Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH (Remake Part 2)

Soldato
Minigames in games are like sex scenes in films completely pointless and add nothing to the plot.

Tbh a lot of the activities in the game don't really add anything to the plot.

I have a friend who dislikes the game due to the busy work it gives you, he's not really wrong either.

I'm still liking it, but going around the open world and doing repetitive kill/fetch/tower quests is padding of a kind.

This game has quite a lot of filler/padding content, and if you can't embrace that, you'll probably have the same opinion my friend has.

Associate
Regarding 30fps vs 60fps, you absolutely do get used to it, and I say this as a vehement PC gamer with a 144hz monitor who normally doesn't bother with consoles since PCs do everything they can do but better (exclusives aside).

30fps was horrible at first, but after about 20-30mins, I surprisingly got used to it. I did try performance mode for 60fps, but it is noticably less visually impressive. I've also switched between 4k SDR and 1080p HDR (as my TV can't handle 4K HDR). If I play on 4K SDR, the sun is sometimes horribly blinding, so I do play on 1080p HDR at the moment. 4K does look very nice though.

Soldato
I'm also a PC gamer and 30fps is just subpar, especially in a game that doesn't use motion blur, which this doesn't, and an OLED screen makes it feel even worse.

Yes, you can readjust but I switch between 60-144fps content too often so I don't want to spend 20+ minutes every time I launch the game to get used to the slideshow.

I'll wait a bit and if they don't fix the upscalling, I'll just live with the blurriness.

Don't think I'll wait for the PC release, I feel like playing it sooner.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agreed if you’re playing on a large OLED 30fps feels awful. Not all of the time strangely and you can get used to it. Spider-Man 2 was a no but RDR2 was fine so I guess it’s something to do with the pace and how fast everything is moving. For me anyway.

Associate
The characters are just terrible. Just got to Costa del sol. Its basically fan service for adolescent boys.

Just waiting for tifa and aries to have a sex scene it's so cringe worthy bad.

Can't remember part 1 being so basic

Soldato
Yes, you can readjust but I switch between 60-144fps content too often so I don't want to spend 20+ minutes every time I launch the game to get used to the slideshow.

Luckily for me I'm only playing Rebirth at the moment so no real adjustment is necessary, 99.9% of the time I'm playing it doesn't even register it's 30fps. Benefits of mostly being a console gamer through the 90s :)

Associate
Omg, the mini games ... just too damn many of them ( and not as optional as some would make you believe ). I'm kinda enjoying the game, but would have strongly preferred a greater focus on the main story/characters instead of the smorgasbord of mini games we've been served. This is one game I definitely won't be aiming for the platinum trophy - yes, you've guessed it, you need to excel in all the mini games to accomplish that goal.

Associate
Omg, the mini games ... just too damn many of them ( and not as optional as some would make you believe ). I'm kinda enjoying the game, but would have strongly preferred a greater focus on the main story/characters instead of the smorgasbord of mini games we've been served. This is one game I definitely won't be aiming for the platinum trophy - yes, you've guessed it, you need to excel in all the mini games to accomplish that goal.
Yeah at Costa del sol and they are terrible.

Can't wait till the golden saucer

Soldato
If you need to go out of your way for a platinum trophy, then yes it's a lot of optional stuff.

People being unable to just play and enjoy the parts of a game that appeal to them personally? That's their problem, maybe blame companies like Sony for getting you addicted to achievement based award systems if it's legitimately an issue for you.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head, and you can finish the game just fine without the digital head pats.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty sure I’m near the end - don’t worry no spoilers.

I’m extremely happy with the story. Love the characters, the cut scenes and set pieces.

One of my only gripes I guess really (or two) is the reliance on the mini games, seriously didn’t care for most of them, and some dungeons were WAY TOO LONG. I won’t go into detail though. Edit - oh, and I don’t really care for the open world ish areas.

All the characters were as I imagined them back in 97. Just perfect.

Red XIII Spoiler.

red putting on a gruff, mature voice for the first half of the game, only to change upon arrival back to cosmo canyon was perfect (I know his voice change was hinted at in junon) can’t believe he voiced Ryuji in P5 too. Max is a fantastic VA.

And actually cosmo canyon village was incredible over all

Last edited:
Associate
Red XIII Spoiler.

red putting on a gruff, mature voice for the first half of the game, only to change upon arrival back to cosmo canyon was perfect (I know his voice change was hinted at in junon) can’t believe he voiced Ryuji in P5 too. Max is a fantastic VA.

And actually cosmo canyon village was incredible over all

I just finished that myself yesterday. As mentioned above, that's my favourite part of the original and I was really looking forward to it. I was kinda disappointed to be honest.

Cosmo Canyon itself was fine, but the big Seto scene which I was looking forward to...I think it could've been done better. It's a very intimate moment for Red XIII. If the party was gonna split at the beginning, I don't understand why Barret was arbitrarily made to go with him. There weren't even any "shoot the wall" minigames. It didn't make much sense. And then at the end, Bugenhagen specifically asked the party to leave them in the original game, so it really took me out of the moment when Cloud and everyone were magically teleported to the cave with them here.

The overall tone of the scene too...the music was way too theatrical and on-the-nose. Compare listening to "The Great Warrior" from the original soundtrack, it's much more subdued and intimate. And the pacing of the shots...Seto's tears and the slow pan up of the original is one of my favourite moments in any game ever. You barely even see them in Rebirth, and there's absolutely no way Red or Bugenhagen would've been able to see the tears since they all just land on the rock underneath Seto.

I built it up too much in my head, but after coming off from Dyne, I was hoping they do something special with it. It missed the mark for me personally

Associate
I'm up to chapter 9. Just done the stuff with nbarretts friend.

Does this game get any better?? Fed up of 6 hrs world intel for 5 minutes of story

Soldato
I'm up to chapter 9. Just done the stuff with nbarretts friend.

Does this game get any better?? Fed up of 6 hrs world intel for 5 minutes of story

You mean the optional world stuff?

If you're not enjoying the game, why on earth are you continuing to play while asking questions you already know the answers to? The formula is blatantly obvious long before the point you're at, but to answer your question it's pretty consistent in that regard.

Might be time to put down the pad and take a trip to CEX with your copy.

Last edited:
Associate
You mean the optional world stuff?

If you're not enjoying the game, why on earth are you continuing to play while asking questions you already know the answers to? The formula is blatantly obvious long before the point you're at, but to answer your question it's pretty consistent in that regard.

Might be time to put down the pad and take a trip to CEX with your copy.
Because the actual story bits are OK

Like junon, costa and the theme park etc.

Just getting to those places is slow and crap. Its like 4-6 hours of open world tedium for a 2 hour dlc sized story bit.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me if the full game has options for JP text/subs? JP subs weren't available in Intergrade but Rebirth demo has them so hopefully it's the same in the full game.

Soldato
Because the actual story bits are OK

Like junon, costa and the theme park etc.

Just getting to those places is slow and crap. Its like 4-6 hours of open world tedium for a 2 hour dlc sized story bit.

That's fair, but it comes across that you're doing a lot of the more optional stuff when it isn't necessary.

Even from a difficulty perspective, it's not like you need to grind or anything. Some of the side content can be tough, but I've found nothing in the main story that was a challenge personally speaking.

Back
Top Bottom