Frankly obscene Ring 42.8% subscription increase

Man of Honour
Blink doorbell and sync module do ok for me.
same

i was recently also thinking about buying into the blink ecosystem and getting a couple of outdoor cameras...definitely put that on the backburner now, seeing what amazon has done with ring.
if they increase the price of blink basic i'm definitely bailing and getting another system.

Man of Honour
One is listening... :)
Would it not be postable on said here forums?

I've just set the Reolink Doorbell up with Pushover and it works :)

if you are on gMail you will need an APP password, go in your account, click on Security and look for APP Passwords (I had to search for it).
It then gives you a 16 letter code that looks like this eg: vdht zotm njzq aliu
It is important to remove the spaces when you put that in the Reolink as your email password.
It is free for a month and then a one off payment of around £5.

pushoveralert.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw this thread and petted my 4 camera Ubiquiti system with 24/7 recording while feeling slightly smug. I do absolutely acknowledge that I have probably spent more money but the gap is closing very quickly now and I have local 24/7 recording which is something you can't get with Ring et al.

I think ChrisD surmises my view perfectly (although I'm pretty sure he stole it from me :p).

For non-Chinese, non subscription, easy to set up and high quality cameras which integrate well with their network system, I personally don't find them that expensive.

I didn't actually spend a huge amount in addition to what I already had to add the camera system, I already had the POE switch and Clouldkey Gen 2+ from my wider network kit and I already had a hard wired door bell I had 230V power at the chime already but I did re-run the door bell wire in the wall as part of the install for a cleaner look. In all adding it cost me the door bell, 3 cameras and a 5TB 2.5" hard drive. I didn't put it in all at the same time, I've slowly built it up over time, starting with the door bell running off the stock 1TB HDD.

You could put an equivalent Reolink system together for far less if starting from scratch. That said, people sell used Ubiquiti kit for a fraction of the price of new so its worth looking at used.

Spending the time getting everything hard wired is the way to go, I get why people want an 'easy life' and chuck up battery cloud cameras. For me, having to swap batteries all the time is grief and having spare batteries adds a lot of cost. I also get a lot of pride out of doing a really neat job on a hardwire install, I love to stand back once I'm done and think, 'yup, nailed it'. I'm not in any stretch a trades person but I do love a good day on the tools and do a bloody good job if I say so myself.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ahhh, cool.

The Garage camera is an E1 Pro and revolves 360 degrees.
The front is an E1 Outdoor and also revolves 360 degrees.

I said a few posts above, without a Reolink subscription I'm getting picture alerts from my Doorbell sent to my phone by using an APP called Pushover.
I could have alerts for all 4 but that would be overkill.
Just to verify, if you want picture alerts with Reolink you have to subscribe but there is a way around it with Pushover.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, I'm all WiFi.
They are an electricity cable and two Satellite cables.
I can't think what the white one is.
I’d that grey cable electrical?

If so it wants swapping out for something external grade. Normal T&E does not like UV at all and will only cause problems in the long term.

Edit: I should have added that the pic gives a pretty good idea of what can be done with Reolink and it’s pretty affordable.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Account, id rather have something I can access just locally with no email account creation. If app requires account to connect to camera that would be the same thing.
Pretty sure you can do it locally but I think certain features are limited like push notifications, but things may have changed.

Soldato
What's the concern about creating an account?

Having a video doorbell is kind of pointless if you cant access (and speak to people) remotely. By far the easiest way to do that via the cloud features.

If you are concerned about using your email account, just create a new throw away account and use that.

Caporegime
I would definitely consider the Reolink as a replacement to my Nest if it dies, seeing as they have a PoE version now. Or potentially the UniFi doorbell now that I have a Dream Machine Pro. Staying away from the unifi cameras though, very overpriced for what they are IMO. Maybe if money was no object.

I also have nest.
Bought them all Second hand.
I run the free service. It's a bit **** as you only get 3 hours of past stuff. So if something happens at 1am the footage is gone.
But it's mainly for day time stuff parcel stuff and watching my chickens.

Although the hardware is great I do regret not getting eufy or something non sub. Just becasue of this. But at the time nest was great with it's motion detection zones.

But yeah. If Google ditched the free service? I'd ditch all the hardware and go to a subscriptionless model.

Back
Top Bottom