Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH (Remake Part 2)

Soldato
I'm at the final point of the game now, 52 hours in - had to put down the controller last night or I'd have likely been playing into the morning.

At Cheltenham today so probably won't get to finish it until Wednesday night but honestly, what a wild game. Think I'm due a depressive comedown when I do finish it, there's very few games that grip me like a good Final Fantasy and I fear there won't be another special game like perhaps until the third game for me.

Not without it's flaws, it's objectively a 8-9 game but subjectively an easy 10, they've really done the fans service here.

Hmn just done the gongaga fights they were the most difficult yet
Skip all of the open world sections and pop the game on easy, done.

and some dungeons were WAY TOO LONG. I won’t go into detail though.
I think I know which one specifically you're talking about (they're all a bit too long TBH, but do tend to pay off).

The one specifically I'm talking about, my missus was half watching and hours went by, and she said "hold on, you're still in the same place?"... :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Im really struggling with the image quality

Graphics mode makes me sick; the motion blur makes me literally nauseated and dizzy and performance mode is much better but it looks very low resolution like 720p

Last edited:
Associate
Just completed it. Unfortunately it's gonna be a bit less positive than I was hoping. Obvious MAJOR spoilers ahead.

You've been warned

So as I posted earlier, in my opinion they fumbled the Nanaki/Seto bit, which was a bit of a downer for me.

So I was hoping they'd at least stick the landing with the ending and give us that emotional gut punch we were all expecting. Well...I honestly thought it was just a complete and utter mess. While I've been a bit sceptical but tolerant of the whole "Whispers/trying to subvert expectations/multiverse" thing, I just couldn't get with how they handled the ending here. It was an absolute cluster F.

"The moment" happens, but...it doesn't? It kept flipping back and forth between worlds, so it looks like it's happened, then it doesn't. So instead of feeling emotional, you're just thinking "damn, there it is. That's so sad...I think? No wait, yes it is. Or...what? Which version am I seeing now?", then Jenova comes with the music, which I admit was actually very sad and did get to me, but then after Jenova, Bizarro Sephiroth makes a surprise appearance, and it turns out to be a completely insufferable version, because you have to fight him like 6 times, with a random Bahamut thrown in for good measure. You fight as Cloud Solo, then Zack all of a sudden joins the fray, then it switches to another party, back to Zack solo, back to yet another party, and at this point I've completely forgotten about wanting to re-live one of the most iconic moments in all of gaming. I'm just fighting boss after boss, asking myself "why is Zack here? Which version of Cloud is this? Which world is this? So Zack's back in his own world now?"

And then to top it off, you then have to fight human Sephiroth AGAIN, and Aerith comes in one last time. So her death/not death/whatever is just further drained of what little emotional impact this version has, because she just keeps coming in/out/dead/alive. And this particular Sephiroth fight has an insta-kill mechanic until you figure out how to stop it, so again, instead of being caught up in a sad moment, I'm just replaying this boss fight over and over. And let's not even mention the fact that if you lose this fight, there are 3 random options available to you - "Restart from before this battle, restart from this battle" and something else. What do they mean?? "Before this battle" and "this battle" are surely the same thing? I initially kept choosing the 1st option "before this battle", but there was a small cutscene every time I restarted, so I tried "from this battle" to see if that would get right to the start of this last fight, and it took me all the way back to just after Jenova! So I had to fight all the forms of Bizarro Sephiroth again! All my good faith had left at this point and I couldn't be bothered anymore. I just wanted to get it over and done with. Oh, and Aerith still appears in/out till the very end. So before you clock that she's actually dead, you just think "oh, hi again. You're back. Or not. Or you're a multiverse Aerith. Or not. Am I even supposed to be sad still at this point?"

So that's the feeling I'll remember when I look back at finishing playing this game. Not what a beautiful ending it was. Not satisfyingly re-living an iconic gaming moment. I was just incredibly frustrated and wanted it to be freaking done with already, which is not what I wanted to be feeling at all. And bosses aside, I just thought the ending had an air of Kingdom Hearts about it. It's just a vomit of buzzwords over and over that make the story seem like it's stuck on page 1. "reUNioN" "nOT yeT ClouD" "ZaCK?!" "tHE whISPerS!" "I'm stILL alIVE. We'll MeET aGAiN"

I've now got a very sour taste in my mouth waiting for pt3. Time will tell if they'll be able to pull off a miracle and pull it all together.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just completed it. Unfortunately it's gonna be a bit less positive than I was hoping. Obvious MAJOR spoilers ahead.

You've been warned

So as I posted earlier, in my opinion they fumbled the Nanaki/Seto bit, which was a bit of a downer for me.

