely the same thing? I initially kept choosing the 1st option "before this battle", but there was a small cutscene every time I restarted, so I tried "from this battle" to see if that would get right to the start of this last fight, and it took me all the way back to just after Jenova! So I had to fight all the forms of Bizarro Sephiroth again! All my good faith had left at this point and I couldn't be bothered anymore. I just wanted to get it over and done with. Oh, and Aerith still appears in/out till the very end. So before you clock that she's actually dead, you just think "oh, hi again. You're back. Or not. Or you're a multiverse Aerith. Or not. Am I even supposed to be sad still at this point?"

So that's the feeling I'll remember when I look back at finishing playing this game. Not what a beautiful ending it was. Not satisfyingly re-living an iconic gaming moment. I was just incredibly frustrated and wanted it to be freaking done with already, which is not what I wanted to be feeling at all. And bosses aside, I just thought the ending had an air of Kingdom Hearts about it. It's just a vomit of buzzwords over and over that make the story seem like it's stuck on page 1. "reUNioN" "nOT yeT ClouD" "ZaCK?!" "tHE whISPerS!" "I'm stILL alIVE. We'll MeET aGAiN"

I've now got a very sour taste in my mouth waiting for pt3. Time will tell if they'll be able to pull off a miracle and pull it all together.
Really glad I read this. I’m in the temple of ancients, and well, basically… can’t be arsed to continue. It’s such a damn slog. It was bad enough in the original for gods sake.

Anyway. Thank you for the write up. I haven’t missed out on anything. :)

Soldato
The patch for visuals and other stuff is apparently out, will test it in a couple of hours.

EDIT: No surprises, as per Squeenix's usual ineptitude when it comes to fixing stuff, we now have two performance modes: "sharp" aka "blurry" and "soft" aka "blurrier":p They haven't fixed a thing, just added a useless filter on top of something that still looks like it renders at 720p in 2024.

Surprisingly, Quality mode seems to look better so I'll just treat this as a 30fps game and force through. They'll never fix things nor add a much needed 40fps mode. Just like they never did with FFXVI. It's the first game ever where I genuinely think it's better to stomach 30fps than use perf mode.

Shame, as I'm enjoying the experience so far. It probably won't be a 10/10 by the end but it's solid and the atmosphere is great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom