Fractal North, case of the year contender

Soldato
All the photos seemed like the wood colour was fairly uniform. What so you guys think, has it now been coated correctly or a down side of wood?

Is everyone else's like this?

Edit: yeah it's definitely not coated. Feels rough all the others are smooth.

Last edited:
Associate
All the photos seemed like the wood colour was fairly uniform. What so you guys think, has it now been coated correctly or a down side of wood?

Can confirm my black tg is uniform, unlike yours Hostile.

Associate

Mine is fine. Second one I had my hands on. Fractal customer service is great. Used few times and was always positive.
Off topic: Decided to go back to the North after few issues with the NV7. Are you going the same route? Bottom bracket pre-revision, won't fit 3 x 140mm. Rear door panel (using it on the left of my desk), is either odd with the door off, but a pain with the door on (narrow space here for manoeuvres :D). The north is the perfect size to be on the desk without being an issue.

Associate
IMG_20230525_180628.jpg

Surprisingly tidy cabling so far. Do like the CPU cable hole. Though there is no way to fit the second HDD bay with a modular PSU... Doesn't matter to me but seems a bit questionable.

First time literally ever doing a build with no recycled parts needed to get going. It's nice having time to plan and understand and not rush because I have no working pc until it's done!

Tomorrow I will be brave and flash the BIOS. Then fit the CPU. Another first!

Edit: not a fan of the white plastic pcie ejector shroud. Why not be silver? Oh well.
Very nice!
I don't get the half-way idea of the manufacturers. For me is either go all tone-matching or don't bother.
Considering their pricing, a white coated PCB also would be fantastic, but as the white version of the North, and its contrasting interior, a dark PCB is fine, but I agree with you. Would be nicer all silver details or all white, or even black would be less noticeable.

Soldato
Mine is fine. Second one I had my hands on. Fractal customer service is great. Used few times and was always positive.
Off topic: Decided to go back to the North after few issues with the NV7. Are you going the same route? Bottom bracket pre-revision, won't fit 3 x 140mm. Rear door panel (using it on the left of my desk), is either odd with the door off, but a pain with the door on (narrow space here for manoeuvres :D). The north is the perfect size to be on the desk without being an issue.

Yeah I've made the same move. Got a NH12 Noctual cooler, a same fan for exhaust. This case is the perfect size for my parts and it's a living room PC, so fits in better.

Soldato
Small observations from building today...

There is no hecking way you are fitting more than one 3.5" hdd if your PSU is modular. Maybe it's viable if all your cables come out of one corner, but if the front of it is covered in sockets and you use them... well. Sorry for the cable clutter (but this is part of the point) but you can see the hdd. There are technically 4 positions for the caddy, but if you want 2 you'll have to use the left most and the right most. Yes the black "shadow" on the right side IS the PSU. There is no space for cables to come out of it if you put a drive there.

IMG_20230607_170057.jpg

It is possible to mount one of the caddies upside down on the underside of the shroud - however it is horizontally aligned with the first screw point underneath and therefore shares exactly the same problem. Unless your modular PSU has all the cables at top or bottom, you cannot put a drive here.

IMG_20230607_170510.jpg

I will say; this isn't a problem for me personally. I only have the 1 spinny drive, and now that it's in, I have realised it is the loudest thing in this case when at idle. Hard to overstate how absolutely silent this PC is from 3 feet away, and I'll put it on the floor so... yeah. Never have I had a stronger desire to swap that last HDD out for an SSD. Soon as 4tb drops close to £100, I'll be rid of this old clunker.. Won't need a fast drive, it's just big media storage (there's a 2tb sn850x in here for my speed needs).

I'm also struggling a bit for how to deal with the CPU cooler's RGB cable clutter. I've had to settle for just using a couple of white twisty ties to keep them together, and hold the shortest one against the lid. Part of me is wondering whether I'm man enough to disassemble the whole thing, snip the cable and take a few inches out, but that's probably too much effort.

IMG_20230607_170011.jpg

Other than that, the cabling is by far the best I've ever managed :)

Still in my spare room with my backup GPU in it, but the 3.5 and 2.5 drives are in so the back side of the case doesn't need to come off again. Viewed from a normal angle, the cable clutter just won't be visible - I love this new trend of the PSU shroud for the lower section and I feel like Fractal Design were on point with the dark grey internals so the LEDs I have don't glow it up excessively. I may turn them off, may not, we'll see.

IMG_20230607_170341.jpg

Still need to move my proper GPU, m.2 games drive, and Soundblaster Z from the old PC. I have a hunch the red lights in the Soundblaster are going to annoy me, but that's ok - there's a really good youtube video on how to take off the shroud and either cover or snip off the LEDs completely. It looks very simple to do and the card is well out of warranty anyway. I don't think I can even be bothered to try the sound on this motherboard (Asus X670E-A) because experience suggests onboard has never, ever competed with even a budget Creative card.

Edit: no, the Peerless Assassin absolutely will not fit on top of LED ram! I didn't know this when I bought it, but got lucky because I'd spotted these "low profile" G.Skills on a decent offer a few months back. It is however drop dead quiet once you throttle it to about 60% in the bios. I wasn't expecting to end up with a silent build, but I keep forgetting that I've left it on and it's only when I turn the lights off to go to bed that the LEDs remind me. The graphics card will be by far the loudest part when gaming.

Edit 2: I'm currently reading up on whether any of the lower 3 m.2 slots are the "best" place for my old 1tb Samsung 970 Evo. I suspect that with X670E nothing ends up halving in bandwidth, or if it does, it'll be that bottom 4x PCIE slot which I only need 1x of anyway because that's where I'll put the soundblaster. Although I guess one of these slots is direct to CPU, I'm not sure I should worry about that for a PCIE 3.0 drive?

Last edited:
Soldato
So got new one, its better. I.e its fully coated. Second one is pretty different though.

image to url

Anyone mind showing me a picture of there's see I'd there all like this or just recent ones? All the media photos seems like only small variations.

Soldato
Sure we will be able to buy different ones eventually too. Be nice to swap them out for different styles now and again.

Would be nice but in my experience Fractal have rarely ever offered anything as an accessory or spare part outside of warranty. They have always been amazing whenever I’ve needed a spare part, but ever since they stopped selling spares it’s been getting hard to retrofit bits to a case that never came with them originally (for example, a glass panel to a solid case).

Would be nice if they offered something kind of changeable front but I wouldn’t hold my breath…

Associate
Finally got round to moving my PC parts from my old NZXT H510 case to the TG Black Fractal North that had been sitting in the dining room for a couple of months. Also bought a Razer Chroma controller and some argb fans seeing as my mobo is an old Tomahawk B450 so sans 5v. The build from the mobo side was relatively straight forward, although given i was going to top mount the AiO (Arctic Freezer 240, which fits) you have to ensure that the mobo power is preconnected and that all the fan/ led cables are fed through the small hole. This of course would have been smoother had i fitted the PSU in the back first!!! Back panel connections were fine, though the Chroma would not fit on the SSD tray with space to close the back panel, so i used some velcro to fit it to the recess at the front end. Managed to fit the two HDD trays (one bottom front the other top back) though with the semi modular PSU it became fiddly to connect the cables to the PSU in situ.

I almost failed a the first hurdle in getting the glass panel off as i misread the instructions thinking it was pull towards then slide, not slide then pull towards! ><

Whilst the North is a far better case overall, there are build features on the H510 that i just preferred. Cable space being the main one.

Oh and i love the led strip light on the top control panel, that is a rather nice touch!

Back
Top Bottom