So I was hoping they'd at least stick the landing with the ending and give us that emotional gut punch we were all expecting. Well...I honestly thought it was just a complete and utter mess. While I've been a bit sceptical but tolerant of the whole "Whispers/trying to subvert expectations/multiverse" thing, I just couldn't get with how they handled the ending here. It was an absolute cluster F.

"The moment" happens, but...it doesn't? It kept flipping back and forth between worlds, so it looks like it's happened, then it doesn't. So instead of feeling emotional, you're just thinking "damn, there it is. That's so sad...I think? No wait, yes it is. Or...what? Which version am I seeing now?", then Jenova comes with the music, which I admit was actually very sad and did get to me, but then after Jenova, Bizarro Sephiroth makes a surprise appearance, and it turns out to be a completely insufferable version, because you have to fight him like 6 times, with a random Bahamut thrown in for good measure. You fight as Cloud Solo, then Zack all of a sudden joins the fray, then it switches to another party, back to Zack solo, back to yet another party, and at this point I've completely forgotten about wanting to re-live one of the most iconic moments in all of gaming. I'm just fighting boss after boss, asking myself "why is Zack here? Which version of Cloud is this? Which world is this? So Zack's back in his own world now?"

And then to top it off, you then have to fight human Sephiroth AGAIN, and Aerith comes in one last time. So her death/not death/whatever is just further drained of what little emotional impact this version has, because she just keeps coming in/out/dead/alive. And this particular Sephiroth fight has an insta-kill mechanic until you figure out how to stop it, so again, instead of being caught up in a sad moment, I'm just replaying this boss fight over and over. And let's not even mention the fact that if you lose this fight, there are 3 random options available to you - "Restart from before this battle, restart from this battle" and something else. What do they mean?? "Before this battle" and "this battle" are surely the same thing? I initially kept choosing the 1st option "before this battle", but there was a small cutscene every time I restarted, so I tried "from this battle" to see if that would get right to the start of this last fight, and it took me all the way back to just after Jenova! So I had to fight all the forms of Bizarro Sephiroth again! All my good faith had left at this point and I couldn't be bothered anymore. I just wanted to get it over and done with. Oh, and Aerith still appears in/out till the very end. So before you clock that she's actually dead, you just think "oh, hi again. You're back. Or not. Or you're a multiverse Aerith. Or not. Am I even supposed to be sad still at this point?"

So that's the feeling I'll remember when I look back at finishing playing this game. Not what a beautiful ending it was. Not satisfyingly re-living an iconic gaming moment. I was just incredibly frustrated and wanted it to be freaking done with already, which is not what I wanted to be feeling at all. And bosses aside, I just thought the ending had an air of Kingdom Hearts about it. It's just a vomit of buzzwords over and over that make the story seem like it's stuck on page 1. "reUNioN" "nOT yeT ClouD" "ZaCK?!" "tHE whISPerS!" "I'm stILL alIVE. We'll MeET aGAiN"

I've now got a very sour taste in my mouth waiting for pt3. Time will tell if they'll be able to pull off a miracle and pull it all together.

Yeah I decided to look into the story because I didn't particularly care for it after the first and that sums up 80% for me. Weakest point of the game IMO and didn't care for a lot of the introduced nonsense.

Last edited:
Soldato
End of game spoiler

Went through an hour of fights to get to Sephiroth fight with Aerith but I couldn't reassign any materia, so she wasn't equipped for the fight, and I've died four times. So annoying, I've had to start again.

Tragic game design, totally ruining the ending for me which I've yet to even see. Going to pop it on easy and blast through it tonight.

Edit: went ahead and completed it on lunch. 53 hours for my first playthrough.

Utterly amazing game, if there's a better example of fan service overall in gaming I'm yet to see it.

However, a fair few questionable choices, and I'm going to need some time to process the ending..

Last edited:
Associate
thinking of getting a PlayStation just for these games. the PlayStation 1 version blew me away all them years ago. But I'll probably wait till they have brought out all 3 so I can hit it hard.
Don't bother get it now. The first is like 50 hours I'm 65 in to part 2 with no end in sight.

Just done tge loveless performance in chapter 12.

How long till I reach the end?

Soldato
Don't bother get it now. The first is like 50 hours I'm 65 in to part 2 with no end in sight.

From what I recall you still have quite abit assuming you tackle all side bits too

I’d say maybe least 5-8 hours if memory serves me right long time since I finished part one

Associate
I'm 85 hours in and just got to a similar spot in chapter 12. I was expecting to bash through this and maybe mess around with Dragon's Dogma 1 a bit before the next one but it's right around the corner already.

Associate

There are 14 chapters total, so you can't be that far away from finishing.

Back
Top Bottom